Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, silvertonesx24 said:

I was referring to the anamorphic desqueeze monitoring option. I don't see a logical reason to only include one ratio, especially when all of the good lenses are different ratios.

Agreed about the de-squeeze options.  If I were writing the monitor firmware I'd allow a continuous variation between 1.00x and 2.00x (at least to 0.01x resolution), and then show the resulting output rectangle ranging from 4:3 to 2.66:1.  "Special" values like 1.33x, 1.5x, 1.79x, and 2x could be made available in a separate dumbed-down menu I suppose.  I think the problem is that anamorphic is confusing to many people, and Panasonic has made some lowest common denominator assumptions about their customer base.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I watched that Isobel movie shot on the GH5 in Hybrid Log Gamma posted earlier (link here) and it looked really good on my 10bit IPS monitor (LG 31MU97).  But the monitor is not HDR so I went and watched it on my HDR TV (LG OLED65B6P) and DAMN, some of those shots are really stunning in HDR, especially this one below.  The dynamic range and 3Dness / pop in this shot is really amazing.  Color is also fantastic.  If you have an HDR display definitely check it out.

All of this GH5 awesomeness makes me want to ditch my Sony gear and get one but the biggest thing I honestly need is reliable touch-screen focus with good tracking, which it sounds like the GH5 is not quite there yet on.  Still searching for some autofocus example videos on the new firmware.  If anyone spots one please post it in the thread.

Isobel_vespa.thumb.jpg.7059bb70a563ac5ccaec5490dc85c21b.jpg

26 minutes ago, tellure said:

I watched that Isobel movie shot on the GH5 in Hybrid Log Gamma posted earlier (link here) and it looked really good on my 10bit IPS monitor (LG 31MU97).  But the monitor is not HDR so I went and watched it on my HDR TV (LG OLED65B6P) and DAMN, some of those shots are really stunning in HDR, especially this one below.  The dynamic range and 3Dness / pop in this shot is really amazing.  Color is also fantastic.  If you have an HDR display definitely check it out.

All of this GH5 awesomeness makes me want to ditch my Sony gear and get one but the biggest thing I honestly need is reliable touch-screen focus with good tracking, which it sounds like the GH5 is not quite there yet on.  Still searching for some autofocus example videos on the new firmware.  If anyone spots one please post it in the thread.

I'll be picking up one these B6 sets next week.

12 minutes ago, tellure said:

Are you using Chromecast ultra to view this in hdr? If not, whats your work around for viewing in hdr? The native YouTube app on the Lg bp6 doesn't currently support Hdr. Netflix and Amazon apps do, but not YouTube.  

40 minutes ago, sam said:

Are you using Chromecast ultra to view this in hdr? If not, whats your work around for viewing in hdr? The native YouTube app on the Lg bp6 doesn't currently support Hdr. Netflix and Amazon apps do, but not YouTube.  

I'm watching the YouTube app on a PlayStation 4 Pro

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/ps4-netflix-youtube-hdr/

Need some help from someone with Vlog, and premiere for windows:

Do you remenber the bug with 10 bit footage, when editing premiere shows a heavy cropped preview?

After last premiere update this was fixed, but i found that with vlog and 10bit footage the bug persist at least for me. But only with vlog, others profiles works ok.

Can someone check this ?

On 9/3/2017 at 2:56 PM, Andrew Reid said:

All you have shown is that the GH5 is unsuitable for EXTREME GREEN backgrounds and SHIT looking images.

Anyone can break a file.

I can break the Alexa's files!

This sounds a lot like people said when everyone realized the 5D2 had pattern noise in shadows (in raw stills).  I'm not sure what the defensiveness is about, esp from a guy who generates clicks ranting about certain camera brands.  It's proven pretty useful to know when and how an image falls apart and how that compares to other known quantities.  

9 hours ago, tellure said:

I'm watching the YouTube app on a PlayStation 4 Pro

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/ps4-netflix-youtube-hdr/

Thanks! I had hoped you found a workaround or new firmware . Xbox1s  YT app doesn't seem to support hdr on the b6 but plays 4khdr blurays fine for me.  Does the small hdr pop up window show in the upper right of your screen when streaming hdr files from YT as it does for amazon and netflix? Anways, the gh5 video you mentioned does look nice but curiosous why they had the hlg file professionally graded when it's meant for Sooc.  

19 hours ago, tellure said:

I'm reading everywhere that the LG B6 does not yet support HLG. Also, no YT 4K HDR? I've read they don't have a VP9 encoder...

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm reading everywhere that the LG B6 does not yet support HLG. Also, no YT 4K HDR? I've read they don't have a VP9 encoder...

Yeah it is confusing.. apparently HLG support was added in a firmware update for the E6 models, but so far I haven't found any report that it made it to the B6.  And my firmware is still  04.31.20 which was from March (added HDR game mode to reduce latency in HDR mode).  On top of that it's hard to find out how to get the TV to even display whether it's displaying HDR content or not.  You can get the resolution & audio format by clicking the input but no HDR info.  And the 'stats for nerds' button doesn't seem to work on the PS4 YouTube app (though it does say it's a vp9 stream on PC).

What I can say is that watching HDR videos on YouTube on the PS4 pro, including this one, definitely LOOKS like HDR - extreme contrast ratio that's way beyond what I have on my monitor or my old Panasonic TC-P60VT60 plasma.  In any event, I don't want to derail this thread further with a bunch more non-GH5 discussion; if anyone else has an HDR display give this video a try and report your findings.