Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

Impressive update. 

Seems that they have fixed highlight clipping in iso100?

Is the minimum shutter speed working now with video?

Can you trigger the IS lock with a FN-button and during recording?

Why not make HEVC available for normal 8 bit 4k videos too? It would save data storage for amateur users. 

Panasonic should finally change their policy of showing exposure values in video. I would like to see aperture, shutter speed and iso when shooting video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
39 minutes ago, Vesku said:

Impressive update. 

Seems that they have fixed highlight clipping in iso100?

Is the minimum shutter speed working now with video?

Can you trigger the IS lock with a FN-button and during recording?

Why not make HEVC available for normal 8 bit 4k videos too? It would save data storage for amateur users. 

Panasonic should finally change their policy of showing exposure values in video. I would like to see aperture, shutter speed and iso when shooting video.

I think you already know the answer to your HEVC question, Sean Robinson explained to Photo Joseph during a series of lengthy interviews why Panasonic chose not to include H265. This video was posted in a GH5 thread a long while ago. May I ask under what circumstances you'd want to trigger the IS lock during recording?  I'm also curious why anyone would shoot video using aperture priority...

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I think you already know the answer to your HEVC question. Griffin Hammond explained to Photo Joseph during a series of lengthy interviews why Panasonic chose not to include H265. This video was posted in a GH5 thread a long while ago. May I ask under what circumstances you'd want to trigger the IS lock during recording?  I'm also curious why anyone would shoot video using aperture priority...

The shooting situation may change from following/panning to stationary and wice versa. It would be nice to freeze/un freeze the IS then without stopping the recording. One Canon camcorder has this freeze-button and it works during recording.

I use aperture priority almost always outdoors. Indoors I use fixed shutter speed (1/50s in europe) and auto iso. It would be nice to see shutter speed outdoors and auto iso reading indoors. Fortunately GH5 has finally auto iso limiter also for video so my iso wont go crazy high. Auto iso limiter should have more steps. It has now only 1600, 3200, 6400 etc. Iso2000 would be optimal for me. Minimum shutter speed would be nice too when using aperture priority. I dont want to go below 1/60s outdoors. I have started using 4k 60P more and more for normal outdoor shooting so too low shutter speed is no more an issue. With a tele lens a still may want to limit shutter speed not going below 1/200s.

Auto exposure works well enough for me and I can help it adjusting EV if I see too dark or too bright image. I shoot many times watching LCD and I cant even see the tiny exposure numbers or expo meter. I have very rarely unsatisfied exposure level with auto exposure / EV correction. 

I think Panasonic may add more HEVC options when the h.265 becomes more common and computers will get more power.

2 minutes ago, Vesku said:

The shooting situation may change from following/panning to stationary and wice versa. It would be nice to freeze/un freeze the IS then without stopping the recording. One Canon camcorder has this freeze-button and it works during recording.

I use aperture priority almost always outdoors. Indoors I use fixed shutter speed (1/50s in europe) and auto iso. It would be nice to see shutter speed outdoors and auto iso reading indoors. Fortunately GH5 has finally auto iso limiter also for video so my iso wont go crazy high. Auto iso limiter should have more steps. It has now only 1600, 3200, 6400 etc. Iso2000 would be optimal for me. Minimum shutter speed would be nice too when using aperture priority. I dont want to go below 1/60s outdoors. I have started using 4k 60P more and more for normal outdoor shooting so too low shutter speed is no more an issue. With a tele lens a still may want to limit shutter speed not going below 1/200s.

Auto exposure works well enough for me and I can help it adjusting EV if I see too dark or too bright image. I shoot many times watching LCD and I cant even see the tiny exposure numbers or expo meter. I have very rarely unsatisfied exposure level with auto exposure / EV correction. 

I think Panasonic may add more HEVC options when the h.265 becomes more common and computers will get more power.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:10 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I will be putting a good word in for you with Panasonic

Hopefully they will do the extra stretch factors, we need 1.5x as well for Iscorama!

Awaiting the anamorphics Brian... To say I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with is an understatement :)

Hi Andrew:  Any input you can give to Panasonic would be terrific - I really appreciate it!  I'm really psyched about the GH5, and think it could become a really major anamorphic camera since the format is basically the same size as a 4:3 crop of Super 35.

Regarding anamorphic lenses, I'm currently working on primes, and they are mechanical beasts due to the Panavision-style counter-rotating  Stokes lenses.  So, I'm in the weeds worrying about screws, bearings, and special tools needed to manually pre-load a whole bunch of anti-backlash gears.  One thing related to M43 and the GH5 is that they will be compatible with the M43 Ultra Speed Booster59a969922899d_Screenshot2017-04-2007_36_26.thumb.jpg.0594a504d291f1df5418c3084bf08b85.jpg via high quality PL-to-EF adapters, which will create T/1.4 speed for all but the longest focal lengths.

18 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

E-Infinity. 

The price of stuff on that site is incredible.

For instance, the Olympus zoom I got is around £1200 in stores like WEX - whereas I bought it for £639. 

Had zero issues with them. 

It seems there's no VAT included on the product, and even then, it's still cheaper when you compare prices when it's excluded. 

Thanks. Where are they coming from? I've ordered from HK in the past.

On 31-8-2017 at 0:10 PM, Andrew Reid said:

I will be putting a good word in for you with Panasonic

Hopefully they will do the extra stretch factors, we need 1.5x as well for Iscorama!

Awaiting the anamorphics Brian... To say I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with is an understatement :)

... I have a Samsung NX1 and Bolex 16/32, and also the NXL adapter. Still happy with the NX1 but consider buying the GH5. With a 1.5x factor the decision to change will be more easier ;-)

TBH I've always unsqueezed my Isco 36 to 1.33x. This is nice because 16:9 becomes 2.39:1.

It's a bit vertically stretched in the center, but the edges are right when you're as wide as you can go.

1.5x was wishful thinking / marketing on Isco's part at the time. Shoot a ball in different parts of the frame and check out what unsqueeze ratio makes it a circle again.

49 minutes ago, NewFilmMaker said:

It sounds like the new anamorphic mode is only good for 1.33x and 2x anamorphic lens, anyone can share their ideas about the workflow for 1.5x lenses like iscorama & bolex anamorphot ?

If I understand correctly, the de-squeeze only applies to the viewfinder image.  You can of course de-squeeze the actual footage to any value you want in post.