Panasonic GH5 Review and exclusive first look at Version 2.0 firmware

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, TwoScoops said:

Where did you get it for 1319? Thanks

E-Infinity. 

The price of stuff on that site is incredible.

For instance, the Olympus zoom I got is around £1200 in stores like WEX - whereas I bought it for £639. 

Had zero issues with them. 

It seems there's no VAT included on the product, and even then, it's still cheaper when you compare prices when it's excluded. 

40 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

E-Infinity. 

For instance, the Olympus zoom I got is around £1200 in stores like WEX - whereas I bought it for £639. 

It seems there's no VAT included on the product, and even then, it's still cheaper when you compare prices when it's excluded. 

Good share, thanks! I've heard good things before of: http://www.onestop-digital.com (HK, and there's a VAT free guarantee for some countries, check the FAQ). Bought my Leica 15mm f/1.7 at eglobalcentral. Had always been wary of them popping up in my Google Shopping results for dirtcheap, seemed fishy at first! But they sure delivered, both figuratively as literally!

38 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

E-Infinity. 

What's the delivery like on E-Infinity

12 hours ago, Emanuel said:

John Miller's stuff (Congrats man!) on the 1st one. Nick Driftwood is another part of the chain-link fencing.

People want to knock the C200 footage and praise this camera. Come on now. Would love to be proven wrong with some natural looking greens though. 

I love the specs but haven't seen anything image wise that I loved.

1 hour ago, BenEricson said:

People want to knock the C200 footage and praise this camera. Come on now. Would love to be proven wrong with some natural looking greens though. 

Well I can't say that the c200 noise performance looks particularly great. At least from this video... 

Hello, I read your GH5 review and it sounds like this update will be a good one.

I read that you felt like the autofocus improvements didn't really improve that much to where you would shoot video with autofocus. I am wondering about face tracking in video. With the current GH5 firmware 1.0 I am using, it's completely broken. It puts the box on your face, but does not focus at all when recording.

I have found the best autofocus settings right now are 1 area, with custom settings: +5 speed and +3 sensitivity.

Does the face tracking now work in the gh5 2.0 firmware?

Asking because I have my girlfriend film me a lot and am not looking forward to teaching her manual focus. But have been contemplating that.

Right now I just leave it on autofocus and have her press in the shutter button halfway.

Hey guys,

I cannot say that I appreciate the videos above more than non HLG stuff. Would it look awesome or just better

on a HLG capable TV? I mean, a PAL video looked baaaad on NTSC TV back then in DV times. Playing it on a Pal set it looked fine then of course.

Playing a badly done video would look adequate but still bad on the adequate PAL TV.

With the videos above, do they just look adequate or awesome on the adequate TV sets?

I imagine that they are nice tech demos, demonstrating the DR, little noise, variety of colors, even if not so pleasing looking.

That way the footage might be showing off the blank and techy looking qualities for what it´s necessary to be able to shoot some real awesome looking image quality..

Yeah I found some problems with the greens in V Log as well. I really had to desaturate the clip after making it Rec709 to lessen the green. Here's an ungraded and graded screengrab from Andrew's footage, in case someone else wants to give it a go but cannot download it. Thanks for the test footage, Andrew.

Ungraded

IMG_1070.JPG

Graded

IMG_1072.JPG

Obviously I'm not a good colorist but it should be interesting to see what others come up with.

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I see rather the opposite.

On the contrary, I don't see anything from others from same range (when not higher) you can't mimic (or even overcome) on GH5... And that includes Blackmagics.

Show me something that may prove I am wrong ; )

To me, that's also the typical self-confidence attitude that you're able to get it better no matter what 'cause "I am or my camera is the one". A reverse of my neighbour's grass is greener. This is very human, but simply not science.

I'm sorry but I only see subjectivity on GH5 criticism when not to justify why "I am not in the mood or don't want or simply won't buy the camera for whatever reason is" under different circumstances varying from case to case obviously; sorta non-investment excuse or alike. Also because I concur we all need to defend previous investments already done or recently made... Nothing more : ) Well, maybe only food for thought or just my two cents :-)

From what I have seen GH5 can produce really nice colors once the proper LUT is used ;)

James Miller GH5 examples are still the reference point for me. The new firmware will only improve the colors from that so for $1800 is a steal. 

Now if we talk about a $7500 camera the expectations are higher. 4 times higher to be exact... 

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I see Luca (NX1 speed booster designer!) has been playing with my footage :)

Nice grade, even from the Rec.709 standard profile you can see the dynamic range

For those who haven't downloaded the files yet, check it out especially the AF test shots.

Thanks for the edit and grade Luca

looking absolutely gorgeous man.