The Ability to Improve at Cinematography

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

JCS, why do you think this health advice is relevant for a camera forum?

It's getting hard for threads about creativity and gear to be waylaid like this almost every time with your new age philosophies.

Please let's try and stay on topic.

Because cognitive functions and creativity go hand in hand, I guess.

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

JCS, why do you think this health advice is relevant for a camera forum?

It's getting hard for threads about creativity and gear to be waylaid like this almost every time with your new age philosophies.

Please let's try and stay on topic.

While it's true that others waylay some of my posts, I stay focused on the search for truth, wherever it may lead, while being respectful. I suppose I could take conversations to private message, however some people do appreciate the health topics. For example one member messaged me privately asking about one of these items his doctor also asked him to stop using; now he better understands why we both said the same thing.

Diet also affects learning and behavior. Avoid or minimize sugar, caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol. Detox the body with herbs and supplements. Meditate and exercise every day. This will result in learning anything faster.

This thread is about learning new things, the above information promotes improved learning, and facilitates creativity with a better functioning mind. While I don't mind being called "new age" (don't really identify with that, more of a science guy vs. woo woo), the information I post can be backed up with scientific research.  I can't tell you how many times I've had technical and creative breakthroughs after meditating and/or exercising. I've also seen excellent boosts in energy and cognitive performance after changing my diet and following the same suggestions I give: I practice what I share. I'm constantly working to improve communication skills to avoid being preachy, which is what tends to annoy people, as does the know-it-all archetype.

"sugar, caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol" are highly addictive and ultimately toxic to the mind and body. I've seen unbelievable suffering from addiction, including a close friend's father who's dying from diabetes, losing his body limb by limb as he slowly and painfully dies. It's not just his pain, but his wife & children's: so much suffering. If we all kindly remind and encourage each other to avoid these toxic things, much suffering can be reduced or eliminated. And at the same time we can increase our learning ability, productivity, and creativity.

@jcs, Your texts on technology are exellent and providing all the information and help for further research.

On topics like health, in my opinion a different style of writing would be adequate: Eat well, do exercises and your camerwork will be better thought out and executed. That way camerawork will

stay in focus. Otherwise your post would rather suggest your own thread.

That is a most foremost thing, staying on topic! About working and training muscle memory and beforehand being in a good shape: At one thing handheld shooting made my shooting better conceptually, simulating a jib, a tracking shot, pan- helpin all in laying out and planning a sequence.

What it also did though, it made me miss that one or two important locked medium shots. So best is to have physical practice and to have the very basic film grammar down. Anything else can be rooted from that. Having shooting styles of the greats boiled down into one liners and standard vocabulary.

Tony Zhous video essays are great examples of that. And writing or writing stuff down improves cinematography fundamentally, as a great master of cinema gives a great example of:

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's not the style of writing or anything to do with the advice he's offering, I have no opinion on that... It's the fact I don't want camera and cinematography threads dragged off topic.

Agreed, staying on topic is a good idea.