help me with my kit conundrum

gethin

I just shot my first 2 projects in 4k after using nikon d5300/d5500's for years.  At the moment there's more to like than dislike, but the major problem I've got is that the gx85+ speedbooster is heavier than my d5300 and my gimbal cant handle it.  I was hoping the IBIS would take care of the mircro jitters but if anything it makes them worse. (Because set at 8mm - 11mmx0.71 - the edges of the frame dance).  Other things: noise in shadows is not good, hard to lift. Highlight rolloff a bit nasty

I dont really have M4/3 glass. was trying to hold out for nikon mirrorless or to see what sony's next round it but I need a quicker solution.

I have a bunch of options (in AUD):

Buy bigger gimbal: $1400 (Pilotfly H2+ 45 or Beholder DS2A for $800)
Buy cam with better IBIS (?) (and low light/noise/dyanamic range)
Buy much lighter wide angle (8-18?) $1400 - I presume the dual stabilisation would help with jitters too.

Ultimately I'd want to be shooting full frame or aspc, so any M43 stuff is an intermin solution.

Any thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had the GX85 for about 6 months last year and I was blown away by the IBIS. The ability to use old c-mount lenses and vintage primes on a modern 4K camera handheld was very cool and in a lot of ways spoiled the way I shot. But I did notice some of the issues you mentioned and it was never perfect, but still better than lugging around a tripod.

Then when I decided to move onto a more cinematic look with the 5D3 and ML Raw, I assumed I would just use my ai-s lenses, but I decided to try a native Canon zoom... the 24-70mm f/4 and I was stunned to learn that the OIS on the Canon lens is as good, if not better, as the IBIS on the GX85.

With that being said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you go out and buy a 5D3 and shoot ML Raw but since gimbal work is important to you, and since AF is important for gimbal work, I think you may only have two options if you want to stay with 4K...

The a6500 with it's touchscreen PDAF and IBIS. Or the 5D4 with its touchscreen DPAF and a Canon OIS lens.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

@gethin The Laowa 7.5mm f/2 is super light and (relatively) inexpensive. 

thanks @jonpais something else to consider :D I'm going to see how cheap I can find it over here...

3 hours ago, mercer said:

and since AF is important for gimbal work, I think you may only have two options if you want to stay with 4K...

The a6500 with it's touchscreen PDAF and IBIS. Or the 5D4 with its touchscreen DPAF and a Canon OIS lens.

actually for years I've just found the hyperfocal distance as wide as I could go and hoped for the best.  Doesn't work on FF but you can get away with it on apsc (stopping down a bit), and M4/3.

But being able to pull focus on a gimbal with a smartphone say would be AWESOME.  Can you do that with the a6500 and gh5 I wonder?