Has Cinema5D lost all credibilty?

EthanAlexander

• Administrators
On 29/08/2017 at 1:13 AM, OliKMIA said:

The problem with all online publication is the business model. Free website must rely on some sort of  advertising and affiliates link to pay the bills (web hosting, IT, writers, etc.). I don't know much about Cinema5D but if you don't pay a dime to visit the website what do you expect?

Except it's run by a bunch of extremely rich guys who work full time in the film industry, and choose to give nothing back for free - it must be for a profit at all times!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

and choose to give nothing back for free

Hmm...It's hard to give knowledge "back for free" nowadays. Simply just look at many reputable and very solid reviewers, when sharing their experience and tests for free: they get insulted and very often offended by fanboys of other brands, they get accused of beeing paid by manufacturers, etc....A bunch of dumb and not educated, bored idiots maraude through the web trying to destruct other peoples work and opinion. Just for their destructive "fun"...

I admire people who still share their knowledge and experiences for free, but I can completely understand the guys who give up teaching / educating others for free (or for a small affiliate amount). For what? For getting offended and insulted by a bunch of frustrated idiots? Just look at many YT or other comments, respect for other peoples work is completely gone, it's wild west now...

Sharing knowledge for free is crucial for the devlepment of an industry and human beeings. But beeing respectful - even if you don't agree with author's opinion - too...

• Administrators

There's always room for premium paid content, I like Sean Reid of Reidreviews for instance even though his entire site is behind a paywall!

I don't mind it, I'm not a communist. If it wasn't for the EOSHD shooter's guides I wouldn't be able to do this site.

The thing with Cinema5D, it just seems it is a ploy to boost their profile as filmmakers whilst raking in the ad dollars, otherwise the content would be entirely different, and a damn sight more useful!

In fact I am overall disappointed with 90% of what is out there at the moment, far too much click bait with even DPReview now in on it too. I am beginning to turn off.

Philip Bloom when he was blogging - instant inspiration and I wanted to grab the camera.

Click bait - zero inspiration, I feel treated like cattle.

Z-Reviews on YouTube is great for headphone reviews by the way... THAT is the kind of colourful, engaging outspoken personality you need to get people enthusiastic about a good product. I have spent thousands on headphones because of this guy!! And enjoyed every moment of it!!

Good products deserve good coverage.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Except it's run by a bunch of extremely rich guys who work full time in the film industry, and choose to give nothing back for free - it must be for a profit at all times!

Didn't know that. By the way, I'll be in Berlin tomorrow for a few day. My offer to buy you a beer and say hi still stands if you want. Cheers Andrew.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

In fact I am overall disappointed with 90% of what is out there at the moment, far too much click bait

Yep...Every writer/puiblisher begging for attention and more coverage...But - as it seems to be - a majority of audience likes titles like "...the new Sony killer...", "...the real Canon killer...", etc. Will an factual article/review/test get the coverage, or does it need a bouncing title and wording?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The thing with Cinema5D, it just seems it is a ploy to boost their profile as filmmakers whilst raking in the ad dollars,

They position themselves as "pros", knowing cameras and the "magic sauce" for professional work. It's some kind of gear and knowledge elitism. And elitism is - from a business point of view - not bad when used as unique selling point. There are many potential customers out there who like this attitude, as they suppose to get the best DP/shooters on the market to work for them...

In my eyes, Cinema5D runs a business - trying to get very good paid shooting jobs AND trying to position themselves as "market influencers" too...It's a kind of "dual channel" business...They simply don't care about sub 2.000 USD buyers and shooters, as - they want to express - "pro cameras" are much more expensive...

20 hours ago, Arikhan said:

[Cinema5D] simply don't care about sub 2.000 USD buyers and shooters, as - they want to express - "pro cameras" are much more expensive...

I wouldn't even care if they only catered to expensive cameras if they were actually adding to the discussion in meaningful, transparent, and honest ways. 

Prolost still does some great articles that actually inform. For instance: https://prolost.com/blog/rawvslog?rq=log "raw is not magic" helped me learn a lot about how code values are actually recoded in camera and better understand the pros and cons of raw and log.

It's night and day more helpful than cinema5D's "You NEEEEEED raw. What's that? A brand new, expensive camera that shoots raw happens to be affiliate linked in the post and mentioned first thing? That's so weird... Totally not planned, we swear."

On 8/31/2017 at 11:41 PM, PannySVHS said:

Lemme know, when you´re around. We could hang out and shoot something nice and relaxed. :) 

Sure, maybe in five years time I'll be visiting Berlin? ha :-P Sorry, no immediate plans at all to go to Europe currently :-/

On 9/1/2017 at 1:02 AM, EthanAlexander said:

Prolost still does some great articles that actually inform. For instance: https://prolost.com/blog/rawvslog?rq=log "raw is not magic" helped me learn a lot about how code values are actually recoded in camera and better understand the pros and cons of raw and log.

Yes, that is an excellent looking article!