First paid job - need advice PLEASE!

Charlie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, tupp said:

Nice work!

However, please don't speed-up the music of legacy artists, such as Al Green (singing the Beatles).  :bawling:

Hey man, agree to disagree.....I know more about Al Green than even Al Green does!!! hahaha, seriously, my favourite singer, know all his tracks inside out. The pitch shift suited the video.

My fiends think im obsessed with Al Green, they are probably right, Willie Mitchell had a sound that has never been reproduced, many have tried!

11 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Best of luck! How much did you end up quoting?

400 a day for production - 1 Day

300 a day for editing/grading/music - 3 Days

I then offered a 50% discount on the above, one time only - so 650 total for my services only - A STEAL!

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Hey man, agree to disagree.....I know more about Al Green than even Al Green does!!! hahaha, seriously, my favourite singer, know all his tracks inside out. The pitch shift suited the video.

My fiends think im obsessed with Al Green, they are probably right, Willie Mitchell had a sound that has never been reproduced, many have tried!

400 a day for production - 1 Day

300 a day for editing/grading/music - 3 Days

I then offered a 50% discount on the above, one time only - so 650 total for my services only - A STEAL!

yeah 650 for 4 days of work including gear. That is a steal. They will not find a cheaper professional. (I have my share of cheap video's in the past, like 5 recording sessions for a band in the studio, which I had to sync each instrument to the video which turned out in a real nightmare so that was a fasttrack to quiting doing video fast ) But I have a fulltime job which pays my bills, and I am doing only interesting video projects on the side. So I rather turn down 10 crappy video's and do 1 decent instead, even if I would make 2X that much.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

yeah 650 for 4 days of work including gear. That is a steal. They will not find a cheaper professional. (I have my share of cheap video's in the past, like 5 recording sessions for a band in the studio, which I had to sync each instrument to the video which turned out in a real nightmare so that was a fasttrack to quiting doing video fast ) But I have a fulltime job which pays my bills, and I am doing only interesting video projects on the side. So I rather turn down 10 crappy video's and do 1 decent instead, even if I would make 2X that much.

I did not get the job, obviously someone went even cheaper!!....its a small city, I am sure I will find out who ended up doing it. They must be desperate.

21 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I did not get the job, obviously someone went even cheaper!!....its a small city, I am sure I will find out who ended up doing it. They must be desperate.

That's too bad... for them. Seriously. I've found, through experience, that clients that lowball like that are also the biggest headaches. They likely would have piled on extra requests, wanted infinite revisions to your edits, etc. that would use up more of your time. If they can't come up with 650 for three days of work, they aren't valuing their own business very highly. I have no doubt they will find someone cheaper, but the end product will look exactly like what they paid for it.

In other words, don't feel bad and DON'T feel like you should ask for less for you talents!

1 hour ago, NX1user said:

That's too bad... for them. Seriously. I've found, through experience, that clients that lowball like that are also the biggest headaches. They likely would have piled on extra requests, wanted infinite revisions to your edits, etc. that would use up more of your time. If they can't come up with 650 for three days of work, they aren't valuing their own business very highly. I have no doubt they will find someone cheaper, but the end product will look exactly like what they paid for it.

In other words, don't feel bad and DON'T feel like you should ask for less for you talents!

Here is the worst part...

I have found out who is doing it and they actually have talent, some nice work on their website.

They have quoted 510 euros total, all crew, actor, edit, colour, music...the lot!

More than anything I am angry with this person for not valuing their own time, I am itching to contact them directly and ask them what on earth they are thinking!....but it probably wont achieve anything and it is a small city where people talk way too much - not in a good way.

I will start looking for work in Madrid and Barcelona instead.

11 hours ago, NX1user said:

That's too bad... for them. Seriously. I've found, through experience, that clients that lowball like that are also the biggest headaches. They likely would have piled on extra requests, wanted infinite revisions to your edits, etc. that would use up more of your time.

I second that. You don't want to work for this type of customer. 650 euro fpr 4 days at 4-5 hours per days is like 30-40 euro per hour of work. Minus the taxes and gears payment, actors, song , etc. You may make less than flipping burgers at Mc Donald's.. It's not worth it.

10 hours ago, Charlie said:

Here is the worst part...

I have found out who is doing it and they actually have talent, some nice work on their website.

They have quoted 510 euros total, all crew, actor, edit, colour, music...the lot!

More than anything I am angry with this person for not valuing their own time, I am itching to contact them directly and ask them what on earth they are thinking!....but it probably wont achieve anything and it is a small city where people talk way too much - not in a good way.

I will start looking for work in Madrid and Barcelona instead.

Forget about it. This is just not the market you want to be in anyway. Let them deal with shitty money it and focus on your next step (marketing, doing more video, learning new stuff, etc.) to get big accounts. And if there is nothing in your area, I would seriously consider doing something else otherwise you will end up like your starving "competitor" and prostitute yourself for any job.

5 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

I second that. You don't want to work for this type of customer. 650 euro fpr 4 days at 4-5 hours per days is like 30-40 euro per hour of work. Minus the taxes and gears payment, actors, song , etc. You may make less than flipping burgers at Mc Donald's.. It's not worth it.

Forget about it. This is just not the market you want to be in anyway. Let them deal with shitty money it and focus on your next step (marketing, doing more video, learning new stuff, etc.) to get big accounts. And if there is nothing in your area, I would seriously consider doing something else otherwise you will end up like your starving "competitor" and prostitute yourself for any job.

I'm seriously considering moving to one of the big cities, Madrid etc. I have no ties, kids, wife, whatever.

Just now, jonpais said:

I think he said he has a successful interior design business...

Yes, I kinda remember that being mentioned. 

But it lacks specific details, is it a business that is tied down to a brick and mortars location? Or is it a job he can take with him to wherever he has an internet connection? Or is it somewhere between these two extremes?

On 31/08/2017 at 1:25 PM, IronFilm said:

Yes, I kinda remember that being mentioned. 

But it lacks specific details, is it a business that is tied down to a brick and mortars location? Or is it a job he can take with him to wherever he has an internet connection? Or is it somewhere between these two extremes?

I just need a computer and a wifi connection to do my job!.....everything is designed in 3D CAD and files for manufacture sent via email, dropbox, whatever.

On 30/08/2017 at 6:51 PM, NX1user said:

That's too bad... for them. Seriously. I've found, through experience, that clients that lowball like that are also the biggest headaches.

Yup. I've also noticed an interesting pattern where the lowballing clients with the less amount of money demand the most. Then the clients with the actual cash are more easy to work with. Weird.

5 hours ago, hmcindie said:

Yup. I've also noticed an interesting pattern where the lowballing clients with the less amount of money demand the most. Then the clients with the actual cash are more easy to work with. Weird.

I certainly agree. Have come across more than a few myself. As someone said earlier, makes you question whether you even like doing this or not. I've had clients who have asked me to "match" or "requote" a hundred or two higher than some months-old newbies (I have coming to six years' experience in this field) who were quoting half my price. I don't need clients like that.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:33 PM, Charlie said:

I just need a computer and a wifi connection to do my job!.....everything is designed in 3D CAD and files for manufacture sent via email, dropbox, whatever.

Nice! Then go ahead and move to a bigger market where you'll have more opportunities.  

On 8/29/2017 at 11:44 PM, Charlie said:

Okay, but keep in mind that such a treatment of a classic album cut screams "millennial discarding the sanctity of the original," and some in the position to hire might react adversely.

It's almost like using hip-hop jargon in business correspondence -- probably not a good idea.

... just keeping it real, Holmes...

Charlie your work is excellent and certainly worth what you were asking and then some. I would suggest being the producer on small projects such as this. What I mean is to hire the sound person yourself to make it easier on your clients and retain control of who you work with. Last thing you want to deal with is getting the job and find out your client hired an audio person for $50 a day. Best of luck!