Feiyutech a2000

DBounce

The new Feiyutech a2000 was sitting at my door waiting to great me on Friday. I had purchased this gimbal as a replacement of the Zhiyun Crane V2. I had found the Zhiyun to be less than ideal for flying the GH5 with the anamorphic adapter installed. The is largely because when counterbalanced the movement of the camera is more limited. Comparing the two I would say the Feiyutech is better made, and better thought out. It can easily accommodate the larger anamorphic setup and at no point feels overworked. The remote is built into the handlebars, which can be folded for transport. setup is a breeze and minor changes to the balance of the camera do not require rebalancing. It is easy and fast to use. And these are two things I like a lot. Below is some quick footage of the GH5 with SLR Magic 40 Compact anamorphic adapter on the a2000. The taking lens is the 35-100mm f2.8 ver 2, which is quickly becoming my goto lens when shooting anamorphic.

Comment welcomed. Enjoy!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 hours ago, DBounce said:

The new Feiyutech a2000 was sitting at my door waiting to great me on Friday. I had purchased this gimbal as a replacement of the Zhiyun Crane V2. I had found the Zhiyun to be less than ideal for flying the GH5 with the anamorphic adapter installed. The is largely because when counterbalanced the movement of the camera is more limited. Comparing the two I would say the Feiyutech is better made, and better thought out. It can easily accommodate the larger anamorphic setup and at no point feels overworked. The remote is built into the handlebars, which can be folded for transport. setup is a breeze and minor changes to the balance of the camera do not require rebalancing. It is easy and fast to use. And these are two things I like a lot. Below is some quick footage of the GH5 with SLR Magic 40 Compact anamorphic adapter on the a2000. The taking lens is the 35-100mm f2.8 ver 2, which is quickly becoming my goto lens when shooting anamorphic.

Comment welcomed. Enjoy!

You're really nailing the 1.33 40...how heavy is the setup as you posted...iwhat is comfortable time wise for a take?....looks great!!

2 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

You're really nailing the 1.33 40...how heavy is the setup as you posted...iwhat is comfortable time wise for a take?....looks great!!

Thanks, I'm really trying to embrace shooting anamorphic. These takes honestly did not require much prep. No more than 10 minutes. It was adhoc, so pretty quick. I set the GH5 to a max ISO of 1600 to keep things cleaner. The setup is pretty light, particularly if you are using the handlebar kit. Everything in this setup is there for the following reasons: 

1. Lightweight:
    I would guess the setup pictured is about ~7lbs. I have not weighed it, but it is much more manageable than my Letus Helix Jr. It's about as light as you can go if you intend to fly an anamorphic
    setup. I considered the Atomos Ninja Inferno, but the size and weight, combined with marginal battery life, were all things I felt would hinder the usability of the rig.

2. High quality:
    The Panasonic 35-100mm offers nice quality and is fast enough within the usable aperture range ( >f4 ) to be a great taking lens when combined with the SLR Magic 40 Compact and a gimbal. A big
    plus is that all movement is internal. Also the practical zoom range when combined with the 40 Compact is 35-70mm. Beyond that and the image breaks down, while going below yields vignetting. 

3. Flexible use:
    The Feiyutech a2000 can be purchased with both single and dual handle setup. This makes it easy to go ultra compact when required. The handles have a remote built in, so no more fussing with bluetooth. The thing just works... which is what I require when time is short. While the zoom means I can quickly dial in whatever focal lengths I require. And should I need some ultra closeup shots, I can quickly throw on a diopter, without upsetting the whole setup as the motors are powerful enough to make up a minor weight difference and the gimbal automatically calculates the weight change and adapts. 

4. To decrease time between takes:
    All of these things combine to make this setup quick to get into action. It's very none fussy. I just doesn't get in the way of getting the shot.

• 7 months later...

Good day. I got the gh5s and this gimbal. I have watched every single video on youtube on how to balance it 100% and for some reason i fail to do so. the tilt balance is great but the role axis is where the problem is. Can you please help me as i have a big job coming up and i need this working 100%?

On 4/17/2018 at 6:56 AM, ooquis said:

Good day. I got the gh5s and this gimbal. I have watched every single video on youtube on how to balance it 100% and for some reason i fail to do so. the tilt balance is great but the role axis is where the problem is. Can you please help me as i have a big job coming up and i need this working 100%?

You might need to use the software to recalibrate your gimbal. I never needed to do this as the gimbal is generally pretty forgiving when balancing. 

@DBounce

Thanks for posting the footage. Seems to be quite smooth.

Would the GH5 when NOT using an anamorphic setup balance well on your Crane Gimbal? (I have an original crane and I MIGHT end up with a GH5 some day... who knows???)

Also - and I am not trying to be a hater so please  understand that first - there are some shots that are out of focus. Was that an artistic choice? Or was that just the GH5 having a hard time acquiring focus? Or were you shooting manual focus? I ask because SOME people say the AF on the GH5 is not great.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

@DBounce

Also - and I am not trying to be a hater so please  understand that first - there are some shots that are out of focus. Was that an artistic choice? Or was that just the GH5 having a hard time acquiring focus? Or were you shooting manual focus? I ask because SOME people say the AF on the GH5 is not great.

Thanks in advance.

I would say the majority of the shots were out of focus, if any main subject was the point - the dog, the woman, the man. The motions were way too swift, and almost nauseating. I am not sure what this video is supposed to demonstrate about this rig. With camera movements that fast you can often get away with no gimbal. To see a gimbal's prowess I would think that you want to asses if there is shake for a static shot that lasts more than 2 seconds and what happens when the operator moves with the camera, not so much (as here) what happens when the operator stays in place and the camera is moved around.

2 minutes ago, markr041 said:

I would say the majority of the shots were out of focus, if any main subject was the point - the dog, the woman, the man. The motions were way too swift, and almost nauseating. I am not sure what this video is supposed to demonstrate about this rig. With camera movements that fast you can often get away with no gimbal. To see a gimbal's prowess I would think that you want to asses if there is shake for a static shot that lasts more than 2 seconds and what happens when the operator moves with the camera, not so much (as here) what happens when the operator stays in place and the camera is moved around.

What can I say, you are welcome post something better shooting on a gimbal with an anamorphic adapter and manually focusing. Then you will also learn that on the GH5, indoors, you're going to need to open up the aperture, after which you will discover that with the SLR Magic 40 compact shooting wider than f4 makes the image soft. 

As for using a gimbal for static shots... I use a tripod for that. The reason I purchased a gimbal was so I could follow a moving subject.

7 minutes ago, DBounce said:

What can I say, you are welcome post something better shooting on a gimbal with an anamorphic adapter and manually focusing. Then you will also learn that on the GH5, indoors, you're going to need to open up the aperture, after which you will discover that with the SLR Magic 40 compact shooting wider than f4 makes the image soft. 

As for using a gimbal for static shots... I use a tripod for that. The reason I purchased a gimbal was so I could follow a moving subject.

I assume you can do all of this better than I can, and if that is your best, I'll pass on this setup. Is your own conclusion from this test video that the setup - gimbal plus manual focusing and both moving subjects and moving camera - works? And, no, you can do static shots with a good gimbal as well as moving shots, no need to go back and forth in most cases.

2 minutes ago, markr041 said:

I assume you can do all of this better than I can, and if that is your best, I'll pass on this setup. Is your own conclusion from this test video that the setup - gimbal plus manual focusing and both moving subjects and moving camera - works? And, no, you can do static shots with a good gimbal as well as moving shots, no need to go back and forth in most cases.

Not sure if I can do a better job than you. I can only tell you if stopped down, focus and softness are less of an issue. While a gimbal can be used for static shots, for my taste if doing static shots, I feels a tripod is the best option. I got the gimbal to have dynamic moving scenes. I am aware that some become nauseous from this type of motion. But for myself, this only happens in very extreme movements.  

As for my conclusion... well my conclusion was to purchase the Tilta Nucleus M. And there ended all my focus worries.

9 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Here's some nice anamorphic/gimbal work with the GH5.

That's some nice outdoor footage. But being outdoors means they could stop down. Also half the scenes are slow-mo, which helps a lot. Now try doing that in a cramp basement... while going down stairs with hardly any room to move. 

This is a completely different scenario. I'm not saying someone out there could not do better... I am certainly not the standard to judge by. 

On 4/17/2018 at 1:56 PM, ooquis said:

I just purchased this gimbal and i have the same problem. After balancing the roll axis, the camera doesn't stay in place when you move it in that axis. The camera has to stay in any position after a proper balancing right? The problem is solved by rising the camera on the tilt axis but then you have the tilt balance messed up. Has anyone found a workaround on this?