D850 released. Nothing to see here, move along

gethin

@BTM_Pix

:grin::grin::grin:

Just expecting to see some 4k low light footage and then hold it in my hands and do some test shots. Last week I've buyed a Zeiss Otus 28mm 1.4...with Nikon F - now I only wait for the proof of the D850 qualities. BTW: I shot the Zeiss with a cheap K&F Nikon2NX adapter on the NX 1 some days ago. Colors, contrast and detail are mindblowing - from edge to edge...Can hardly wait to see this exceptional lens on a D850...

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Lars Steenhoff

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Remember the hateful title of the thread? "...d850 nothing to see here - move along ...". It seems, the GH5 and the a7r ii have to "move along" in some case...:grin:

No offense for Pana and Sony fanboys and pathetic mirrorles advocates, just a suffisant remark...

Disclaimer: I use Nikon gear, but emotional investment in a brand is absolutely counterproductive.

10 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

still think the focus sucks even when tony thinks its better than a7r2 which i don't believe 

Just quoting one of the numerous IMAX Hollywood blockbuster filmmakers in internet forums: "Pros use manual focus only. AF is only for pussies [...]" :grin:

9 hours ago, Arikhan said:

Remember the hateful title of the thread? "...d850 nothing to see here - move along

I'll happily admit I was wrong about the d800 too, when it came out the idea of a 36mp sensor with less noise than a 12mp (d700) was ludicrous (to me).  I own it and love it. The title was because of the reasonable expectation of some basic features it should have to be interesting to this forum: filmmakers.  This camera is not entirely off my wishlist, but if you were shooting 95% video I still say you'd be bonkers to have this camera on yours.  And the title comes from my frustration with nikon, who have no cinema camera line to cannibalise for not pushing the envelope.  High bitrate, h.265. Focus peaking in 4k, these aren't "you expect your camera to make you breakfast" things, heck even some sort of raw video should be feasible, even if in short bursts.

I want to keep using nikon stuff, and I need a camera that I can shoot my stills and video with, but I'd be amazed if I bought this (especially at $5400AUD) that I wouldn't be kicking myself when the A7r3 came out: all it needs to do is have better 4k full frame than the a7r2 and it's already a better filmmakers camera.

On 9/16/2017 at 3:58 AM, wolf33d said:

Lot better image quality (colors + lowlight + clarity) on the D850 VS A7R2 and GH5. Apparently AF in video is also better than those two. 
Impressive. 

ISO 25600 part is unreal. Its like one or at least half stop better than A7R2, while sensor's actual S/N ratio is a bit higher in A7R2. Nikon has a better temporal noise reduction engine? Didn't expect that really. 

On 9/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, wolf33d said:

Lot better image quality (colors + lowlight + clarity) on the D850 VS A7R2 and GH5. Apparently AF in video is also better than those two. 
Impressive.

Yes, an impressive comparison.  I would not have thought that's how the cameras rank.  Although the GH5 seems to have more information in that overhead light, but the overall image seems darker.

I am not familiar with the autofocus on the other two cameras but the D850 is complete trash compared to what Canon has going on.  It is amazing how DPAF has become essential.  Obviously the GH5's IBIS is another almost essential tool now.

I would love to see the D850 and GH5 each tweaked to their best settings (speedbooster, log, WB, etc) and compared.  The WB for the GH5 and A7R2 are terrible in this video and it just makes me wonder if other things have not been optimized.  I mean I don't know what settings could explain away the low light results other than addition of a speedbooster but it would still be nice to see something really optimized.

D850 looks like a monster.