D850 released. Nothing to see here, move along

gethin

• Administrators

About the only thing the D850 offers over the D750 is 4K and 1080p 120fps slow-mo

These basically came by default with the new Sony sensor tech.

Nikon sketched out the specs they wanted and Sony gave it them.

I wish they'd tried harder to design a genuine leap forwards.

A mirror-up mode with EVF sliding in front of the OVF like the Fuii X100 and Dual Pixel AF would have transformed this camera not just for video shooters but for photographers as well.

Is it much lighter than the D810? That was a brick.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

About the only thing the D850 offers over the D750 is 4K and 1080p 120fps slow-mo

...and much larger buffer (D750 about 10 images, D850 51 images 14b)...and focusing in complete darkness like the D5 (D750 focuses quite well in low light, but yet, miles away from D5/D500)...and 45 MP instead of 24 MP....and NO low pass filter --> a bunch more sharpness... and for sure much more weather sealed than the D750.. illuminated buttons (very useful)....and, and, and...

I own the D750 and I like it - but as it seems at the moment, the D850 is a "one for all" and will beat the honorable D750 in many ways --> sports, HQ commercial photography, landscape, wildlife, AF in the darkness (interesting for journalists) etc.
The capability of storing different RAW formats (large, medium, small) makes it even more interesting, because more flexible for shooters to store just the amount of data needed...

I can't for the life of me imagine any sane person buying the D850 primarily for video.  Canon's dual-pixel auto focus is more than a piece of software, it is a combination of sensor technology (pixels set aside to double as focus receptors) and tech.  They've been working on it for a long time and it keeps getting better and better.  What this article tells me is Nikon is becoming more of a weather-sealed professional stills-photography eco-system built on Sony sensors.   As Andrew pointed out, too many sensor similarities to Sony's other cameras.  When will Nikon build dual-pixel auto-focus for video?  Looks like never; or at this point it's too late.  As for 4K, as someone above pointed out, 4:2:0 shouts chroma-compromised.  I recently bought a Canon C100 for $1,500.  Don't flame me, but for video it makes my Sony A6300 seems like just TOO MUCH WORK.  The D850 has only made up some 4K ground, on paper,  against the Sony A7S line or Panny GH line.  In the real world, fuggedabout it :)  In video, NOTHING BEATS sensors with fat pixels (in a 4K space), like the Canon Cinema line or Sony A7S.  Panasonic does a nice job turbo-charging those MFT sensors for video.  But use a GH camera for professional stills photography?  Again, don't flame me ;) 

We went on vacation recently and I shot a lot with Sony's FDR X3000 Action-cam.  That is one cool camera!  It even has mic-in so with a rhode videomicro mini-boom you can get what the D850 can do in good light just as well, actually better.  The X3000 has kick-butt image stabilization.  Nikon put out a similar action-cam recently.  That didn't go well for them.  Nikon just doesn't have the institutional video chops to compete head on in video--anywhere.

As from the beginning, video on Nikon is only an emergency feature for photojournalists.  Unless I'm missing something, the D850 offers little above the D810 except a few more pixels.  All that said, I wouldn't shoot Sony professionally for stills.  The D850 is nothing to trifle with on the photography front.

24 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Nikon is becoming more of a weather-sealed professional stills-photography eco-system built on Sony sensors.

Exactly...A DEDICATED PROFESSIONAL PHOTO CAMERA...Rishi Sanyal from DPReview says (saying THIS before publishing the complete review...wow):

But not if you're looking for a stills camera. In which case, there isn't a camera that could beat the D850.

Done. Period. Yeah I said it.

And I don't even shoot Nikon these days...

For sure a stills camera worse to take a closer look at and consider for buying

24 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Nikon is only an emergency feature for photojournalists

Yep...Probably a little bit more, as great for interviews and predictable scenarios. But without focus peaking (in any shooting mode, not only in Full HD) and lacking in body stabilization too, it's not easy to shoot with Nikons for Run&Gun, especially when you want to shoot moving subjects with wide open, fast lenses - mostly pretty challenging for a one man band. But the colours and general IQ are really amazing...Maleability of D500 flat footage too...

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

Exactly...A DEDICATED PROFESSIONAL PHOTO CAMERA...Rishi Sanyal from DPReview says (saying THIS before publishing the complete review...wow):

Is this the quote you're referring to?

"As we've stated: it's largely unusable. It's not an easy problem to solve for Nikon either, given that not only does on-sensor PDAF come at an image cost they probably don't wish to sacrifice, but because most of their lenses have too noisy motors to allow for silent video AF anyway. This is a serious problem for Nikon. But not if you're looking for a stills camera. In which case, there isn't a camera that could beat the D850.  Done. Period. Yeah I said it.  And I don't even shoot Nikon these days..."

It's 2017. I think a camera with unusable live-view AF is easily beaten for a lot of photographers, who use live-view a lot.

I'd also suggest the 1D X Mk II and D5 are still superior professional photography rigs unless you need the extra resolution of the D850, and then you might want to wait to see what the Sony A7R III brings.

As it is, the live-view stills features & live-view AF are pretty pants on the Nikon. It is held back by being a traditional DSLR. Not all stills shooters want to work that way any more.

I think one of their user's replies puts it well -

"Of course there are cameras that could beat the D850 for stills; making that beat-the-living-daylights-out-of-the-D850. 
If users need IBIS, or an EVF, the D850 is already out of the game. I'm a Nikon user & would love a NIkon with those features."

Personally I'd still favour a 5D IV over the D850 because of: full readout 4K, Dual Pixel AF, Canon Log, 422 codec, skin tones, EF mount. 

Yeah MJPEG is inefficient & there is a 1.7x crop. No camera is perfect I guess.

In the end D850 won't be a game changer. Nikon users will upgrade to it.. and Canon/Sony/Panasonic users will stick to their guns..

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Django said:

Yeah MJPEG is inefficient & there is a 1.7x crop. No camera is perfect I guess.

Um, it's not about perfection... It's about paying for a full frame camera and expecting a FULL FRAME image!

And the codec is inexcusable.

"I hope the D850 looks as clean and doesn’t suffer too much from the pixel binning, which can hurt low light performance and increase moire & aliasing."

Please @Andrew Reid, don't confuse "Pixel Binning" with "Line Skipping". They are two different things with totally different results! 

The D90, D3s, D300s, D5100, D7000 where all line skipping cameras, like all the Canon DSLR's in FHD. But the D5200, D5300, D5600, D5600, D7100, D7200, D810, D750, D5, D500, D7500 (I hope I didn't missed any) are all using pixel binning in FHD with minimal moire and aliasing but with detail not as high as an image obtained from full sensor readout with resizing (like on the GH5, A6300, A6500, A9 etc).

By the way,thanks for the video feature summary, the other sites are focusing to much on the still capabilities of the D850.

video IBIS in DSLR would be great but when you want it is exactly when you need AF, and they don't want to add PDAF to their DSLRS (degrades image quality that they always brag about). Nikkor lenses are not video friendly. far from it. Expeed design is too old for modern video features. there are so many connected things that need to be fixed, and its too late. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Eno said:

"I hope the D850 looks as clean and doesn’t suffer too much from the pixel binning, which can hurt low light performance and increase moire & aliasing."

Please @Andrew Reid, don't confuse "Pixel Binning" with "Line Skipping". They are two different things with totally different results! 

The D90, D3s, D300s, D5100, D7000 where all line skipping cameras, like all the Canon DSLR's in FHD. But the D5200, D5300, D5600, D5600, D7100, D7200, D810, D750, D5, D500, D7500 (I hope I didn't missed any) are all using pixel binning in FHD with minimal moire and aliasing but with detail not as high as an image obtained from full sensor readout with resizing (like on the GH5, A6300, A6500, A9 etc).

I know that, I said so in the article - that pixel binning is better than line skipping. The A99 II, which I own, is a pixel binning 4K camera in full frame and I very much like the images I get from it.

Depends on what method of pixel binning they use, as to the quality of the results.

We are a long way past line skipping now, it died long ago.

THANK YOU NIKON for releasing a great Camera at a decent price unlike the Canon 5D joke at joking price. 
Unfortunately there is 0 point for me to buy DSLR when A7RIII will be the same camera but twice lighter, IBIS, better video AF, better video specs. But Thanks to you, Sony will release a superb A7RIII that won't cost 4000$ and therefore the A7SIII will be priced good also. 

However Nikon, if you were to release a Mirrorless version of this D850, with IBIS and Canon like DPAF yet compatible with existing Nikon lens without adaptor. THEN we could talk properly.

9 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

By the way, it should be embarrassing for Canon that the first DSLR with focus peaking is from Nikon known for its irrelevancy in video market. 

Canon should be feeling embarrassed for a lot of things. But, I'm convinced that Canon's MO is they can't feel embarrassed for things they know nothing about, i.e. turn a blind eye and deaf ear to what's going on around them. 

Looks like it is "good enough" to keep someone invested in Nikon glass, shooting stills and video, on-board. Unlike the 5D Mk IV, which seems to be moving in the wrong direction.
Nikon users are also a bit more "trapped" as their lenses don't lend themselves well to adaptation to Sony. 
For someone starting from scratch looking for the best full frame video option, then Sony is probably the way to go.