Possible Lens Bargain For Someone (not me)

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

OK, this may or may not only be relevant to someone in the UK and even then maybe someone in London but here goes....

One of the drawbacks of the internet is that its made nosing about in 2nd hand shops less fun as the staff just search for the item on eBay before they price it so its quite rare to find a real bargain but all the more exciting when you do!

This lens has a bunch of drawbacks but optical performance is NOT one of them.

The first drawback is that its for 43 rather than M43 so you'll need an adapter.

The next one is that its AF performance in video with M43 may not be all that.

The last one is that is a big chunk of glass so stealth and lightweight it isn't.

So, what is it?

Its this, the Olympus 35-100mm constant F2.

599de11f96a31_41tA6iO7nL._SX355_.jpg.0da729cebe1e182af7dbedc0f002625f.jpg

It is just a superb weather sealed 70-200mm equivalent and here are some examples from it

https://www.flickr.com/groups/zd-35-100/pool/page1

It is listed at around £2300 at places that still have one but this one I've found is much cheaper.

Much, much cheaper.

I saw it a few weeks ago when I was in London and meant to post the details of it then but got waylaid and forgot all about it but I was walking past the same place today (CEX) and it is still in the window.

If you can't get there in person, you can buy it off them online.

At £650 its a bit of a steal IMO.

And from my experience at other branches of CEX, if its been on display for a few weeks then you can haggle a bit to get more off so if you are in central London it might be worth a try.

In the interests of fairness though, if you have bought it make sure you mention it here to save someone a wasted journey !

And I shall end this public service announcement with the link !

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLENOLY35100MF2#.WZ3d8xiZNE4

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
18 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Will be in London only in September, probably no chance - craved for this lens in the past, not so much now, but...

Did not know CEX, another good London stores recommendation, beside the more known ones?

CEX deals in all electronics so more geared towards phones,laptops, iPads etc but sometimes they have a bargain photo wise. The rule of thumb usually with them is the higher the price the more chance you have of a bargain as they don't usually have the clientele looking to buy it.

They are in most UK cities and are popping up in other cities in Europe.

Directly opposite that particular CEX store is ApertureUK where you can get some great bargains and you can generally haggle a bit more off. Always worth a browse if you're around there (just off Oxford Street)

On 26/08/2017 at 11:32 PM, John Brawley said:

It's a great lens for sure, but it's not so great for video except in very limited circumstances.  It breathes a lot and isn't parfocal.  

But it's a beast for stills.  I wish Olympus would repirsise the F2 zooms they did in 4/3 for m4/3. (They made a 14-35 F2 as well)

JB

Indeed - f/1.8 or 2 zooms would be very useful for me (most for stills than for video).