LukiLink project turns smartphones into an HDMI monitor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, BTM_Pix said:

I'd be shocked if I'm not older than you to be honest but don't let that stop you patronising.

My father died from Mesothelioma so I'm well versed in asbestos exposure thanks.

With regard to your assertions about this particular device though....

1) Do you own the product?

2) Have you measured its emissions and discovered them as being outside of accepted standards and alerted the relevant authorities ?

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't and are therefore talking from a position of not knowing what you are talking about.

With all due respect.

Sorry to hear about your father... :(

Accepted standards!??!?!? Those are established  by the industry itself.... anyway, there are so many wireless devices, do we really need all of them? Even if there were really those accepted standards, that are always changing overtime by the way,  we have to deal with the sum of all those devices that are producing radiation, and cumulative effects (a tumor may take several years to grow)...One thing is for sure, there is and there will always be conflict in interests...

The rise in tumors cases, and MS, and other neurological diseases are due to environmental pollution.... which affect all of us, not only the people that use wireless devices... I was happy to find finally a way to connect my tablet via a wire HDMI cable, for health reasons... but what is the point if it comes with a router, and one that is really near my sensitive brain...

• Super Members

I edited my comment because I couldn't be arsed arguing the toss with you about a product that you have absolutely zero knowledge of.

I haven't changed my mind about that one iota with your additional comments.

Seriously, I would rather hit myself over the head with my router than debate this with you.

So I'll just step out of it now thanks.

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I edited my comment because I couldn't be arsed arguing the toss with you about a product that you have absolutely zero knowledge of.

I haven't changed my mind about that one iota with your additional comments.

Seriously, I would rather hit myself over the head with my router than debate this with you.

So I'll just step out of it now thanks.

You see you have these great scientists that are really concerned about the public health and you make fun of them, and the other one, the greek guy, thinks that's funny... that I don't understand...

Do you really think the industry cares about your health? LOL ...They care about profit.... 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, flip21 said:

You see you have these great scientists that are really concerned about the public health and you make fun of them, and the other one, the greek guy, thinks that's funny... that I don't understand...

Sigh....

The actual real demonstrable health issues being created by the ubiquity of Wifi have nothing to do with RF.

Obesity and diabetes caused by the sedentary lifestyle that the internet has created, burgeoning mental health issues driven by and stimulated by social media addiction....and on and on.

Those are the real problems that Wifi brings.

Sitting further away from your router isn't going to solve them any time soon.

14 minutes ago, flip21 said:

Do you really think the industry cares about your health? LOL ...They care about profit.... 

I'm going to miss these sort of insights.

Definitely out now.

• 1 month later...

This month supposed to be the shipping month. No news so far, ignoring of all our messages, no questions answered.

They seem to have a working prototype (and not a great one, but there must be something), but nothing else. Among 3-4 people, 100.000 euros isn't a great amount of money to scum professionals all over the world, especially if you are a well know one. I am waiting to hear from them, or else we should start a campaign all over the internet questioning some practices and promises.

There always be a need for an additional monitor in most productions. It could be just great to have such a device on your camera bag at most times, as a backup, a secondary monitor, e.t.c

I own the Focus, and I wouldn't expect such a cheap device to be equivalent (lag?), but my mobile phone is 600nits (a lot more than most cheap monitors in the market) and 5.7", so alright for basic monitoring. Can't beat the Focus though!

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This is a completely different product. The great idea behind Lukilink is that you can turn a device you always have with you as a monitor and keeps everything small/light and cheap (some pledge 79€, or less for it). Something to appeal to both amateurs, that they do not want to spend much and love their mobile phones, to professionals, that want a cheap backup or a secondary, or triple monitor.

The 700$ device you linked is nothing like the above.

My impression was that kickstarter and similar sites were all high-risk medium-reward investments, because you're betting that the people involved can get a product through a complete development and release cycle, which is no small feat.  
IIRC, in his review of the Digital Bolex Philip Bloom mentioned that despite the success of the product and the demand for other variants from customers that the process had been so difficult that the people who made it declined to repeat it.  

My take on it is that the vast majority of people that start a campaign like this have genuine intentions, and they fail because of their inability to solve the hundred squillion issues that are involved, rather than having sinister intentions.  There are lots of companies that release products with significant flaws, and many that work away for months/years on products that never see the light of day (and we might never know even existed), so if they can't do it reliably then a few enthusiasts attempting simply makes success improbable.

It's a real pity because a $1000+ device that we all regularly upgrade every year or three that is exactly the right size and shape would make a brilliant monitor.

I guess there's a chance that it will eventuate, but with each passing month I think the odds reduce. :(

5 hours ago, Grumble said:

The problem hasn't been so much in the delay but in the massive lack of communication, which despite the rather sporadic updates and all the complaints about communication it never seems to improve.

Communication is a pretty typical weakness for the kind of people that are capable of designing a product.  It's also something people avoid if they feel guilty about not keeping to schedule or having to admit there are problems that you haven't managed to overcome yet.

Which is why it's rare to mistake the engineering department for the marketing department, or vice versa.  

There are exceptions of course..  

I remember when I used to work it IT tech support there was a joke.  "What's the first thing you do when the server goes down?"  "Take the phone off the hook.  You can't fix the problem while answering the phone....".  Of course, with social media you don't have to talk to people individually, but it was pretty indicative of the culture.

16 hours ago, Kisaha said:

This is a completely different product. The great idea behind Lukilink is that you can turn a device you always have with you as a monitor and keeps everything small/light and cheap (some pledge 79€, or less for it). Something to appeal to both amateurs, that they do not want to spend much and love their mobile phones, to professionals, that want a cheap backup or a secondary, or triple monitor.

Well you can jump onto Aliexpress and find something similar for probably sub two hundred or so, if cheap is really important. 

33 minutes ago, kye said:

I remember when I used to work it IT tech support there was a joke.  "What's the first thing you do when the server goes down?"  "Take the phone off the hook.  You can't fix the problem while answering the phone....".  Of course, with social media you don't have to talk to people individually, but it was pretty indicative of the culture.

Not just a good joke, but a practical response! Love it. Ha

This moment 25 seconds in is a perfect approach (just keep them busy on the phone with that while you're solving the real problem):

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Well you can jump onto Aliexpress and find something similar for probably sub two hundred or so, if cheap is really important. 

Only US$166:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-Free-Shipping-MPEG-4-AVC-H-264-WIFI-HDMI-Video-Encoder-HDMI-Transmitter-Live-Broadcast/32772367639.html

Spend a teeny bit more (but still sub $200) and get the version with a battery plate on it (or even spend an extra hundred on top of that and get H.265 as well!):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-H-264-H264-HDMI-To-IP-Encoder-IPTV-Live-Streaming-Encoder-Wireless-Video-Transmitter-Wifi/32815213971.html

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Spend a teeny bit more (but still sub $200) and get the version with a battery plate on it 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-H-264-H264-HDMI-To-IP-Encoder-IPTV-Live-Streaming-Encoder-Wireless-Video-Transmitter-Wifi/32815213971.html

That's the one I've got and I've threatened to do a separate post about it. Which I will do when I stop emptying Tokyo lens shops.

It's an arse to set up but works good as gold when you do. There is a version of it with 4G built in but it can tether to your phone for live streaming if not.

One thing I will say about LukiLink is that for Android the UVC(which I suspect it uses) support is not an exact science so not all phones will work.

I've been experimenting with a generic £50 HDMI input without any joy with my devices. I've also got an issue with a wireless link based on an FPV transmitter (which will give you wireless latency free video from HDMI over long distance for less than £100) due to the same problem.

I'm not saying that's why the LukiLink is delayed but it may be a factor as they need to guarantee compatibility. 

13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That's the one I've got and I've threatened to do a separate post about it. Which I will do when I stop emptying Tokyo lens shops.

Stop robbing blind those poor Japanese folks and start a thread about then!

Please. 

Pretty please. 

With a cheery on top.

There is a version of it with 4G built in but it can tether to your phone for live streaming if not.

I've noticed there are also versions on Aliexpress so you can stream it over mobile broadband, but I don't see the point in spending extra for that dedicated feature unless you did it a *LOT* , such as a journalist.  As you said, you could just use your phone instead for live streaming to the internet. 

It's an arse to set up but works good as gold when you do.

What is difficult to do about the set up?

How do you then view the stream on your tablet? With VLC or something else?

OH WOW! That delay seems to be MASSIVE?  As in seconds and seconds worth of delay.

Also looks fairly large (not something all cam ops would want to hang from their camera...) in the person's hands (or just by looking at it in the above video, how it dominates the small a7S below it). 

This guy has much lower latency than the Russian videos! (assuming he is Russian.... wild guesses here! Apologies if he isn't)
The hardware however looks the same in both videos, wouldn't want to pick the type with bad latency though :-o

And I noticed this video is using VLC (as I was asuming would be a good choice), but the Russian guy was not using VLC? Wonder if it is the choice of software here that is making the latency differences rather than the underlying hardware. (which might be the same for both)

This guy reviewed a different HDMI transmitter, which is also rather cheap indeed, and he has a fairly good opinion of it (6 frames of latency is quite tolerable for many of us, or at least if we're not needing to focus pull):