LukiLink project turns smartphones into an HDMI monitor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
40 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

If the lag is manageable, then we have a must buy here (for 1st monitor for amateurs, and second or backup for more serious players).

Should be OK I think.

Off the shelf ones like this one here have quite respectable lag times (certainly at lower res) so hopefully the optimisation that LukiLink have described doing to their version will be even more impressive.

@BTM_Pix

That's perfect. Even the 1080 is acceptable, and 720 is perfect for small phone's screens.

The prototype showed a couple of months ago was really laggy (maybe it was an iPhone thing).

After so many months, I just hope this product exists! It will bring back trust to crowd funding procedures, as well.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The prototype showed a couple of months ago was really laggy (maybe it was an iPhone thing).

After so many months, I just hope this product exists! It will bring back trust to crowd funding procedures, as well.

The same off the shelf one from above has an iOS version as well which to be honest looks even faster so hopefully it was just early days and LukiLink have got that optimisation sorted as well as this sort of performance with all the added focus and waveform aids will be great.

I hope its a big success for them and, yes, crowd funding could do with a win.

Here, in post #10 is the video (3 months ago), the lag makes the whole device unusable  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/220205692/lukilink/posts/2089514

If there is a product (and of course they based their idea on an existing product, no problem with that) working good already, they should have been a little bit more swift!

I just hope it's not just a pretty box!

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Here, in post #10 is the video (3 months ago), the lag makes the whole device unusable  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/220205692/lukilink/posts/2089514

If there is a product (and of course they based their idea on an existing product, no problem with that) working good already, they should have been a little bit more swift!

I just hope it's not just a pretty box!

To be fair, the Febon ones are a lot more expensive than the projected price of the LukiLink and in terms of the app the Febon is just basic display rather than adding the focus and waveform overlay so its probably been a tough nut to crack (certainly based on that proof of concept video).

https://www.febon.net/categories/grabber-card

5 hours ago, MKSN said:

luki.png

This may be the case and the device may turn out to be awesome. I think most reasonable people can accept the time it takes to develop technology like this, especially as a mom and pop venture, but that's no excuse for long periods of silence. Does it take a lot of time to jump online and post a weekly status report? A paragraph or two?

You're sitting on people's hard earned money, they deserve updates just as any investor would and typically demands. 

Had I been working on a project for work and gone silent in communicating status with my director I would probably end up getting fired.

Do what you want with your own money, but you have certain obligations tied with investment. When you have to repeatedly apologize to your backers, you're doing something wrong. 

This is good news for the product and I'm interested to see what it offers, but I'm hoping the creators can pull away with some valuable take aways on better PR practices. Again, I dont think anyone was asking for much. 

• 1 month later...

I like that they're going towards the more open OTG protocol, but it worries me that it's unclear whether the LukiLink and the phone can be powered from a single USB cable--or even if they can be simultaneously powered off an external battery at all.

But yeah, super excited to see the final product!

Some of those comments are pretty harsh. Doesn't seem like this is a good solution now for productions. Better off going with something else, like say CAME-TV Crystal-800, which is what I'd do if I had seven hundred dollars to blow. (would be sooooo useful as a boom op!)

https://www.came-tv.com/collections/wireless-hd-transmitter/products/came-tv-wireless-hd-video-kit

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Some of those comments are pretty harsh. Doesn't seem like this is a good solution now for productions. Better off going with something else, like say CAME-TV Crystal-800, which is what I'd do if I had seven hundred dollars to blow. (would be sooooo useful as a boom op!)

https://www.came-tv.com/collections/wireless-hd-transmitter/products/came-tv-wireless-hd-video-kit

Final price is supposed to be around 99-129euros, it is an option for some things. I see it as a backup option, for whatever reason, maybe put a tablet as a directors monitor, maybe you do not have another monitor, maybe for a second camera monitor, maybe you forget your monitor(!) or its batteries, and so on and so forth. and my mobile phone is 2K 600nits IPS 5.7", so I would like to see how it goes!

I am not that optimistic, it seems they always took the easier decisions, and that means that the performance will be sub par, but I thought it was a good idea to have one in your back, just because, and it wasn't that expensive to push some innovation. 

My main monitor is the Focus, still consider it as the absolute minimum for monitoring purposes,  I could never thought that a 99$(-129$) kickstarter device would be better than this!

@KnightsFan They say that you can't charge the phone simultaneously.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

In a similar if far cheaper vein (£140 shipped) is this.

HTB1fmP6RFXXXXX3XXXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg.69700d974826d9500c19c9f988a96bf4.jpg

I got one last week and its basically a poor man's Terradek Vidiu.

Takes HDMI input and sends it out wirelessly (or wired) on its own network or via your existing router and as it just uses standard protocols you can monitor it on whatever device you want be it phone, tablet, laptop or even TV using whatever app you prefer (VLC or whatever).

Its also able to be used as a source for tablet based live video production apps such as Terradek's Live:AIR so you can use a couple of them to create a wireless 2 camera live production setup.

It can also be used to stream your camera out to YouTube and Facebook etc.

They also do a version with a built in 4G cellular modem so you can do that direct if you are away from a wired or wireless internet connection.

I'll do a proper thread about it at some point when I've got a minute.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-Free-Shipping-MPEG-4-H-264-HD-Wireless-wifi-HDMI-Encoder-for-IPTV-Live-Stream/32776561405.html?spm=2114.10010108.100009.3.865320596hVfrL&traffic_analysisId=recommend_2037_null_null_null&scm=1007.13482.95643.0&pvid=aa3aaa46-9a5e-474b-8e6d-3ebc69e07119&tpp=1

46 minutes ago, stephen said:

LukiLink is dead  on arrival. It's a nice concept but now we have some cheap 5'' IPS monitors at ~ the same price. They have 1080p resolution, are relatively light and have all the controls needed for video. Like 
Feelworld F570 5.7

That is not the point at all, and it's half the price of what you are posting anyway, 50% less,  if people believed that a device such this can replace a proper monitor, then he/she was mistaken and I hope they didn't support the kickstarter campaign, because they are in for a big disappointment.

I quote myself "I see it as a backup option, for whatever reason, maybe put a tablet as a directors monitor, maybe you do not have another monitor, maybe for a second camera monitor, maybe you forget your monitor(!) or its batteries, and so on and so forth, and my mobile phone is 2K 600nits IPS 5.7", so I would like to see how it goes!"

and the next phone, will have definitely a better screen, and I hope I still be able to use it with the Lukilink.

I never saw it as a proper pro field monitor replacement, and I have yet to see any of the Feelworlds as one.

(this Feelworld says 460 nits, not even close to a mobile phone, and probably the real value is less than that, and nits are very important, because the first thing you expect from a monitor, is to be seen).

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

In a similar if far cheaper vein (£140 shipped) is this.

HTB1fmP6RFXXXXX3XXXXq6xXFXXXJ.jpg.69700d974826d9500c19c9f988a96bf4.jpg

I got one last week and its basically a poor man's Terradek Vidiu.

Thanks! Am keen indeed for this. Could probably stick it on the director's monitor to then pass it to me so I get to keep a rough idea of framing (which is all I really need from it, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker even if it had a dozen frames of lag). 

It can also be used to stream your camera out to YouTube and Facebook etc.

Bonus! 

Looking forward to it!

21 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Thanks! Am keen indeed for this. Could probably stick it on the director's monitor to then pass it to me so I get to keep a rough idea of framing (which is all I really need from it, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker even if it had a dozen frames of lag). 

Bonus! 

Looking forward to it!

Bonus?!? Two antenas?!?? more Wireless radiation?!?!! Electromagneric radiation for free... Yupi!!!  Brain tumor, I'm so happy... hurray.!!!!..  not!!!