LukiLink project turns smartphones into an HDMI monitor

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

Curious that you'd start two accounts purely to cast aspersions on a specific project.

I have no connection to this project whatsoever but I can't see the issue even if someone HAD just bought an off the shelf component and wrote optimised code for it and packaged it as a new product. Its the same process as camera manufacturers who don't make their own sensors use so what's the problem?

In point of fact, it is better for the end user if the company behind this project do source the hardware and bundle it with their software instead of offering a software only solution as you're getting a guarantee that the whole solution works as designed. The Achilles heel in this respect won't be the input device but the hardware its running on as there is as much variance in android phones as there are variants. 

As I say, I have zero connection to this project (and I'm pretty neutral about it as a product as well) but can't understand why you'd have such a problem with their approach to such an extent you'd create two profiles on here to cast aspersions on it.

I could have this completely wrong of course and your intentions are purely as a public service to warn everyone here of what you describe in your post as a "borderline scam". If so, its to your credit that you'd join here specifically in response to this project to do that and it'll be good to have you add more posts with either of your accounts to contribute to the community about other stuff.

Interesting and purely coincidental I'm sure though that your view of this specific project being a scam are also echoed so closely on DPReview by a poster formerly known in these parts. He seems to have a real bee in his bonnet about it too. And if there is one person who knows about scams.....

#MyIronyMeterHasExploded 

https://m.dpreview.com/news/1746775569/lukilink-turns-your-smartphone-into-an-external-hdmi-display-for-a-dslr

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If Lukilink is a "borderline scam", then...

• SLR Magic lenses would be a "borderline scam", too, because most of them are adapted third-party industry camera lenses...
  • Digital Bolex would have been a "borderline scam", because the camera used the same basic technology as the Prosilica gx2300 industrial camera, "only" adding a display, new camera housing, recording and color science...
  • Most Leica cameras would be "borderline scams" because their camera electronics is from Panasonic...

5 minutes ago, Evgeny Magata said:

So which company is actually building the LukiLink hardware? Thats the whole point, funny its so hard to get for some people.

With all due respect, but you're living in a dream world. We hardly know of any photo and electronics product who the actual manufacturer is. For example, it is well-known that Olympus, Cosina and Tamron are among the biggest manufacturers of lenses which have all kinds of brands. It recently turned out that the 85mm/1.8 Sony e-mount lens is internally identical to the Zeiss 85mm/1.8 lens - and it could well be that Cosina or Tamron is the actual manufacturer. When Samsung was still in the camera business, their first cameras were created in collaboration with Pentax, and Samsung's lenses were Pentax-branded. Then Samsung switched partners, and the same lenses were suddenly branded "Schneider-Kreuznach". Another example: Studio flash manufacturer Bowens just went out of business because it could no longer compete with Chinese brands like Godox and Yongnuo - but actually, these Chinese companies were also the manufacturers of Bowens and other Western brands. 

So, the manufacturer of the LukiLink hardware will be some company in Shenzhen where practically all consumer electronics of the world (including iPhones) are being produced. It will be a name nobody of us will have heard of, because they'll like only do OEM production for other brands. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Evgeny Magata said:

I personally only have one account here and never have been on dpreview so i have no idea what you are talking about, but if criticism of a purposely vague product presentation on kickstarter gets you all paranoid already, thats funny.

There are two users appeared on here called "Evgeny Magata" and "evgenymagata" both of whom have only posted about this project.

Are you Evgeny Magata Snr or Junior? 

Paranoid? Haha, yes that is funny to be fair. Just to clarify, I'm not paranoid as I don't really give enough of a fuck about this to do more than a Roger Moore slight eyebrow raise.

I probably would be paranoid if there was someone called "btmpix" posting more or less the same content as me though. All on the same thread. At the same time. But that's just me.

I didn't say YOU had been on dpreview so, by your own measure, if me mentioning someone who had gets you all paranoid then that's funny.

Just to be on the safe side I'm putting you and lowercase you on ignore as I really can't be arsed debating something with someone with such an obvious agenda. 

Well put, Andrew : ) Frank Glencairn is a reputable shooter for so many years... Fellow reduser as for instance. He deserves full support and all the trust. I'll surely be one of his backers. I fully recommend his efforts and initiative.

https://vimeo.com/user1323085

@Frank Glencairn (hi Frank!), all sort of tablets based on same OS, as well, correct?

5 hours ago, cantsin said:

\It recently turned out that the 85mm/1.8 Sony e-mount lens is internally identical to the Zeiss 85mm/1.8 lens - and it could well be that Cosina or Tamron is the actual manufacturer.

Huh? Batis is 11 elements 8 groups (identical to Tamron patent), Sony is 9 elements in 8 groups. Rendering is significantly different with busy backgrounds. They're clearly different lenses.

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Huh? Batis is 11 elements 8 groups (identical to Tamron patent), Sony is 9 elements in 8 groups. Rendering is significantly different with busy backgrounds. They're clearly different lenses.

Point taken, mixed up this example - sorry!

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Tim Sewell said:

This is great and everything, but really only in an emergency. Most smartphones don't have removable batteries, so you're left with a choice of some kind of USB powerbank (adding weight/bulk) or running your phone down in the field - where you're most likely to need a cellphone.

Even with a USB powerbank you're still looking at less size, lower cost, & greater functionality than many other options.

Plus for android users, it is very normal to have replaceable batteries.

19 hours ago, cantsin said:

If Lukilink is a "borderline scam", then...

• Most Leica cameras would be "borderline scams" because their camera electronics is from Panasonic...

Well I can agree with that!! Those Leica cameras are a rip off.

We -most- have all these incredible 1080p 5.5" phones for a few years now, it just makes perfect sense to use them as a monitor. They have 4/8/10 core processors 2/3/4GB of RAM, and everything that can consist a perfectly good low cost monitor.

I am just puzzled how no one has made anything similar yet.

Xiaomi/Lenovo and others brands have huge 4100+mAh batteries that last days. They would be able to last a few hours as a monitor with nothing else on, and they cost around 200$ or less.

Another positive is that it could be working with various phones/brands, and future ones too.

That Ikan monitor is great though (there is an even cheaper Chinese original of this, but it seems it doesn't exist any more).

I pledged.

I see the value of the LukiLink as an inexpensive mini gadget that you can always carry with you and pull out of the bag whenever a shooting situation requires external monitoring - i.e. in shoots where you normally work without a field monitor. (For shoots where you rely on a field monitor as your always-on workhorse, I'd rather get an Ikan or SmallHD.)

Hi guys,

Finally, something that will solve all my problems... well, not all, because I still have cameras with great image, that for strange that it seems don't offer a simple and  low tech, and inexpensive 3.5 mic input. Why is it so difficult for a brand to understand that a simple 3.5 mic input, or a 180ºselfie LCD is essential for amateur videographers? I cannot afford to pay someone to shoot my videos, or to sync audio in post. I just don't understand why mirrorless cameras, that have such a better video quality than camcorders, because of their larger sensors, still don't offer the commodities seen on every cheap or old camcorder. Usually if mirrorless cameras offer a fully articulated 180º LCD, they don't offer a 3.5 mic input, and vice-versa, like the Samsung NX500, or the RX100, or the A6300. Why is taking so long for the perfect video camera, in the shape of  a mirrorless camera  to arrive?  I mean, the GH5 is expensive, and its AF is bad for video, (or isn't with the 2.0 firmware update), and the A6500 wich is great for video don't offer a fully articulated screen, and overheats... The new Olympus EM10 Mark III don't offer both, mic input, nor selfie screen, but the brand says, in their commercial, that is perfect to takes selfies?!?!?! Who can understand these brands policy... 

That is not true. There is activity and presence. The worrying part is that the project is all or nothing, and there is a 20.000euros gap and 6 days to go.

My understanding is that is a hybrid project, with already built hardware, and some software being made. It is not out of the question to build some for us backers - there are 70.000euros already there, enough to pay for the developments and a 1000 or 2000 batch (there are 800 backers so far) - and sell the rest with some profit.

There is potential in this idea, and someone doing it right (better form factor of the device, more features, bigger resolutions) can make substantial profit, as there will be thousands of people (
prosumers, semi pros, pros for backup or second monitor) willing to spend 129$ to make a monitor out of they beloved mobile phones (that they can upgrade every year, or 6 months), than pay 300-500euros for a one buy specialized monitor (with extra batteries/bag/accessories). 

• Administrators

I am confident everything will be fine with this. They have had a very good response with over 800 backers and it's well on track to get to 90,000 euros from 70,000.

I've received my review unit already, so it's not vapourware.

Let's see how it performs...

• Administrators

Fitted it for first time to one of my Android devices...

I am using a spare Axon 7. Could use Samsung S8+ as well but that's my main phone and Axon 7 is right up there with OLED screen and great battery life. Whole thing is super small and light... Can't say the same about many much more expensive HDMI-monitors. A real relief not to have to add Canon batteries to the back.

It is nice how incredinly light it is... In total (cable, clamp, LukiLink) it adds a barely noticable weight to the smartphone. Very impressive on that front.

The only thing I'd like to see changed is the cable on the LukiLink. It isn't swappable and has a large legacy USB connector on the end, when my phone is USB-C. That means the cable sticks out quite far from the phone because I have to use an OTG adapter.

My link to download the pre-release copy of the app from Frank expired before I got to it, but will hopefully get that installed tomorrow on my device and start testing.

As you can see from the photos I stuck mine to the back of the smartphone clamp rather than the phone itself, so phone can be de-attached in an instant and used seperately at any moment.

So yeah initial pros and cons...

Pros

• Super light
  • Small physical footprint on the phone
  • Clamp and locking velcro work well
  • HDMI port can exit at any angle, lots of choices with mounting the port (I have it pointing downwards from back of screen)

Cons

• Wish it had a USB C slot instead of a fixed standard USB cable
  • Wish the hotshoe ball socket for connecting to camera was just a small hinge about 1cm high instead. Always hated these ball-socket things and spidery arms.

L1160182.JPG

L1160188.JPG

17 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Cons

• Wish it had a USB C slot instead of a fixed standard USB cable

I'm sure if the response is good enough eventually that will come.  Perhaps in the MK II.  Keep the pressure on.

Nice job staying on top of this and giving it exposure.  I learned about this product on this forum.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:39 PM, Frank Glencairn said:

- if you look at the Kickstarter site - we have a female USB output connector implemented for us, not the fixed cable of the grabber. We made sure that both female connectors withstand the rough handling on set, and don't break as easy as the one of the video grabber (don't ask me how I know).

I believe the fixed cable is only in the preproduction model that Andrew has.