Lens Rehab

liamlumiere

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are hundreds of tutorials online, like this one:

This is as good a time as any to remind forum members that an ounce of prevention...

I've got a dozen or so lenses, and the humidity here in SE Asia is especially favorable for lens fungus (though it's done wonders for my dermatitus!). A collection of lenses can quickly add up to $10,000 or more, so I recommend to anyone living in humid climes to invest a couple hundred dollars in a good dry cabinet. I know some photographers try to cut corners using a dessicant like silica gel, but a dry cabinet requires less maintainance, it keeps your equipment at a constant humidity, and it is also just a tidy way to store your lenses.

@jonpais  I was trying to solve that same problem for storing lens by putting a single lens in a zip lock bag with a SeaLife Moisture Muncher Desiccant. Is there any downside to have this type of product in a bag with an air tight seal with your lens. I try to get as much air out of the bag before sealing it etc...  Thanks!

28 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

@jonpais  I was trying to solve that same problem for storing lens by putting a single lens in a zip lock bag with a SeaLife Moisture Muncher Desiccant. Is there any downside to have this type of product in a bag with an air tight seal with your lens. I try to get as much air out of the bag before sealing it etc...  Thanks!

I'd never heard of these before, they seem to have gotten tons of good reviews over at Amazon, but... lenses are best kept at a constant 35-45 degrees humidity, and unless you're using a humidity sensor, you've got no way of knowing if the levels are safe or not. Also, these types of dessicants must be restored from time to time, and if you've got a large collection of lenses, it can be a hassle. I know many use these types of products, but they're not as reliable as a dry box, and they don't solve the storage problem. One of my dry cabinets is 50 liters, the interior can be illuminated and it uses a negligible amount of electricity. It keeps my lenses at a constant 40 degrees humidity, requires no upkeep, and cost only something like $114.00 USD.

-Tu-chong-am-cao-cap-Nikatei-NC-50S-50-lit-_332382.jpg

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

A drycabinet like @jonpais showed is ideal, but in some countries with insane import taxes (like mine), you have to come with alternative solutions.

First I tried a regular cabinet, "sealed" with rubber gel in the wall seams, adhesive foam on the doors, and a standalone peltier dehumidifier, monitored with a hygrometer inside. Kinda worked - the humidity stayed in the 40%, but the dehumidifier was kind of crap and killed two power supplies (the second have twice the power of the original and was blown too).

Now I tried a simpler solution - lockable plastic boxes, sealed with the same adhesive foam rubber (there are sealed storage containers, with rubber in the covers, used for food storage - but could not find ones big enough here), with digital hygrometers inside, and organza bags with silica gel inside (buy the orange ones - the blue ones contains cobalt, which could be dangerous); they stay in the 35-40% range for almost a month.