The Diopter Thread.

Tito Ferradans

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone had experience with the Polaroid 250D Close Up Lens/achromat?

Just ordered one.  Was $60 for the 77mm version.  Have never really considered Polaroid to be optimal quality, glass/lens-wise, but the reviews were positive.  I found it while looking at the Canon 250D/500D, which this particular achromat compares favorably to.

• richg101 pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

What do you guys think of the SLR Magic +0.33 and +1.33? They are 77mm so would help fight vignetting.

I'm also shopping for Iscorama options, looking anywhere from the Schneider and Tiffen 4.5" +0.5 you can get on B&H and ebay

to the tokina +0.4 for longer lenses.

Hello, 

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron Close-up thread filter for 28-200mm lens, model A9F (it's a +0.5 diopter, I think)? Is it a good find, does it improve image much?

Iinteresting.... looks like it's worth a try if the threads aren't borked to be lens-specific as the listing implies, but is rarely the case. Is it two-element or one-element?

There are lots of 0.5 single-element diopters on eBay. How big is the difference? I'm using a B&W NL0.5 72mm diopter and the image seems fine with it. Not noticing any visible degradation or added CA with such a weak diopter strength. Is the Tokina 0.4 really worth that much extra money?

Going to add a B&W NL1 to the mix because even the NL0.5 doesn't focus that close. Good build quality and strong threads, no idea if the optics are actually good except that it works well for what it is and 0.5 is a useful strength.

Iinteresting.... looks like it's worth a try if the threads aren't borked to be lens-specific as the listing implies, but is rarely the case. Is it two-element or one-element?

There are lots of 0.5 single-element diopters on eBay. How big is the difference? I'm using a B&W NL0.5 72mm diopter and the image seems fine with it. Not noticing any visible degradation or added CA with such a weak diopter strength. Is the Tokina 0.4 really worth that much extra money?

Going to add a B&W NL1 to the mix because even the NL0.5 doesn't focus that close. Good build quality and strong threads, no idea if the optics are actually good except that it works well for what it is and 0.5 is a useful strength.

​It is definitely the thread version, not the bayonet specific to that lens. The description didn't say, but i think it's a single element. What I'd like to know is if it's worth the extra cash more than let's say a normal +1 diopter. Does it make double focusing any easier if you are limited to about 2m of maximum focus distance? 

​It is definitely the thread version, not the bayonet specific to that lens. The description didn't say, but i think it's a single element. What I'd like to know is if it's worth the extra cash more than let's say a normal +1 diopter. Does it make double focusing any easier if you are limited to about 2m of maximum focus distance? 

​If you have an Iscorama 36 (for which a 72mm filter is ideal), why worry about double focusing?

With the Iscorama, both a +0.5 and +1 filter are useful. The +0.5 filter will give you a good focusing range for normal use, but for anything closer than like 3 feet, you'll want a +1 or stronger. Really a 0.5 is necessary unless you don't need to focus closer than 6 feet.

I am not sure how much an achromat matters rather than a single element filter. My 0.5 B&W filter seems fine, and it is single-coated, single-element and dirt cheap.

Hey, guys. Upfront, totally new to diopters.  Weird to say?  Sounds weird.  ANYWAY... because it is rather overwhelming (there are a TON of choices), I don't want to make the wrong choice in my purchase.  I looked through the thread, and I didn't see anything mentioned regarding the anamorphic that I have-- an Optex 1.33.  I love this little thing, warts and all, but close-ups are a problem.  Not disastrously so; I am a little shocked at how sharp this thing can get, but like I said, there are some warts that show up from time to time. I am going to be using several lenses-- 24mm, 35mm, and an 85mm-- with it and I just want to know what to watch out for.  I also would like to know what you guys think would be the best option for the Optex would be.  The rear element is 58mm, the front is about 80mm.  But there are no threads on the front, so mounting might be tricky.  Would I need something larger than 80mm?

Here is the whole thing.  (Note the taking lens is not the lens that will be used.)

20150219_233234.jpg

​If you have an Iscorama 36 (for which a 72mm filter is ideal), why worry about double focusing?

With the Iscorama, both a +0.5 and +1 filter are useful. The +0.5 filter will give you a good focusing range for normal use, but for anything closer than like 3 feet, you'll want a +1 or stronger. Really a 0.5 is necessary unless you don't need to focus closer than 6 feet.

I am not sure how much an achromat matters rather than a single element filter. My 0.5 B&W filter seems fine, and it is single-coated, single-element and dirt cheap.

​Well I don't have an Iscorama. Got a cheap Sankor 16F and it is a pain to handle, image quality so and so. I'd say that the sankor has a minimum focus distance of 5 feet without the diopter.

What do you guys think of the SLR Magic +0.33 and +1.33? They are 77mm so would help fight vignetting.

I'm also shopping for Iscorama options, looking anywhere from the Schneider and Tiffen 4.5" +0.5 you can get on B&H and ebay

to the tokina +0.4 for longer lenses.

highres, all of these are way too expensive. The 4.5" are cool, but it's hard to attach them to anything because they're too big and don't have threads. If you already have a solution for this problem, keep looking for better prices. I got a full set once for $60, used, with a bunch of fog filters and diffusions, with a metal case and all. The key is to look no only for the diopters but also 4.5" filter kits.

I haven't heard from anyone about the quality of the SLR Magic's achromats. We've been asking this question here for quite a while and no one was able to provide comparisons. On paper they look awesome, low power, 77mm threads, achromats, not so expensive...

Hello, 

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron Close-up thread filter for 28-200mm lens, model A9F (it's a +0.5 diopter, I think)? Is it a good find, does it improve image much?

This one usually goes on ebay with the bayo mount. There was a guy buying all of them and converting to 72mm threads. Good thing, makes your life much easier, but he was also overcharging for the "refurbished" filter. If it's anywhere near $50-60, the price isn't so bad, and quality should be ok.​

It's a single element filter, I'm 100% sure of that.​

This is a point which I think it's very important to talk about. We always praise achromats, but the only bad diopters I ever had were the $10 kits from china (+1, +2, +4, +10). Edges were bad, the filters look like a huge bubble, protruding out of the rings to provide the magnification, and this is the clear sign of a bad diopter.

+0.5 isn't a "common" strength, so there are no cheap versions for it. They usually perform okay in terms of fixing your focus range, but won't improve image quality while doing so.

Tokina is overpriced. I'm not able to say HOW MUCH overpriced, but the "rare" and "holy grail" status definitely won't help lowering the price. That's why I want to have faith in SLR Magic's +0.33. There's also a Minolta version of the Tokina, with a different name, you probably can find it somewhere in this thread.

I'll never say "buy an achromat!" ever. Buy if you want it, but you probably CAN get away using a single element in 95% of the cases. If the user is new to anamorphics, there's no point in dropping a load of cash into a filter that he won't understand well for at least a couple of months!

Double focus is always a pain, no matter the distance. The reason people seek +0.5 diopters is to be able to focus between 1 and 2m. Sankors and Kowas don't have that trouble, but image quality isn't the best while doing so. The diopter helps in the matter of keeping lenses close to infinity - check the first post of the thread, there's a decent explanation there involving diopters, maximum focus distance and image quality.​

Good points here. I can tell that the achromat makes a difference with the Iscos, but we're talking about two top quality optics combined.​

Hey, guys. Upfront, totally new to diopters.  Weird to say?  Sounds weird.  ANYWAY... because it is rather overwhelming (there are a TON of choices), I don't want to make the wrong choice in my purchase.  I looked through the thread, and I didn't see anything mentioned regarding the anamorphic that I have-- an Optex 1.33.  I love this little thing, warts and all, but close-ups are a problem.  Not disastrously so; I am a little shocked at how sharp this thing can get, but like I said, there are some warts that show up from time to time. I am going to be using several lenses-- 24mm, 35mm, and an 85mm-- with it and I just want to know what to watch out for.  I also would like to know what you guys think would be the best option for the Optex would be.  The rear element is 58mm, the front is about 80mm.  But there are no threads on the front, so mounting might be tricky.  Would I need something larger than 80mm?

Here is the whole thing.  (Note the taking lens is not the lens that will be used.)

20150219_233234.jpg

Daniel, look at Redstan's website (redstan.com), he usually has a front clamp specially designed for the optex. Not the cheapest thing around, but solves the problem of attaching diopters right away. They have 72mm threads, which is also the most common size for the filters. Another way is to find step rings that fit well around the front of the lens and tape them there so they act like filter threads to which you screw your diopters. Cheap and dirty solution.​

The optex will misbehave with your 85mm probably, because it's too long, and you'll need a diopter for it in this case, unless you wanna close down the aperture a lot. You'll end up losing infinity too. For the 50 and 35, should work quite well. Diopters will help you get into the 0.5-2.5m focus range, in which the Optex (and Century and Panasonic) perform quite poorly, no matter the aperture.

​Well I don't have an Iscorama. Got a cheap Sankor 16F and it is a pain to handle, image quality so and so. I'd say that the sankor has a minimum focus distance of 5 feet without the diopter.

​Double focus is always a pain. No diopter in the world will fix that, but it might help you knowing the ranges. Check the first post, if you haven't done it before! :)

Thanks for the detailed reply. The 0.5 filter was like $20 used and the 1 $25 new, so I'm not going to spring for the Tokina at 10 times the price. The image is good enough for me.

I do wish someone would reverse engineer the Iscorama 36 and re-release it. The SLR Magic seems like the closest thing yet, but dual focus is just.... sloppy. Not that I haven't worked with a dual focus adapter before and had good results. Just amazing how clever the Iscorama is.

​Double focus is always a pain. No diopter in the world will fix that, but it might help you knowing the ranges. Check the first post, if you haven't done it before! :)

​Thanks for the answers, you are fountain of knowledge!

I bought the tamron close up lens (it is threaded) for about 60 euros (kind of steep, I guess). From my initial tests I'd say it improves the image a little bit on my sankor. Looks a little bit sharper, especially wide open.

On a semi-related note (don't know if this has been discussed on this thread before): Has anyone had any experience with the minolta achromatic no. 0 diopter? It's really cheap and I believe it has a +0.94 diopter.

highres, all of these are way too expensive. The 4.5" are cool, but it's hard to attach them to anything because they're too big and don't have threads. If you already have a solution for this problem, keep looking for better prices. I got a full set once for $60, used, with a bunch of fog filters and diffusions, with a metal case and all. The key is to look no only for the diopters but also 4.5" filter kits.

I haven't heard from anyone about the quality of the SLR Magic's achromats. We've been asking this question here for quite a while and no one was able to provide comparisons.

Tokina is overpriced. I'm not able to say HOW MUCH overpriced, but the "rare" and "holy grail" status definitely won't help lowering the price. That's why I want to have faith in SLR Magic's +0.33. There's also a Minolta version of the Tokina, with a different name, you probably can find it somewhere in this thread.

​OK, I just ordered a Tokina 0.4. I have the SLR achromats, so I will do a comparison with them as soon as I get it and my isco 54 :)

Tito, how wide of a taking lens do you think I can mount the isco54 with 77mm diopters? or 72mm for that matter. Will hopefully know in a few days, will keep you posted.

​OK, I just ordered a Tokina 0.4. I have the SLR achromats, so I will do a comparison with them as soon as I get it and my isco 54 :)

Tito, how wide of a taking lens do you think I can mount the isco54 with 77mm diopters? or 72mm for that matter. Will hopefully know in a few days, will keep you posted.

​Great news, dude!

I believe that 50mm will still work, but I'm unable to test it due to the lack of step rings. hahaha. If 50 isn't enough, A Helios 44 will probably do. :)