The Diopter Thread.

Tito Ferradans

15 hours ago, Jk Pilgrim said:

Hey Guys

I was wondering which brand i should lean towards for split diopters. It's for a Bolex 16/32 x1.5. Do achromatic split diopters exist?

I saw the schneider split diopters on ebay and was wondering if anybody had experience with them.

Thanks!

Edit: Also are century and slr magic achromatic filters any good? Thanks

Split diopters are tricky to find in smaller sizes, I noticed. So I cut my own. You can follow my steps here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNNHJowFN54

The schneider ones on eBay are like $300/each, right? I don't think they're worth this much, plus how are you mounting that size of glass in front of a Bolex 16/32? I also never heard of achromatic split fields...

As for century and slr magic achromats, yes, they're pretty great, just a little thick.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, mdominic20 said:

I have a question about the popular (but hard to find) minolta close-up lens for 100-500...

some people say it's strength is 0.33, and others say it's 0.43.  no one seems to agree.

can anyone who owns one weigh in with some clarification?  

I have Tokina +0.4 and Minolta 100-500mm Achromats and can say for sure the Minolta is a tad stronger at +0.43. Quality of both are virtually identical (superb).

I'm currently selling one of my Minolta's on Ebay that has element separation on its edge. It looks ugly as hell from the outside but surprisingly shows very little effect on camera unless directly provoked with a light source on the effected area on a wide angle lens (then it will show a faint glow). If using on a lens with smaller entrance pupil such as a Helios44 - then the effected area can be avoided all together. I've put the starting bid at what I paid for it a few years ago (cheap because the separation issue). Pretty ideal for someone who wants a Tokina quality fractional achromat - but who can live with it's cosmetic appearance. 

Here is a rough test to show the Minolta's fractional added power over the Tokina. Don't worry about edge softness - that is the lens' quirk  (Lomo)...just look at centre sharpness and the fractional distance the camera needed to be nudged forward when Tokina used - to match the power of the Minolta.

minolta.jpg

tokina.jpg

1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

Hey @Hans Punk, but doesn't that mean that the Tokina is stronger?

If you have to bring the camera closer with the Tokina on, then 'infinity' on the Tokina is a lesser distance from the camera. Ergo Tokina is a stronger diopter, no?

Correct!.... Sorry I was half asleep when I posted before. Yes, indeed the Tokina is a tad stronger...probably making the Minolta closer to the +0.33 power others have claimed. To be honest I personally consider them close enough in power for the two to be considered quite equal in terms of power and quality.

• 3 weeks later...

i finally got a hold of a minolta 100-500 and compared directly it to my tokina 0.4.  setup was a gh4/contax zeiss 50mm @ f2.8/iscorama 36.  

tokina focus range: 3.8' to 8.9' (measured to the diopter)

minolta focus range: 4' to 10.5' (measured to the diopter)

field of view (at the same distance): minolta was about 1-2 degrees wider than the tokina. 

sharpness/overall image quality: identical

i was surpised that the tokina was able to focus that far out (seems like mine is closer to .37 than .40).  i was also surprised the minolta was able to stay sharp all the way down to 4'. 

so the minolta gives you another 1.5' of range at the far end, a slightly wider FOV (which is always handy), and you only lose a couple inches on the close end.  all things considered, i think i might be selling my tokina at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have sooooo much difficulties to find 82mm diopters :anguished:
My local camera store can't even find some. And I really don't know where to look.

Would you have great product in mind ? For a +0.5 and a +1 diopters in 82mm ? :grimace:

Hi all,

just got my Rectilux hardcoreDNA, and was wondering what you guys would recommend as diopters. As the Rectilux focusses up to 70cm, diopters don't need to be too strong? like something from 0.4 to 1?

Thread size is 86mm on the rectilux, so choice seems limited. There seem to be some very cheap 20-ish bucks Vivitars on ebay. Also, Heliopan seems to make 86mm ones as well, but they seem exceedingly rare.

Any thoughts? :glasses:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Just getting into Diopters - sorry if these are dumb questions... 

I'm after a +0.5, and after reading everything it seems like:

Question 1) the Tokina AT-X MC closeup  and the Minolta 100-500 +0.5 are the way to go (yes?) - but super expensive! (Here's an example current ebay listing for $500: https://www.ebay.com/itm/tokina-achromatic-diopter-0-4-low-magnification-for-anamorphic-Isco-Kowa-Moller/173158037985?hash=item285105f9e1:g:LH0AAOSwqfZaWZ9x)

What about cheaper options? I can't find the ones that Tito lists in his guide (http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=7282)... 
Question 2) Is this the KENKO he refers to? https://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Close-Up-Lens-77mm-Multi-Coated/dp/B001CNC1RO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1519155544&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=kenko+close-up+lens+77mm+mc+no.1
They don't list whether it's +0.5 on that page - it's super confusing. 

Question 3) Is this a good cheap option for a +0.5? Tamron 72mm Close-up Filter for 28-200/3.8-5.6 Zoom Lens, Product# FL71-400 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023JL1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ADP1I4ZKQNKOW&psc=1

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

1 hour ago, Toby Cork said:

Hi everyone! Just getting into Diopters - sorry if these are dumb questions... 

I'm after a +0.5, and after reading everything it seems like:

Question 1) the Tokina AT-X MC closeup  and the Minolta 100-500 +0.5 are the way to go (yes?) - but super expensive! (Here's an example current ebay listing for $500: https://www.ebay.com/itm/tokina-achromatic-diopter-0-4-low-magnification-for-anamorphic-Isco-Kowa-Moller/173158037985?hash=item285105f9e1:g:LH0AAOSwqfZaWZ9x)

What about cheaper options? I can't find the ones that Tito lists in his guide (http://www.tferradans.com/blog/?p=7282)... 
Question 2) Is this the KENKO he refers to? https://www.amazon.com/Kenko-Close-Up-Lens-77mm-Multi-Coated/dp/B001CNC1RO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1519155544&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=kenko+close-up+lens+77mm+mc+no.1
They don't list whether it's +0.5 on that page - it's super confusing. 

Question 3) Is this a good cheap option for a +0.5? Tamron 72mm Close-up Filter for 28-200/3.8-5.6 Zoom Lens, Product# FL71-400 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023JL1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ADP1I4ZKQNKOW&psc=1

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

If you look a few posts above, you can see my comparison of the Tokina (+0.4) and Minolta (+0.33).  I found the Minolta on KEH for $45 shipped.  The Minolta is much cheaper than the Tokina, yet identical in quality (and possibly more versatile in range). 

I've been looking for a 72mm or 77mm +0.5 (does not need to be achromatic) for a little while, but they seem somewhat rare on ebay.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2018 at 8:44 PM, FelixLöchel said:

Still looking for a +0,5 95mm Diopter. 
felix@imadeafilm.com 

Not going to happen, the best you'll find is one with an 82mm thread - the only 95mm or larger diopters will be +1. There might be some 100mm-ish diopters by Angenieux floating about that could be below +1 strength, but i've never come across any.

I've happily used an 82mm diopter on my Rama54, with no worries. Check out Redstan's site as he really does have some of the best diopters in the range that you want, but they'll be 82mm - http://www.redstan.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=36

20 hours ago, FelixLöchel said:

@bio -how about vignetting with 82mm on the Iscorama54? 

depends on the sensor size really, but i've not really suffered from it using on either S16 or S35.

What do you use & I can check about how wide you can go before any vignetting.

28 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

depends on the sensor size really, but i've not really suffered from it using on either S16 or S35.

What do you use & I can check about how wide you can go before any vignetting.

I barely use Full-Frame. Mostly S35 like Ursa Mini, RED etc. Thanks for your answer, helped a lot!

15 minutes ago, FelixLöchel said:

I barely use Full-Frame. Mostly S35 like Ursa Mini, RED etc. Thanks for your answer, helped a lot!

On S35 the 82mm diopter vignettes with 35mm lens, but you're fine from about 40mm upwards (no problems with a 50mm lens). I mostly shoot S16 now, so no problems at all & don't have to worry about vignetting anymore. These adaptors are better with longer focal length lenses anyway, as you'll get the classic skewed edges with a lot of 35mm lenses - so if you need to get close ups, with a longer focal length, you'll have the added advantage of not getting right in the face of any talent.

Hope that helps - just remember the big Angenieux diopters (think they're 102mm, but again not sure if they ever made them under +1) & the Voigtlander Focar A&B 95mm (but they're +1 & +2 - the +1 is very useful)