The US solar eclipse and footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

This has been my life in the last 2 hours....

"I must sort out getting that time lapse app for the RX100 so I can do the total eclipse later"

Goes to camera

Sets up wifi painfully with on screen keyboard

"Account? Of course you want me to set up a Sony account you personal detail gathering junkies"

Set up account on computer after having to do at least half a dozen of those bastard Captcha things

Put debit card details in....Declined

Text from the bank asking what I'm up to and that they've helpfully blocked the card until I tell them

Sort out the bank, card unblocked

Try again....Declined

Try again....Declined

Bit of lateral thought, go to Amazon and buy instant code for Sony Network

Put code in....done

Buy app 

Test app by putting it on balcony to do some moving clouds

Return to it after 30 minutes and nearly burn my hand off as its pretty much molten lava with a lens attached

Playback results....not bad

Search the NASA interactive map to find out what time I'll need to be setup

Discover that its only going to be visible in America.....

bush_phone.jpg

• Administrators

Is that Bush on the phone ordering a nuclear eclipse? Wondering if I can get my Sony ready for that. By then they might have it built in?!

I did a timelapse of the meteor shower recently with the Leica SL and old version Noctilux. That lens even at F1 is surprisingly sharp and several bits of space debris were successfully detected. A good job it burned up before hitting the lens.

I would do my next timelapse on the Hasselblad but I think the shutter might fall off after 12 shots :)

I just happen to be in an area of 99% totality. But there also happens to be a trifecta of forest fires nearby too. We'll see if the wind is blowing the right way. 

4 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm planning on bringing out my 2x anamorphic with the GH5. I just dont want to fry my sensor. Any idea on how long it's safe to aim at the sun?

It's no different for your camera than any other day, but I wouldn't know what the limit is. 

Just out of curiosity of what benefit is anamorphic for an eclipse?

I just plan on enjoying it.  Happen to live in an area of "totality".  Maybe something on the GH5 for personal memories.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I just happen to be in an area of 99% totality. But there also happens to be a trifecta of forest fires nearby too. We'll see if the wind is blowing the right way.

Are you in Bend??

Tried shooting it in VR timelapse. It would have worked out nicely, had the clouds cooperated.

9 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I'm planning on bringing out my 2x anamorphic with the GH5. I just dont want to fry my sensor. Any idea on how long it's safe to aim at the sun?

It wouldn't be any different than shooting at the sun normally. Which granted probably isn't the best idea for your sensor.