Gear is for art. Art are politics

Ed_David

15 hours ago, silvertonesx24 said:

That's...a circular definition. Also, racist is a relative term, and has been corroded to near-meaninglessness.

A white nationalist is someone who's defining ideology is that the white race (more accurately, Aryan; WN hate plenty of 'white' people) inherently owns their nation and manifests destiny over other races and nations.

This is a clear, objective, and absolutist definition.

Are any definitions ever clear and objective and absolute?  Is anything absolute?  

No, definitions change or vary per person.  I can say someone is "queer" and that means different things to people.

Being racist to me means a person who believes one race is superior to others.  A white nationalist to me is a racist who also is a nationalist, not a globalist, as Bannon proclaims.

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I don't think forums are dying, one of the largest is Reddit and that has never been more popular or mainstream.

Facebook discussions are a whisker away from YouTube comments - the use of real names doesn't seem to change anything. People are attacked and abused on Facebook and Twitter in far greater numbers than all of the camera forums put together!

What the world needs to do is go offline and be productive... Then when they are back online, they can self-express in more productive ways as well, rather than shouting at one-another because of their different opinions. The internet has created a tribal culture, with echo chambers and mobs.

Thanks Ed for starting a lively discussion... If we can all lighten up and see the fun in it or use some humour, it would be a nice way of glossing over our superficial differences and recognising the fact we're all humans with similar interests and if one of us ever got hurt, or needed help in real life, we'd step up.

Thanks.  I do, still think, using real names vs anonymous names keeps people held accountable for what they say, and therefore, less people will go to more extreme comments. They can't hide behind their avatar as easily.

But yes, you are right, there are still some people who can get really heated on there.

But compared to 4chan and twitter, where racism and antisemitism and mysogynany is allowed to thrive?  Language that is extremely painful and inducive towards real-world violence like Pizza Gate and now Charlottesville where a protestor was murdered?  Would people here been able to do all this when their names are known.

Like the neo nazis in charlottesville - now they are being outted, they are starting to cry as they lose their jobs and get kicked out of schools.  And that's the power of responsibility for ones actions.

15 hours ago, User said:

Apologising for things you have no idea about seems quite insincere and in line with the kind of behaviour that has brought you into this mess in the first place. You know that right?

All of our comments are searchable.

And just between us, I never watched that video you made. But if you give me your mailing address, I'd like to send you 30 feet of garden hose and a golf ball. Make a clip with that and I'll watch it ;)

I wish you well.

Okay, well, I think a blanket apology is the start of the process.  And I offered for you to tell me what I did that brought me into this mess.  How can I search for USER or comments when I have over 1000 posts on here and you have 463?  How long will that take, vs me asking you to tell me?

What video did I make?

I don't understand, you speak with UK language "apologising" and "behaviour" and yet you are using American unit of feet.  

5 hours ago, jonpais said:

Countless corporations have been sued by employees for unfair labor practices, including Coca Cola, UPS and the list goes on and on and on. So why single B&H out? Is there an ulterior motive at work here? According to what I've read, if B&H fails to change hiring practices and working conditions, the Office of Federal Compliance Programs will request the cancellation of the store’s contracts with the federal government, amounting to some $46 million in lost revenue. A boycott would be misguided and could only harm the employees: the threat of losing lucrative government contracts should be inducement enough for B&H to change. You may agree or disagree if you like, but in no way would any reasonable person interpret my thoughts or actions as being racist or defending racism, as Ed is so fond of repeating ad nauseum. He is so sure Trump is a white supremacist, just as he was certain that Blackmagic knowingly and intentionally released a faulty camera. And while I personally have never shopped at their brick and mortar store, I refuse to believe that if there was indeed discrimination at B&H, that this reflects on the vast majority of the store's staff, whom I imagine are decent human beings, but only on a select few. Incidentally, Ed's first and subsequent posts all but accuse me of racism, which is a wee tiny bit more obnoxious than anything I've leveled at him. Meanwhile, if Ed suggests boycotting B&H, but continues to purchase thousands of dollars of merchandise from them each year as he does, that's pretty much the height of hypocrisy. I really don't care though, because for all I know, I'm arguing with a sockpuppet.

Jon Pais, I will repeat this again, ad nauseum:

"Whether or not you agree with what a user writes, you should not delete a thread because you disagree with it."

The only reason for the deletion of a thread is if it contains hateful language, and or harassment towards a user including threats of rape (for instance, user offering to give me a 30 ft hose and a golf ball in this thread alone), death threats, and personal attacks.

Upon deletion, it is good form to alert the user why the thread was deleted personally.

That's what a good, mature human being would do.

Your actions to me in handling that thread, and now this one, leave me to make judgement that you are not mature enough to handle the responsibilities of moderating, and I hereby ask Andrew Reid to renounce your title.

I ask others to see this as well.  Whether or not you have been at the receiving end of Jonpais, and hold your own grudges against me, I ask all of you, to review the facts and make a decision.

The amount of harassment I have received in this thread alone would be grounds to having a new moderator step in.  One, who, Andrew has said, allows interesting discussions to happen and doesn't like posts that contain swear words directedly personally towards a user such as another victim @Axel, who also, probably doesn't appreciate this.

@Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Ed_David said:

Are any definitions ever clear and objective and absolute?  Is anything absolute?  

No, definitions change or vary per person.  I can say someone is "queer" and that means different things to people.

Being racist to me means a person who believes one race is superior to others.  A white nationalist to me is a racist who also is a nationalist, not a globalist, as Bannon proclaims.

I completely understand this because I think President Trump is an African American Woman because I choose to use a different definition of the words African and Woman. 

What in the hell are you talking about, Ed? You don't get to choose the definition of words to suit your narrative. I know it's a political tactic to do so, but this isn't a political forum.

You know... I also was trying to stay out of this conversation but after reading this nugget, I had to have my one and only reply...

Words have meaning and power.

People can choose to use words incorrectly, but that would make that person ignorant and subsequently make their opinion moot. Or it's deliberate for a very specific political motive. Neither reason is acceptable.

A major issue in our society is the misuse of words and the miscommunication of intent. If you're unsure of the proper definition of a word, look it up. Your argument may become clearer and your points not so divisive. Or maybe you know exactly what these words mean and this aww shucks routine is the character you play?

Trump is a lot of things, but a white nationalist is not one of them. It's a moronic argument used as a scare tactic to like minded people that don't think for themselves.

There are plenty of valid arguments to be made for President Trump or against President Trump, but that ad hoc attack just keeps the narrative and debate in the whacko realms of the Far Left and Far Right and I would rather hear discussions and points made by the rational center, where most humans reside.

6 hours ago, Ed_David said:

Okay, well, I think a blanket apology is the start of the process.  And I offered for you to tell me what I did that brought me into this mess.  How can I search for USER or comments when I have over 1000 posts on here and you have 463?  How long will that take, vs me asking you to tell me?

What video did I make?

I don't understand, you speak with UK language "apologising" and "behaviour" and yet you are using American unit of feet.  

Feigning ignorance and fishing for my nationality only reduces things further.

Leopards seldom change their spots. No insult to leopards intended.

Good bye Ed David.

On 23.8.2017 at 8:06 PM, Ed_David said:

Why not shoot on a red helium or red weapon to get full frame or a7s ii or any other full frame camera.

Our linguistic understandings differ. 

White priveliege to me is a term of self awareness.

Activism to me can be as simple as signing a petition.

I think maybe you think of activism as work consisting of more than 10 minutes a day of work.

Let me know your thoughts?

Also im not really a fan of the amira. Nor varicam lt though i havent testsed it personally. About to post a test soon between alexa f65 ursa mini and red helium

It is not a privilegue to be left in peace or to to get equal pay. These are rights. The term privilegue has false implications.

To be in lack of rights is the reality to many people. They don´t long for privilegue but for the most elemental rights. That´s how to name this massive permanent

scandal the world is living in. White privilegue is a term of mass media and cultural appropriators.

Non whites are being surpressed because of their skin color. Nothing about just not being privilegued, it´s about being surpressed.

About activism:

There are other words for typing interesting and sometimes relevant texts on the internet: typing interesting and sometimes interesting texts..:),

which can be part of activism. Ain´t activisim just yet. Maybe by heart. But that is hard to estimate from the outside.

I would assume you being a dedicated and warm hearted man. I am 100 percent sure, that you are, Ed.

Did you watch "Harlan County USA" from 1976? Massive documentary. Takes a whole billion dollar army of 24/7 of mass media contributors to overpower

pieces like that in their receptive effect. Too small of an audience for these films thanks to the billion dollar players in media.

Current FF offerings lack what a GH5 has to offer as a camera. Don´t like Reds, because I have never tried any.

You have never tried a Varicam LT and sofore don´t like it? :)

5 hours ago, mercer said:

There are plenty of valid arguments to be made for President Trump or against President Trump, but that ad hoc attack just keeps the narrative and debate in the whacko realms of the Far Left and Far Right and I would rather hear discussions and points made by the rational center, where most humans reside.

I wouldnt call the whacko far lefts being left at all. They are just whacko. The center of what? There is no measurable middleground to quantify when it comes to ideas.

It´s about their very quality. Different qualities have been adressed to attributes such as left and right and center positioned.

It must be about the attributes themselves. Whackos aint left, neither are self acclaimed social justice warriors. Those are just benefitors of buzz.

The cause of social justice is too important for the people who are in lack of it, too relevant to be exploited by buzz.

7 hours ago, mercer said:

I completely understand this because I think President Trump is an African American Woman because I choose to use a different definition of the words African and Woman. 

What in the hell are you talking about, Ed? You don't get to choose the definition of words to suit your narrative. I know it's a political tactic to do so, but this isn't a political forum.

You know... I also was trying to stay out of this conversation but after reading this nugget, I had to have my one and only reply...

Words have meaning and power.

People can choose to use words incorrectly, but that would make that person ignorant and subsequently make their opinion moot. Or it's deliberate for a very specific political motive. Neither reason is acceptable.

A major issue in our society is the misuse of words and the miscommunication of intent. If you're unsure of the proper definition of a word, look it up. Your argument may become clearer and your points not so divisive. Or maybe you know exactly what these words mean and this aww shucks routine is the character you play?

Trump is a lot of things, but a white nationalist is not one of them. It's a moronic argument used as a scare tactic to like minded people that don't think for themselves.

Trump's dad was Klan.

Trump has a long history of racism.

Trump's policies appeal to white nationalists.

White nationalists voted for Trump.

Trump hired a bunch of white nationalists.

Trump's encouraged white nationalist violence since his election campaign.

Trump's a fascist and very dangerous.

T1P5z86.jpg

You people give Trump far too much credit.

He has zero ideology. He has zero history of any ideology. He's a massive buffoon who loves nothing more than to stir the pot. He'll flip positions in a second. He's a Democrat one year, Independent the next, then an evangelical Republican in time for the Iowa caucus. He's that guy who will contradict himself in the very next sentence and deny to your face that he ever did it. Not because he doesn't know that he did, but because he loves watching it piss you off. His 140 character ideology is about as deep as the ideology of Kim Kardashian.

The idea that he is some bleeding heart white nationalist fascist a la Richard Spencer misses the entire bit. And when you have antifa scum hysterically looting and rioting over him, it really makes you wonder who the real fascists are.

19 hours ago, Ed_David said:

Thanks.  I do, still think, using real names vs anonymous names keeps people held accountable for what they say, and therefore, less people will go to more extreme comments. They can't hide behind their avatar as easily.

But yes, you are right, there are still some people who can get really heated on there.

But compared to 4chan and twitter, where racism and antisemitism and mysogynany is allowed to thrive?  Language that is extremely painful and inducive towards real-world violence like Pizza Gate and now Charlottesville where a protestor was murdered?  Would people here been able to do all this when their names are known.

Like the neo nazis in charlottesville - now they are being outted, they are starting to cry as they lose their jobs and get kicked out of schools.  And that's the power of responsibility for ones actions.

What video did I make?

Jon Pais, I will repeat this again, ad nauseum:

"Whether or not you agree with what a user writes, you should not delete a thread because you disagree with it."

The only reason for the deletion of a thread is if it contains hateful language, and or harassment towards a user including threats of rape (for instance, user offering to give me a 30 ft hose and a golf ball in this thread alone), death threats, and personal attacks.

Upon deletion, it is good form to alert the user why the thread was deleted personally.

That's what a good, mature human being would do.

Your actions to me in handling that thread, and now this one, leave me to make judgement that you are not mature enough to handle the responsibilities of moderating, and I hereby ask Andrew Reid to renounce your title.

I ask others to see this as well.  Whether or not you have been at the receiving end of Jonpais, and hold your own grudges against me, I ask all of you, to review the facts and make a decision.

The amount of harassment I have received in this thread alone would be grounds to having a new moderator step in.  One, who, Andrew has said, allows interesting discussions to happen and doesn't like posts that contain swear words directedly personally towards a user such as another victim @Axel, who also, probably doesn't appreciate this.

@Andrew Reid

You can label me, point the finger at me, whatever you like - but I'm not the only one here with the launch codes. Spare us your drama.

27 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL Right @Andrew Reid, give Ed the power and end of story. Well BTW, feel free to elect me so, as well. I am all peace and love, good contributor y'know, go figure, I don't mind to be mod too : ) Not fair for Jon's hard work though :-)

Remember, Emanuel - don't delete any posts unless they contain death threats or golf balls. That's rule #1 in the handbook. ?

There is, I hope, more to being a Mod than having the ability to delete or lock or otherwise censor threads. It might be useful if one of the criteria for being a mod was a demonstrable interest in answering questions posed by interested (and often interesting) beginners and/or more experienced filmmakers - to have made a positive contribution and helped people. Not my place to determine whether Ed fits that. 

Tim

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Remember, Emanuel - don't delete any posts unless they contain death threats or golf balls. That's rule #1 in the handbook. ?

As a former mod I can attest this kind of juvenile behavior was not in the handbook.

22 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I can say someone is "queer" and that means different things to people.

As I see it, a racist is someone who believes in "race" in the first place. If you believe that differences in appearance are in any way significant for whatever quality someone might have, you logically end up with eugenics, Apartheid, concentration camps. Because from a genetic position, all humans share 100% identical genes. Everyone could - and should - reproduce with anyone of the same species. Cats and dogs should also not be arbitrarily kept from fucking with wildly different looking cats or dogs, their breeders are "racists" and more often than not make their victims suffer.

22 hours ago, Ed_David said:

One, who, Andrew has said, allows interesting discussions to happen and doesn't like posts that contain swear words directedly personally towards a user such as another victim @Axel, who also, probably doesn't appreciate this.

???

I wasn't aware of having been insulted. Must be because English isn't my native language. Many of the niceties are lost.