Looking at a NX500. A possible way to enable 4kp50, and looking for 4:2:2, 10 bits?

Waynes

Hi, I came across a NX500 body and am interested in getting better video out of it.

I've spent some time reading about the hacks, and have some ideas.  I realise the hack developers visit here, so maybe they might like to look at this?

It could be that the camera can not process data from the sensor fast enough to do 4k/UHD p50/60.  But sensors can often be windowed (the crop factor) to read an area out faster (among other techniques).  So, I wonder if up to a standard 2.39:1 wide screen cinema ratio can be read out faster, closer to p50 or p48?

My thinking is if p50/60 just pops over a threshold and gets rejected by the camera, a lower resolution window may work.

It would still look normal, with some black area above and beneath the screen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Along those lines some other things occur to me.  That the camera might be setup to process standard video modes better, and or, even divisions of it's maximum resolution.   So, taking the maximum width and height of the sensor and halving them, for example, might be more palatable and result in binning hardware being used, resulting in higher frame rates.  For standard resolutions, variouse resolutions are used in 4k and in UHD (3840x2160), and divisions of them may help, even of 8k/SHD.  Multiplications of 720p and SD modes are also worth trying.

It's possible internal firmware that has been mentioned is only presenting standard options, inorder to protect the camera from being damaged, such as overclocking the sensor.

Now, I'm also wondering if 10 bit or 4:2:2 video is possible, and if the lovely rec2020 color space supported in recordings, or DCI-P3?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/17/2017 at 7:09 AM, Waynes said:

Hi, I came across a NX500 body and am interested in getting better video out of it.

I've spent some time reading about the hacks, and have some ideas.  I realise the hack developers visit here, so maybe they might like to look at this?

It could be that the camera can not process data from the sensor fast enough to do 4k/UHD p50/60.  But sensors can often be windowed (the crop factor) to read an area out faster (among other techniques).  So, I wonder if up to a standard 2.39:1 wide screen cinema ratio can be read out faster, closer to p50 or p48?

My thinking is if p50/60 just pops over a threshold and gets rejected by the camera, a lower resolution window may work.

It would still look normal, with some black area above and beneath the screen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Along those lines some other things occur to me.  That the camera might be setup to process standard video modes better, and or, even divisions of it's maximum resolution.   So, taking the maximum width and height of the sensor and halving them, for example, might be more palatable and result in binning hardware being used, resulting in higher frame rates.  For standard resolutions, variouse resolutions are used in 4k and in UHD (3840x2160), and divisions of them may help, even of 8k/SHD.  Multiplications of 720p and SD modes are also worth trying.

It's possible internal firmware that has been mentioned is only presenting standard options, inorder to protect the camera from being damaged, such as overclocking the sensor.

Now, I'm also wondering if 10 bit or 4:2:2 video is possible, and if the lovely rec2020 color space supported in recordings, or DCI-P3?

Thanks.

I work around devs all day long and for a long time in my career as a UX Designer. Where there is a will there is a way. But brininging a dev to the will part is uniquely challenging to that personality type. 

Many, many devs will say, "No, it can't be done". But in my experience the true translation is all too often, "No, I can't or dont want to do it, but maybe another dev can".

You know the best way to fix that problem? Throw $$ at it and watch how all these "impossible" things suddenly become possible. 

Personally, I think it can be done and the internal processor is pretty powerful to boot. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those features were in the backlog and going to be rolled out in time. And I think that would have been enabled in the HDMI clean out channel because SD cards are just too slow.  

I think the biggest issue will be heat dissipation. The existing hardware structure could be limited and never built to handle extreme overclocking, and if thats the case there's a huge chance that people will be cooking their cameras in no time.   

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 1:34 PM, Matthew Hartman said:

Be careful with this, it's not verified by Samsung. It's still a rumor. 

Exactly. And rumor with 0.1% chance of happening!

(a probability pulled from my ass.... but likely fairly accurate ish!)