The Fuji X-Pro2 IS getting 4K!

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

December is a strange one, don't know why they are so slow! Maybe the other stuff is holding up 4K, like getting the autofocus tracking to finally work properly ;)

But thank you Fuji for giving us this rare gift.

It is the first time in the camera industry that 4K has been added with a firmware update. Such a dramatic leap in quality from just firmware

Just shows they are playing us for idiots most of the time... as the 5D Mk III shows also!

The X-Pro 2 is my favourite fuji camera... So I will be selling my X-T2 and X-T20. This firmware update has saved me a lot of money :)

On 8/28/2017 at 7:22 AM, Andrew Reid said:

However for me it's nice to have on even the most photography focused body... Even if you'd be crazy to pick an M for video over a SL or GH5... It is the convergence of stills and video that is the future for me, more than the segmentation of tools into pro stills cameras and pro video cameras.

I agree on the stills and video convergence, just look at Vincent Laforet's recent post on the RED 8K Weapon, pulling a 36mp RAW photo from that video is incredible! Tradiionalist, can call it whatever they like, machine-gunning photography, whatever, but it's all headed that direction.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

December is a strange one, don't know why they are so slow! Maybe the other stuff is holding up 4K, like getting the autofocus tracking to finally work properly ;)

I know winky-face but the autofocus tracking works great. I photograph dancers on underlit stages with it all the time.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 12:57 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Cool, go for the deep-end!! Can confirm the X-T20 is a beast

4k-x-t20-hair.jpg

Here's a 4K frame... Lovely codec and colour... Super detailed.

I find it funny that you give comments like this... and look at the date.... the GH5 was released months before this post. And, then you get a sour apple type negativity towards the X-H1 when its announced with far more video features than the X-T20. 

Just sayin... is it the bigger body? Price? 

Cause the recording time is like 10 min. (continuous) on this thing (X-T20).

On 9/15/2017 at 3:57 AM, Tim Sewell said:

Some nice-looking X-Pro2 HD footage: 

God I just don't see it. It is dark and muddy looking. I must be the only person on here I guess that doesn't like Fuji output LoL.

On 8/15/2017 at 12:57 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Cool, go for the deep-end!! Can confirm the X-T20 is a beast

4k-x-t20-hair.jpg

Here's a 4K frame... Lovely codec and colour... Super detailed.

Now this frame grab looks great to me?

X-Pro2 4k is decent.  It's a nice bonus for a cam released without it.  Quirky, but useful if you're not too demanding.  Fuji cams are fun, but I don't trust 'em for serious gigs like I would my GH5 or Olympus cameras.

I do use the X-Pro2.  (shot with it tonight, actually) Fuji colors look good out of the box...but you really need to tweak exposure in post.  Pushing and pulling the color a tad helps too. 

That nature video above is underwhelming because of, I think, user error.  The exposure is off --there's a lot of detail in the shadows being ignored there.  Perhaps some of the earnest praise for those images is a good example of folks talking themselves into liking IQ because they're emotionally invested in their own personal Fuji purchase?

I dunno, but I wouldn't hang my opinion on Fuji IQ from that clip.

23 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I agree. Im sounding like a broken record when I say. Download a clip, import into NLE, check the waveform. Loads of info in the shadows ready to be brought back.

There's detail in the highlights too. 

Yeah, Andrew explained it way back when.  Basically using "Fast Color Corrector" you quickly even out the exposure.    Here's another example from an poor-over-exposed shot from some raw b-roll.  It's actually what's loaded in my Premiere at the moment:

1st image is what you see when you bring the clip into the editor.  2nd shot is with "Fast Color Corrector" applied for exposure adjustment.

I'm not saying the Fuji is some sort of wonder-camera; better than the bee's knees, and YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!  ....but it's certainly a decent and fun cam.  It's hard not to love it for stills, that's for sure.

STEPHANIE#Scrapbookdoc.00_01_26_08.Still002.jpg

STEPHANIE#Scrapbookdoc.00_01_26_08.Still003.jpg