BMD Pocket Cinema Camera still worth it in 2017?

Riadnasla

Quick question on my phone while waiting for a gig......

Does anyone here still use the BMPCC? I remember the plethora of lacking features and bugs when it got released, but haven't heard much since then. 

Has it improved? What should I know before picking one up? What does the workflow on a PC look like?

These days I'm filming interviews on cheap DSLRs with good lighting, but looking for a light camera that can do landscapes, stock footage, and is portable enough to bring on family trips and store in my one camera/clothes closet. 

Sorry for the cell phone formatting, thanks for your time!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool! Really enjoyed the blog post too. 

My Sony F3 finally sold for far too little, but luckily that was still double what I needed to buy a used BMPCC with zoom and 6 batteries from ebay, augmenting the purchase with a 128GB Extreme Pro SD card. Now just to receive it sometime this week and start the learning curve. Can't wait to start showing some projects here!

On 8/30/2017 at 2:31 AM, Snowfun said:

I switched from the Pocket and BM 2.5 cinema to 2 Micros. Really happy with the setup (smallHD and BMVA for monitors mounted on smallrig cages).

Olympus 12-100, Panasonic 15, Olympus 9mm (the body cap lens).

But hobby use only!

I was always curious how that 9mm body cap lens would fare on the Micro... how do you like it? I have seen a few videos with it on the Pocket and it seemed better than expected.

19 hours ago, Riadnasla said:

Cool! Really enjoyed the blog post too. 

My Sony F3 finally sold for far too little, but luckily that was still double what I needed to buy a used BMPCC with zoom and 6 batteries from ebay, augmenting the purchase with a 128GB Extreme Pro SD card. Now just to receive it sometime this week and start the learning curve. Can't wait to start showing some projects here!

What zoom did you get? I have such a love/hate relationship with BM cameras. I had the BMMCC with the Voigtlander 25mm and loved the image but hated rigging it. I then bought the Pocket with the 12-35mm and loved the image and the handheld aspect of an OIS zoom but missed the 60p. Then I went off on a tangent with a few other cameras until I ended up with a 5D3. I eventually will be in the market for another camera, something with a little simpler post workflow, so now I am thinking maybe I should get another Micro with the 12-35mm for handheld/monopod 60p ProRes... LOL.

Anyway... good luck with the Pocket. I loved your F3 work, so I look forward to seeing your Pocket films. 

57 minutes ago, mercer said:

I was always curious how that 9mm body cap lens would fare on the Micro... how do you like it? I have seen a few videos with it on the Pocket and it seemed better than expected.

"Better than expected" Yes, absolutely 100%.

Whether it is good enough for your purpose is a slightly different question. I could send examples if I know what sort of example might be useful.

I'm still getting used to it so I guess my efforts are not optimal.

5 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

"Better than expected" Yes, absolutely 100%.

Whether it is good enough for your purpose is a slightly different question. I could send examples if I know what sort of example might be useful.

I'm still getting used to it so I guess my efforts are not optimal.

No purpose really, just curiosity. I am thinking about getting another Micro in a couple months, especially after seeing that the Ursa handgrip works with the Micro's Lanc. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

What zoom did you get? I have such a love/hate relationship with BM cameras. I had the BMMCC with the Voigtlander 25mm and loved the image but hated rigging it. I then bought the Pocket with the 12-35mm and loved the image and the handheld aspect of an OIS zoom but missed the 60p. Then I went off on a tangent with a few other cameras until I ended up with a 5D3. I eventually will be in the market for another camera, something with a little simpler post workflow, so now I am thinking maybe I should get another Micro with the 12-35mm for handheld/monopod 60p ProRes... LOL.

There's a Lumix 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 that comes with the camera, but in the interest of an easy grab and go, I also have a Panasonic Lumix G 14mm f2.5 pancake lens inbound. I presume to be playing around with different lens options in the future, but for now I'll keep it simple. 

While I'm going to start by just learning it in a point-and-shoot form factor, I'm looking forward to being able to build it into 3 different kits: One just barebones/tourist pocket camera. One with a viewfinder and pistol grip or the edelkrone shoulder brace, and lastly a rod system with mattebox and cage, which will be taken out the least imo. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Anyway... good luck with the Pocket. I loved your F3 work, so I look forward to seeing your Pocket films. 

Thanks a bunch! Good to hear someone likes my work! ;p Looking forward to being able to share my learning curve with you all!

On 8/14/2017 at 9:32 AM, Riadnasla said:

Does anyone here still use the BMPCC? I remember the plethora of lacking features and bugs when it got released, but haven't heard much since then. 

Surprised you haven't heard much since, it is a very popular camera!

On 8/14/2017 at 9:32 AM, Riadnasla said:

Has it improved? What should I know before picking one up?

The BMPCC of 2017 is a totally different camera from the one they released! (& even the one they released was very good too! Just now you have a drastically better user interface)

On 8/30/2017 at 6:31 PM, Snowfun said:

I switched from the Pocket and BM 2.5 cinema to 2 Micros. Really happy with the setup (smallHD and BMVA for monitors mounted on smallrig cages).

Yeah, although I own a BMPCC myself, if I was buying today I'd probably go for a Micro rather than a Pocket. 

As a Micro is like a Pocket v2.0!

And I'd never go for a BMCC EF over a BMPCC, and would only prefer a BMCC MFT over a BMPCC is everything is 100% on a tripod.

On 9/3/2017 at 5:12 AM, mercer said:

No purpose really, just curiosity. I am thinking about getting another Micro in a couple months, especially after seeing that the Ursa handgrip works with the Micro's Lanc. 

Ohhh!! I didn't know that. Good to know (although I neither own an URSA or Micro :-P ).

On 9/3/2017 at 4:05 AM, mercer said:

Hmmm... I have that lens. Never thought about using it on the Pocket, as surely the f8 at best would be a pain in the ass?

Am thinking about using my BMPCC with the Panasonic 14mm pancake and the wide angle adapter for it for my vblogging usage. As my cellphone camera is such a total piece of sh*t!
Did my latest vblogs with the BMPCC and that lens pairing:

But yeah, might give the 9mm bodycap a go if I know I'll be filming outdoors with lots of sunlight. 

However of course the biggest issue with the BMPCC for vblogging is the lack of a flip up screen! Wish I could buy a super cheap 3" monitor for vblogging, as all I'd want to use it for is framing so 3" would be big enough and I'd love the compact size.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:16 PM, jonpais said:

Matthew Scott prefers the BMPCC and BMMCC to the Red Scarlet.

See blog post

There are also downloadable files for comparison.

Thanks for that! I would read his blog now and then but has been while.
Was a really good!

Catching up on these ones for instance:

http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/2016/7/14/bmpcc-optical-low-pass-filter-swap-no-more-ir-contamination

http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/2016/2/1/thepocketcameraeffect

Oh and of course this one makes an extra good point:

http://mattscottvisuals.com/blog/2015/9/23/cinesound

• 5 months later...