What are the good medium format deals in 2017?

Andrew Reid

The digital bolex has an iso scheme similar to Arri, BM and Red that shifts the amount of highlight range you have. I do think CCD's (such as F35, Digital Bolex, Leica M9) do have some special magic in their rendering of micro contrast, tone transition, and skin tones.  At low iso and with the white balance nailed, the images are just spectacular with no significant mucking around in post.  Now you may be able to get a CMOS close if you are suitable skilled but with a lot more tweaking needed.

D16.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/13/2017 at 5:02 PM, Andrew Reid said:

The A7R II sensor is 36 x 24mm.

A high-end medium format CCD is 53 x 40mm.

So it's a bit like saying, why not get Micro Four Thirds instead of full frame. Yes there are pros and cons but I am interested in medium format for stills and timelapse, not as a replacement for my Sonys :)

The perspective of an 80mm lens on full frame draws in the background and is more flattering for portraits than a 50mm on full frame.

Also the colour and skintones of a 16bit CCD sensor is far superior to even the latest DSLR CMOS sensors.

The high megapixel count is merely a bonus feature.

To look through that beautiful medium format viewfinder (enormous!) and shoot with a different look to any full frame camera will always be 'a thing' no matter how good the smaller sensors get.

Wow, high five!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who STILL likes the CCD look.

I always wanted a digital back for each of my film bodies, and STILL do, though I find they are STILL priced too high for me, sigh...

Yeah, instant backs are cool too!

I have the Fuji instant back for my 4x5 Sinar f2.

I wish they still made the film, I would use it.  I used instant frequently, it scanned okay too.

Always wanted a giant 8x10 system...

43 minutes ago, Dick Sweeney said:

One day there will be digital backs to fit your old cameras systems that you havent wanted to part with - a bit like NPC who made polaroid backs for many cameras that were not even modular systems

Argghhh yes buggz - the big polaroid is nice - the B+W 665 plus the type 55 that you fixed on site was amazing tonal curves - along with those rebates on the edges - something special ! I can now do a faux version in my filter pack (FFS) !  I never owned a 10x8 but assisted on them many a times and did the polaroids too - 50 quid per sheet back in the day 30 years ago !

• Super Members
16 hours ago, buggz said:

Yeah, instant backs are cool too!

I have the Fuji instant back for my 4x5 Sinar f2.

I wish they still made the film, I would use it.  I used instant frequently, it scanned okay too.

Always wanted a giant 8x10 system...

If we are talking Packfilm the suppliers still have fresh stock for years to come. My local dealer said he had 5000 boxes :)

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Hassle has arrived!

This is now my oldest camera... 2007!!

The images must have blown peoples heads off in 2007.

DSC09764.JPG

It sure did.
I love how Hasselblad waited in the beginning when there was a fierce megapixel war. 2, 4, 7, 8 and Hasse went "F..k it, 22mp".
I mean thats a lot even with todays standards.

• Administrators

I think this is the first proper digital film camera, for stills at least. 2007 was a golden year for the sensors. Panavision Genesis. Sony F35. Kodak medium format CCD in the Hassy.

First impressions are...

Smaller and lighter than expected, really no hassle to use.

The shutter is ridiculously loud.

Biggest viewfinder I've ever used.

I like the modularity and the fact the battery doubles as the grip. There should be an Olympus version of this... A miniature, modular M43 camera.

Easily matches detail of my A99 II 42MP raw stills. Can't say that about many 2007 cameras :)

But the main thing I am enjoying is the perspective of the 80mm... It brings things in nice and close, whilst appearing wide-ish, around 56mm on a full frame camera but with the perspective and depth compression of an 80mm.

The OLED screen on the back is... Interesting. Not up to todays standards obviously but great colour and contrast for the time. Must be a very early OLED for that time.

Works with 64GB UDMA7 compact flash, when I think the norm for the time was 8GB UDMA1... However it has locked up twice... I think I might need to invest in an older CF card!

Thanks for the spot on Park Cameras BTM_Pix!

• Super Members
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Smaller and lighter than expected, really no hassle to use.

The shutter is ridiculously loud.

No excuse not to get that cheap 50-110 now then, you know you want to !

The mirror delay is a good option when you're hand holding to offset any issue with the slap/thump/seismic event of the mirror.

You might want to get familiar with cleaning the sensor by the way as it draws in shite like no other camera I've ever known. Possibly due to the air displacement caused by the shutter ;)