What are the good medium format deals in 2017?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The A7R II sensor is 36 x 24mm.

A high-end medium format CCD is 53 x 40mm.

So it's a bit like saying, why not get Micro Four Thirds instead of full frame. Yes there are pros and cons but I am interested in medium format for stills and timelapse, not as a replacement for my Sonys :)

The perspective of an 80mm lens on full frame draws in the background and is more flattering for portraits than a 50mm on full frame.

Also the colour and skintones of a 16bit CCD sensor is far superior to even the latest DSLR CMOS sensors.

The high megapixel count is merely a bonus feature.

To look through that beautiful medium format viewfinder (enormous!) and shoot with a different look to any full frame camera will always be 'a thing' no matter how good the smaller sensors get.

• Super Members

Park Cameras (unusually) have got a used H3DII-39 for £1499. 

There are plenty of HC80s around at £800 to pair with it.

MPB have got a 50-110 for £850.

£2300 for either combo is a steal in relative terms.

Actually, forget relative terms, its a steal in absolute terms as well.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

That's not bad is it?!

Bought the Park Cameras H3DII-39.

The lenses, not sure what to do... How much is the 50-110mm usually worth?

Haha....I do enjoy a bit of decisiveness!

Its usually worth double but I think that one is a bit beaten up.

On the other hand, MPB are a solid outfit so I'd 

a) Expect the description to be accurate.

b) Them to describe it as sold as seen if it was fucked.

I'd give them a call about the warranty and how much service they think it'd take to get right. Its a good opportunity at that price as the lens is not far off being a variable prime.

• Administrators

I am in the UK at the moment so thought I'd search for things to do :)

I think one of the 80mm F2.8 might be a good option because the camera body is already 2kg and the zoom will take it close to 4kg! The 80mm is tiny however and I do tend to use 50mm equiv. focal lengths a lot.

I had thought about getting the 50mm F3.5, as that pretty much gives you the look of 35mm medium format and 50mm full frame in one lens... just from a crop in Photoshop to get the full frame 50mm look.

The dream lens seems to be 100mm F2.2 but starts at £1450 on eBay.

The lenses have leaf shutters... Warranty says they will be guaranteed for 100,000 shots and should last close to 200,000 if you're lucky!

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am in the UK at the moment so thought I'd search for things to do :)

I think one of the 80mm F2.8 might be a good option because the camera body is already 2kg and the zoom will take it close to 4kg! The 80mm is tiny however and I do tend to use 50mm equiv. focal lengths a lot.

I had thought about getting the 50mm F3.5, as that pretty much gives you the look of 35mm medium format and 50mm full frame in one lens... just from a crop in Photoshop to get the full frame 50mm look.

The dream lens seems to be 100mm F2.2 but starts at £1450 on eBay.

The lenses have leaf shutters... Warranty says they will be guaranteed for 100,000 shots and should last close to 200,000 if you're lucky!

You'll never regret the 80 even if you add a few other lenses later on.

The 50-110 is so enticing because it hits all three of those focal lengths but, yes, it is at the expense of it being a bit of a brick. Although in my working world of lenses its positively lightweight ;)

At 1.4fps I've never felt in any danger of any of my HC lenses not outliving me !

Pentax 645D with manual Adaptor you can use Pentax 67 and 645 manual lenses cheap as chips. It's a 45 MP camera or there about. I own one. MIght sell it. I also have a large set of manual lenses.  ITs a sealed unit so a lot less fuss and shit on the cheap. It's never let me down on a job.  

That should read shit on the chip. 

I wouldn't worry about the shutters in HC lenses, once it fails you can send them to Hasselblad and they will put a new one in, and with a little luck they have used up all the old stock and put in the new model that goes up to 1/2000

Btw, these lenses are cheaper than your canon crap :blush:, how much would a canon 100 2.2 equivalent cost?

• Administrators

Park Cameras say the Hassy should arrive tomorrow and I found an 80mm F2.8 to go with it :)

Should be interesting for some timelapses and photo shoots if it doesn't fall apart due to old age!

I will also compare CCD colour to modern CMOS / Sony and see if there is indeed a big difference.

41 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

DXO rate it to be worse than the 5DmarkV, the D810 and the A7Rii by a considerable margin.

I'm predicting you'll take some actual images with it and decide otherwise....

At pixel level the shadows are horrible, but I found the highlights to be much more forgiving on these old sensors, and when playing around with the tonal range I find that the images look less HDRish. So overall it looks better to my eyes.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Nikkor said:

At pixel level the shadows are horrible, but I found the highlights to be much more forgiving on these old sensors, and when playing around with the tonal range I find that the images look less HDRish. So overall it looks better to my eyes.

I used to compare stuff I did at the time with my D800 and H3Dii-39 and the word that always came to mind was 'smoother'.

Only in terms of the output was it smoother though as it was a clunky fucker to use!

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I used to compare stuff I did at the time with my D800 and H3Dii-39 and the word that always came to mind was 'smoother'.

Only in terms of the output was it smoother though as it was a clunky fucker to use!

Yep, nothing compares to a good DSLR body in terms of usability, not even the 50.000$ new phase one . I wish there were a Nikon D67, 68x54 sensor in a D5 body. 

• Administrators

Pentax 645Z is supposed to be quite DSLR-ish to use.

I don't know why they can't get DSLR performance out of AF on medium format cameras and lenses... it is 2017 after all.

Digital Bolex CCD had to be exposed different to CMOS... In the end the dynamic range was similar to the BMPCC, just differently spread.