GH5 - major lag via HDMI out to ext. recorders?

buggz

So, on another forum, there is talk and agreement that there is major lag of the HDMI output to external recorders.

Supposedly it is worse with cheaper quality recorders.

And, supposedly the GH4 is worse than the GH5.

Anyone experience this here?

I was hoping of getting an Atomos Ninja Inferno one day to use with my GH5.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, buggz said:

So, on another forum, there is talk and agreement that there is major lag of the HDMI output to external recorders.

Supposedly it is worse with cheaper quality recorders.

And, supposedly the GH4 is worse than the GH5.

Anyone experience this here?

I was hoping of getting an Atomos Ninja Inferno one day to use with my GH5.

While I do not use an external recorder with the GH5, I did recently pick up the SmallHD Focus, and I can tell you there is no problem with lag. So perhaps the problem is the external recorder?

50 minutes ago, buggz said:

Wow, how conflicting.   This is good to know, as I found it hard to believe that lag would be acceptable.

Then too, it could possibly be bad cables?

I can't believe that other forum's thread now.

If you are referring to DVXuser, there are only a couple of comments by a few people other than yourself and only the OP mentions which monitor they're using (a Lilliput). I'd expect Erik Naso to know what he's talking about, though. 

1 hour ago, aldolega said:

I can't see how the delay on the GH5 itself could vary depending on the monitor/recorder used. I think it's just that cheap monitors add some additonal delay of their own.

Caleb Pike tests nine monitors with the GH5 for under $200 and does latency tests will all of them. Latency varies from model to model, but they all suffer from it.

And here's a lag test of the GH4 with music that'll make you want to blow your brains out:

So anyhow, according to a bunch of videos I watched, there is a delay with whatever monitor you use with the GH4, and the same problem exists with the GH5. I don't move my camera around a lot while recording, so it's not a big issue for me with my G85.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Caleb Pike tests nine monitors with the GH5 for under $200 and does latency tests will all of them. Latency varies from model to model, but they all suffer from it.

And here's a lag test of the GH4 with music that'll make you want to blow your brains out:

So anyhow, according to a bunch of videos I watched, there is a delay with whatever monitor you use with the GH4, and the same problem exists with the GH5. I don't move my camera around a lot while recording, so it's not a big issue for me with my G85.

Well, perhaps using a "cheap" monitor is the problem. Notice in the nine monitor comparison video that you  posted (11.02), the host says that latancy is a problem with lower end monitors. So again I point out, the GH5 with the SmallHD Focus experience no delay/lag. Keep in mind these monitors need to downscale the 4k signal. I suspect this process is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

27 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well, perhaps using a "cheap" monitor is the problem. Notice in the nine monitor comparison video that you  posted (11.02), the host says that latancy is a problem with lower end monitors. So again I point out, the GH5 with the SmallHD Focus experience no delay/lag. Keep in mind these monitors need to downscale the 4k signal. I suspect this process is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

Even though I shoot with the G85 and BMD Video Assist every single day, not once have I ever looked at the camera LCD while recording, so it wouldn't bother me even if their was a fraction of a second lag. I just glance at it once before recording to make sure I haven't changed the shutter speed accidentally. :) 

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Even though I shoot with the G85 and BMD Video Assist every single day, not once have I ever looked at the camera LCD while recording, so it wouldn't bother me even if their was a fraction of a second lag. I just glance at it once before recording to make sure I haven't changed the shutter speed accidentally. :) 

If the camera is stationary latency is not going to really be an issue, so one can cut corners and purchase a cheaper monitor. However, if you are moving the camera on a gimbal, slider... Etc, or doing some sort of selfie, like a vlog, then the latency can be problematic. In such as use case, you might be wise to cough up the extra bucks and get a good monitor that does not exhibit latency issues.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cameraDave said:

I experience a very noticeable delay with my GH5. I'm not sure how scientific my test is but I can see the delay with my eye when someone is speaking and the audio doesnt match. I have tried different cables, different record settings, 1080p etc with no noticeable difference.

Your method is capturing the lag pretty well. 

Is there a ~140msec lag on the camera LCD as well? That agrees with the GH4 delay in one of the video posts up in the thread, but it is not just an HDMI lag, is a general lag in display. 

I am unable to test if having the Gh5 in 4k HDMI output reduces the lag since I don't have a monitor that will accept 4k input. Anyone try this out? I know Caleb did with the cheap monitors however I am interested in seeing if there is in fact a device that has near zero lag such as a teradek or if the GH5 has a high latency in general.

15 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Your method is capturing the lag pretty well. 

Is there a ~140msec lag on the camera LCD as well? That agrees with the GH4 delay in one of the video posts up in the thread, but it is not just an HDMI lag, is a general lag in display. 

Yes with the test I did I consistently saw ~120-160msec lag.

• 1 year later...

I am in a marked for SmallHD focus. Currently I use Atomos Ninja, but I really need something smaller.

Also, I’ve read some posts about the issue with the delay which put me off, but now i am reassured it should be ok.

One last thing that concerns me is that it doesn’t support 4k60p.

Will I be able to record 4k60p internally and display it on SmallHD Focus at the same time or the HDMI out will be the same as what I record internally to the SD card, 4k60p, and I wouldn’t be able to monitor in such mode?

• 7 months later...

I can confirm that the latency issue is with the external HDMI device rather than the GH5 itself. I have two EVFs. An Alphatron that shows enough lag to make it problematic for precise camera moves and focus pulls and a Kinotehnik that does have some lag but it is noticeably less.

• 11 months later...

To be honest i find it very strange most people here agree it's on the monitor/recorder side.

I do a lot live projection with screens and beamers. Pre-made footage has practically 0 latency while my G85's have at lowest around 200ms latency.

resolution or output format on the camera side don't change this, other hardware on the output side don't change this.

Even at 720p30 it's always there. It's a shame.

Honestly if you can't handle a little lag when using an external monitor you probably shouldn't be using anything with an HDMI out because there will always be a little lag, no matter the recorder / monitor. Either learn to live with it or use a camera with SDI out. 

I film a lot of action stuff, so I only use an external monitor for interviews / corporate / commercial work to nail focus and see things on a larger screen. I'd never use a monitor for my wrestling or other sports work.