Canon C200 or 1DX mkII for 4K 60fps

Dave Maze

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Dave, you know I just wrote a lengthy reply going over the pros and cons of both cameras, but then I realized you're probably more aware of them than I am, so I decided to watch some of your videos again instead.

And to be honest, I was floored by your earlier work, especially Picnic and Porcelainia. You did such an excellent job with that documentary, and to think it was made on a 7D with CineStyle. Really remarkable.

I actually have to thank you because your Picnic video helped to lead me down the ML Raw path... first with the 50D and now with a 5D3. 

Now I understand that your work requires a level of tech to sell yourself. So in today's age, it seems 4K is probably a necessity but I must say I would love to see some of your 80D work. I think I am one of the few people that believe the 80D has some untapped mojo and in a lot of instances more than enough for most online work.

With that being said, the 1DXii probably makes the most sense for your style. But I would think a rental of both cameras may be in order to make a final decision.

17 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I need to work in resolve. I hear MJPEG runs well. I usually just immediately convert all my footage to 4K ProRes LT because my main work machine is the base model 13" MBP 2016. 

I do 5% photo and 95% video with my 1DC. I would miss having unlimited recording and the super 35 crop mode with the 1DX II but I've been shooting a lot of 60p recently and have been switching between my 1DC for real time and my 80D for 60fps using EOSHD Canon Log. I've been moderately impressed with the image quality on the 80D but every time I pick up the camera to do 60p... I think to myself....1DX II.... I'd only need one camera.....

Great point. I always justify it by saying I need stills but I never use it for stills. I don't even like taking stills. I'm thinking of just keeping my 80D and getting the C200B (I have a zacuto gratical and I want a smaller C200 for gimbal work)

I believe the 13'' MBP is dual core and I'm pretty sure that is not able to handle 4k 60p MJPEG in real-time in Resolve you need a quad core i7 notebook and good GPU...  For 4k 60p RAW
Light probably you need a 6 core desktop machine...

If you use the 1DC with the EOSHD Log you will not see the difference with the 1DX II so you will gain DPAF, 4k 60p, 1080p 120fps, better rolling shutter and lose S35 and unlimited recording. So you know what you will get. For the C200 renting would probably be the best.

For the C200B unfortunately you cannot retrofit the viewfinder so if you want to resell it in the future it may be harder to do... Here the C200 on a Ronin M: 

Hopefully they will sell a longer LCD-Camera cable because like this is not good

On 8/13/2017 at 10:57 AM, mercer said:

Hey Dave, you know I just wrote a lengthy reply going over the pros and cons of both cameras, but then I realized you're probably more aware of them than I am, so I decided to watch some of your videos again instead.

And to be honest, I was floored by your earlier work, especially Picnic and Porcelainia. You did such an excellent job with that documentary, and to think it was made on a 7D with CineStyle. Really remarkable.

I actually have to thank you because your Picnic video helped to lead me down the ML Raw path... first with the 50D and now with a 5D3. 

Now I understand that your work requires a level of tech to sell yourself. So in today's age, it seems 4K is probably a necessity but I must say I would love to see some of your 80D work. I think I am one of the few people that believe the 80D has some untapped mojo and in a lot of instances more than enough for most online work.

With that being said, the 1DXii probably makes the most sense for your style. But I would think a rental of both cameras may be in order to make a final decision.

Thank you so much for those kind words. Really means a lot! I'm happy to have helped you! Isn't the internet amazing? Haha 

I believe you have read me well. A 1DX II really would suit me well since that form factor is what I prefer. I'm wanting to rent them both soon! May be doing some tests with the C200 in a few weeks 

5 hours ago, independent said:

Anybody know how the c200's low light compares with the 1dxii? My 1dx ii seemed pretty clean at hi isos with organic noise pattern, all at 8 bit 422 mjpeg

Take a look at Philip Blooms test and also the newsshooter one. You'll need to watch an official 1DX II vs C200 video before you'll know for sure tho 

• 5 weeks later...

Been shooting all day today with the C200 and I love it!!! The ergonomics of it are fantastic handheld and with the SmallHD Focus monitor you can vlog with it! :)

nice small files in 4k 60fps

6E5B9608-9E34-460E-AC37-372A8DC7B19E.jpg

IMG_4433.JPG

E4C43F2E-1AD8-481A-AC87-AE8D1376D97D.jpg

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

Also, I'm in love with the manual focus aid! Uses dual pixel af to confirm your focus. When it goes green, you're in.

IMG_4443.JPG

This camera stripped down like this feels about as light as my 1DC. Maybe lighter once you rig it up with evf and cage and stuff. 

Is the C200 worth $7500? Nope. 

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Been shooting all day today with the C200 and I love it!!! The ergonomics of it are fantastic handheld and with the SmallHD Focus monitor you can vlog with it! :)

nice small files in 4k 60fps

6E5B9608-9E34-460E-AC37-372A8DC7B19E.jpg

IMG_4433.JPG

E4C43F2E-1AD8-481A-AC87-AE8D1376D97D.jpg

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

Also, I'm in love with the manual focus aid! Uses dual pixel af to confirm your focus. When it goes green, you're in.

IMG_4443.JPG

This camera stripped down like this feels about as light as my 1DC. Maybe lighter once you rig it up with evf and cage and stuff. 

Is the C200 worth $7500? Nope. 

So if it's such a great camera why is it not worth the asking price?

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

So if it's such a great camera why is it not worth the asking price?

For the stuff I do, there isn't a ton of return on an investment that high. A bride and groom don't give a crap about the resolution or whatever. YouTube content doesn't need to be perfect either. It's a luxury camera for sure for what I do. I think a C100 mk3 would suit my price range and needs better. Or a 90D with 4k .MP4 or something. With the release of the XF400 I'm hopeful that the same chip in that will carry on to C100 mk3 and potentially a 90D or something. Gonna hold out. In the mean time... I'll continue to rent the C200

36 minutes ago, mercer said:

If I were Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji and Olympus, I would join up to destroy Panasonic for disrupting the entire prosumer market with 10bit video.

Now every other videographer, no matter their discipline or experience, believes they're getting ripped off if they don't get 10bit, even if they don't really need it. 

Like now the Video AF have to be good because people can't focus themselves anymore all of sudden. 

I'd say we are getting spoiled lol

17 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Like now the Video AF have to be good because people can't focus themselves anymore all of sudden. 

I'd say we are getting spoiled lol

What's interesting about this is that the people who would benefit the most from DPAF or PDAF are still choosing the 10bit over the 8bit with the better AF.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Hernán Jimenez Calderón said:

Hey Dave, I just watched some of your videos on Vimeo, congrats for the amazing work!! After you tried both cameras how did the video quality compare between the c200 and 1dx? which one do you like the most?

Thanks man. I think for my style of shooting the 1DX II suits my needs best. I’m considering selling my 1DC and getting the 1DX II with the money from that. I’ll be sad, but it’ll be a nice upgrade I think for me. Especially as a “YouTuber”. I need stills and I need video. I want the flexibility of having 4k and having a higher bit rate. I don’t want or need Log because for youtube I shoot everything baked in to save time. I also shoot handheld often so having minimal Rolling shutter is great. 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Thanks man. I think for my style of shooting the 1DX II suits my needs best. I’m considering selling my 1DC and getting the 1DX II with the money from that. I’ll be sad, but it’ll be a nice upgrade I think for me. Especially as a “YouTuber”. I need stills and I need video. I want the flexibility of having 4k and having a higher bit rate. I don’t want or need Log because for youtube I shoot everything baked in to save time. I also shoot handheld often so having minimal Rolling shutter is great. 

Did you shoot and process any Raw from the C200? I’m thinking about renting one in the summer for a short film.