Leaving Canon........GH3?

Tone13

Hi all,

I mainly shoot corporates and TVC's and invested in the 7D when it first came out and have been happy enough with it. I knew it's shortcomings (for video) when I bought it but now things have changed and I need a sharper camera that does 50/60p. I know that there will soon be a 70D or 7D II but given Canon's recent form I don't think they will be that great.

Enter the GH3. I know the BM Pocket Cam is being released soon but it lacks 60p and I need that more than the RAW, 13 stops and ProRes, plus I like shooting stills with the same camera. The GH3 seems like a great camera and with the Metabones Speedbooster for M43 being released some time this year, I think the M43 mount has great appeal in lens choice.

For the 7D I have the Canon 17-55 2.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8 and some other lenses and accesorries. The 17-55 and 11-16 are fantastic lenses but, should I sell them or keep them in the hope I can use them on the GH3 with a Speedbooster to get the APS-C look plus extra stop?

Any other cameras I should consider for around the GH3 price range?

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

There's nothing better in the price range. I'd keep the Canon lenses as they will be great on the Metabones Speed Booster. However it is delayed and there's not a confirmed release date for it yet unfortunately.

In the mean time you can use the $200 Olympus 12-50mm until you're ready to get the Metabones or invest in good lenses. If you need low light performance, a cheap 35mm F2.0 or 50mm F1.4 from eBay will work for you whilst you wait to use your Canon glass again on the GH3.

The 17-55 won't work with a speed booster anyway since it's not an EF lens (it's EF-S) not sure what type the Tokina is but even so the m4/3 Speed Booster has been pushed back to the second half of 2013 and that's not even for the EF version.. So even if you did keep the Tokina you could possibly be waiting till next year to even be able to use it (unless you buy a reg adapter but then you lose the wide end).

I don't know what the Tokina sells for but I have an idea of what the 17-55 is worth new (don't know resale value) but generally they don't drop in price too much as long as it's in good condition.. You could sell the 17-55 and pick something like the 12-35 f/2.8 OIS from Panasonic for I think about $1200 which means you might only have to add a few hundred on-top of what you get for the 17-55.. Or you could look into other lenses be them Panasonic/Olympus or older lenses that will adapt now with a regular adapter and a Speed Booster when it's available (Like Nikkor AI-S).

From the Metabones website.

We apologize but the m4/3 schedule is slipping. Manual focus lenses such as Nikon, Leica R, Contax C/Y, Contarex, ALPA and Rollei will be supported in the second half of 2013.

Canon EF lens (but not EF-S) support is planned in the future, but we do not have an estimated date yet.

I've been using the GH3 for ENG work for the last month,having a lot of fun with the set up, still keeping the Canon 5D Mark III for low light situations. I have the 12-35mm plus the 35-100mm great combo. Using the JuicedLink RM222 with the Audio-Technica AT875 with great results.
Here's a few links

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/?freewheel=90850&sitesection=dallasnews&VID=24741956

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/?freewheel=90850&sitesection=dallasnews&VID=24745529

• Administrators

The 17-55 won't work with a speed booster anyway since it's not an EF lens (it's EF-S) 

Canon EF lens (but not EF-S) support is planned in the future, but we do not have an estimated date yet.

This is all quite disappointing.

EF-S and APS-C lenses were a prime selling point of the Micro Four Thirds version of the Speed Booster.

When it was announced these were supported, no? What's changed?