Anybody using Fujifilm cameras for pro video work?

Tim Sewell

19 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

In the light of today's news I'm wondering if the ideal combination might be one X-T2 and 1 X-Pro2.

A few things to consider if you're planning on purchasing the X-Pro2: the X-T2 has a more pronounced grip than the XPro2, and even then, many filmmakers will insist that the vertical power booster is almost a necessity for better handling, not to mention that you'll need the VPB to monitor audio, while the X-Pro2 has no battery pack option; the microphone input on the X-T2 is a standard 3.5mm jack, while the X-Pro2 is 2.5mm, requiring an adapter; the X-T2 can be charged through its USB 3 port while the X-Pro2 cannot; the EVF on the X-T2 has higher magnification (0.77x vs. 0.59x); the X-Pro2 has a higher resolution LCD (1.62 million dots vs. 1.02 million dots), but this is only part of the story - the LCD on the X-Pro2 does not articulate (though to be honest, I've never used the articulating screen because I think it's useless for video, though others might disagree); the Q button on the X-Pro2 is extremely easy to depress inadvertently, just like the Lumix GH5; and the X-T2 has two more function buttons than the X-Pro2. If I absolutely had to get a second camera to pair with the X-T2, it'd be the X-T20 for sure - because I'd be buying it because it is seductive as all hell; it's small so it could easily be flown on a gimbal, no problem (not that the X-T2 can't be), it's got no extra crop in 4K (a pretty significant bonus IMO) and has a touch screen to boot. Oh, and it's got the same sensor as the above two cameras but won't bankrupt you. 

Edit: Fewer than ten of our regular forum contributors have posted comments in this thread. If the question had been regarding the GH5, the number of responses would have been infinitely greater - for a reason.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah - I gave up the X-Pro2 idea almost as soon as I had it. I've found a seller who has multiple new X-T2s at GBP1099 body only. They're grey market - obvs - but the seller has a 99.8% rep on ebay over thousands of sales and someone on a Fuji X forum, who bought some, reported that he had spoken pre-purchase to Fuji UK who confirmed *in principle* that they'd honour the warranties. When the cameras arrived it turned out they are US stock.

So in my budget I should be able to go for 2 x XT-2s with grips for both. I considered the X-T20 but as my main usage initially is going to be for stills I'm more attracted to the former - also the video comparison posted by @BTM_Pix clearly shows mushiness and artefacts on the X-T20's 4K output that I wasn't keen on.

@Tim Sewell I'm getting confused here, but that's nothing new. :) I thought you started this thread to ask forum members about their experiences using Fuji cameras for professional video work. I'll have to re-read your post. :( If I were purchasing a Fuji primarily for stills, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the X-T20 or X-Pro2... help me out here..

Tim, you're going to hate me for saying this, if you don't already, but even after mentioning all the drawbacks of the camera, you still decided to go with the Fuji. Did you already make your mind up before posting?

Sorry to confuse. As per my original post, I'm intending/expecting initially to focus on getting stills work as that is where I have a portfolio (from when I did it before my children arrived) and the experience to (I hope) generate commissions. That's why I need to swap my C100mk2 for 2 stills/video bodies. I hope however (also per my initial post) to gradually add video work as I gain clients who are happy with what I've done for them (this actually happened to me in the days of Hi8, where a number of wedding clients ended up asking me to do video as well as, or instead of, stills - not that I'll be touching any weddings with a bargepole this time around!). Since I love the Fuji colour science and handling for stills work the purpose of my post was to find out if any members could confirm that I would be able to fulfil such requests with the Fuji bodies.

These past 8 months I've used the XT2 for pro video use more then any other camera in my arsenal ( A7S2, C100, 5D3 ). In fact I have sold ALL my other cameras and currently only use the XT2.

The booster grip is of course essential. With a cheap Nikon adapter I'm using all my Nikon FF glass again and am actually getting better results in my opinion then with Fuji glass (albeit manual focus control).

Now I am still in the market for a second cam, which may very well be the D850 as I'm missing the full frame look..

@Tim Sewell Good choices, I'm sure you'll really enjoy the Fujis. I'm a stills photographer who does a bit of video on the side and my Xpro 2 is perfectly fine for the jobs I do - vox pops, interviews, theatrical trailers.

i think in choosing a Fuji body the key is to try them out and see how you like the body shape and ergonomics. The T and Pro lines are totally different and I have a different reaction to both.

I banged on at length about this here: 

• Super Members

Ive started using an X-T20 for work today. Took some stills for webb publishing.
But starting next week I hope to shoot quite a bit of video as well. It will be 100% run-n-gun with a travel tripod (mostly as a braise for handheld).
I can report back how I like the experience.

My thoughts going in is that I prefer the X-Pro2 for both video and stills over the X-T2 and X-T20.
And I don't like the size of the X-T20.

But I love the sensor and Im since long ago familiar with its output so I can shoot with full confidence and no need to chimp.