Nikon Cameras for Video

Basma Ahmed

Hello EOSHD community. First time contributor. I was recommended to ask for advice here by a trusty friend

I need advice/information on the current state of Nikon S35 cameras in terms of video quality (D3,5,7x00 lines) 

Like most of the world I was introduced to Nikon video with Andrew's D5200 review, where he put it vs the 5D3 and gave us this gem that was at the time one of the first large chip HD cameras that fixed aliasing and moire issues after the 5D3 (the GH3 then had "sharper" image but still aliased) 

I bought that camera and still use it as my main shooter, and actually built quite a good rig around it. 

Now the problem is the D5200 has horrible banding issues in the shadows and at higher ISOs, which is the only area the D5200 was a downgrade vs the t3i I came from. I shot on the D5300 and Nikon gladly fixed that issue and still maintained all great sampling of the older Toshiba Chip in the D5200. I also briefly shot the D3300 and it's identical to the D5300 image-wise. 

Now I want to upgrade just due to the banding issue and high ISO performance. 

In my local community the only two available models I can afford are the D3300/3400 and D5300. 

They all fix my issues but I heard Nikon Flat picture profile is one of the best LOG implementations there is, being just a light LOG curve to cram 12 stops of DR and no extremes) 

So the D3400 does have the new Flat video profile, but the slightly more expensive D5300 doesn't. 

I haven't really kept track of Nikon image quality over these models so I need advice whether the new Flat profile is a strong improvement that deserves dumping the tilty screen of the D5300. 

I LOVE Nikon images. I am not switching to any other system with a smaller chip. The video just looks lovely SOOC.

I have downloaded some Flat MOV. Files off the D750. The image is identical to the D5300 in my NLE in terms of detail and colour (all great) but flat and makes grading a but more enjoyable. Still can't decide. I want a Nikon upgrade so would you go for a D3400 with Flat or the D5300 with the tilty LCD, mic input, better built? 

Has anyone used Nikon Flat or can give some insight that would help? 

I currently have a caged D5200, a Rode shotgun feeding into a Zoom H1 (both on top side by side with the top handle in between) on a small Manffrotto fluid head, 50mm f/1.4 Ai-s, 50mm f/1.8 D, 35mm f/1.8 G, 18-105mm (for IS and 18mm f/3.5), 55-300mm VR, small Chinese shoulder rig and LCD EVF. 

I like to keep thing small (I am a female), very cheap, yet deliver highest quality video possible for my own work and ocassional pro client work (weddings and music videos, both really admire shallow DOF and 60p) 

Thanks EOSHD. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Flat" is not a real log curve, but just a picture profile within the existing sRGB/Rec709 color space. Since Nikon cameras record, like most DSLRs and mirrorless cameras, only 8bit 4:2:0 video, using any kind of log or flat profile with color correction in post will result in loss of color resolution/a drop of factual color resolution below 8bit.

Especially with a Nikon camera, which delivers great color out-of-the-box, the best thing you can do is shoot exactly the color you want to have in your final video and avoid color correction in post. Resort to flat profiles only when you shoot scenes with high contrast (to avoid highlight clipping and/or drowned shadows - but use Nikon's "D-light" feature first, with a normal color profile).

On 8/9/2017 at 8:59 PM, Basma Ahmed said:

In my local community the only two available models I can afford are the D3300/3400 and D5300. 

If those are all you can afford, then I recommend sticking with your D5200. 

Keep saving up! Or spend it on some other area of film gear. 

As it is best (as a rough rule of thumb) to at least skip one generation ahead, when upgrading. So going D5200 to D5300 doesn't make much sense. 

It makes more sense to instead to upgrade to D500 or D7500 (or maybe a D5700 when it comes out?? If it gains 4K too), however you've said they're outside your price range. 

• Administrators

I have tried the D500, ended up giving it back to the shop, but the image in 4K is definitely good. Superb colour science and very good flat profile with clean codec.

It is like a 2x crop 1D C.

The problem is it is so expensive, you're better off just getting the GH5.

The DSLR ergonomics of the Nikon get in the way of video a bit... No EVF, flippy mirror, Nikon mount.

Although the feel of the body and the screen are very nice indeed.

Your upgrade path from D5200 is quite simple... D750 or D5500. There's not much point going for D5300, it's too similar, although it does have cleaner shadows with less banding. The D5500 is a nice choice with the flat profile but again not too different. Full frame makes a big difference but you'd need good lenses so it gets expensive.

I think you have almost topped out on what Nikon has to offer and you should consider the Samsung NX1. Same mojo as the Nikons in terms of colour, and superb ergonomics. Are you using 60p for slow-mo? NX1 has 120p.

Hi everybody, I'm new here. I just had a question. How does the D5500 compare to the D5600?

I'm currently using a 800D/T7i. The picture style I use is the VisionColor. I can get great "images" out of it. The weakest point is that the noise in darker spots, even at ISO 100, can look a bit square -- like blocking.

While you can certainly create exceptional things with most any capable camera, I'm slightly interested in something like these two Nikons. I have heard that rolling shutter is minimal on the D5500 as well. And I'm interested in the Flat profile Nikon's created for these cameras.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I have tried the D500, ended up giving it back to the shop, but the image in 4K is definitely good. Superb colour science and very good flat profile with clean codec.

It is like a 2x crop 1D C.

I know this is a frowned upon phrase around here... but... does it have that mojo like the 1DC has?

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The problem is it is so expensive, you're better off just getting the GH5.

D500 is the same price as the GH5, and if you look around you can find the D500 for hundreds of dollars cheaper. 

And if you need the high end stills capacity of the D500, then the D500 looks like an extremely good value buy compared to the GH5!

And now there is the D7500, that probably by the end of the year will be going for close to half of what the GH5 goes for. 

So while I think the GH5 is absolutely fantastic camera, I think a strong argument can still be made for a Nikon being right for some people's needs.

@mercer

does it have that mojo like the 1DC has?

In my eyes, definetely YES...As Andrew says, it's superb colour science and very maleable and easy to work with in post. Overall look & image structure (texture) are something special OOC.
There are still two aspects I don't like when shooting video: 2x crop in 4K, so you have to use VERY wide focal length lenses when shooting wide and the lack of focus peaking. So it's not easy to shoot run & gun and/or moving subjects, when you want to work with fast lenses wide open and get all your footage perfectly in focus.

And even when making photos, IQ OOC has some specific mojo, some sort of mind blowing characteristics...It reminded me of some pictures seen about one year ago...After thinking about it some days, I got it: It reminded me of some big print photography made with an Nikon F5. So some days ago I bought a Nikon F5 in very good condition and just experimenting with it and the D500. From commercial point of view (probably) useless, but still very interesting and beautiful...:grin:

The D500 has a very special way of handling noise...For photos and video...It's a unique and seldom combination of a kind of "non disturbing noise", a special image texture and clinical sharpness (no AA filter, so very detailed without looking oversharpened). I would call the D500 imaging "the non-plastic one"...

Please consider, this is a personal opinon, based on own experience and taste...