IBIS with GX85 and G85, Is it the same? Problems when PANNING, Help appreciated!

PannySVHS

Hallo guys!

I am in the preparation a little shortfilm and want to shoot handheld. The GX85 is an interesting prospect. Nice ooc color, really great color by grading it.

The IBIS is great except from one thing, where it is not usuable to me at all.

It´s a great mess when panning over an inanimate background. Panning slowly with 20, 28, 35mm, same problem, really nasty jitter.

Following moving subjects is fine, since the subject is kept within the frame. But as soon as I want to to a pan over non moving objects, entering one side of the

frame and leaving to the other, JITTERRRRR! That jitter should be a headline for legimate clickbait, other than classic clickbait headlines!:) It is awful.

My question goes to GX85 and G85 shooters, if the have similar problems with panning over non moving objects/backgrounds/subjects?

Might it be a specific GX85 problem, might there be a cure for it. Is the G85 without this problem or is it a general problematic occurance with Panny IBIS?

Your help is greatly appreciated, as this is driving me nuts. The short has only a short time window as always with super small scale non budget fictional efforts.

Thank you!

cheers, Marty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Doing it with my camera is a mess. Never had these problems with my Panny G6.

Yes, but otoh you didn't have the benefits of IBIS either. I found that it took me 2 or 3 minutes to learn how to end a pan smoothly with IBIS on. Or you could switch IBIS off for when you have to pan.

@meanwhile, thanks for testing.

I just tested panning without IBIS. It seems it is pretty much the same mess.

What works very well are tracking movements, vertical and horizontal, are without jitter, even faster ones!

Anybody willing to do a test as well and maybe post a short vid?

Of either GX85 and G85. I don´t mean a pan, which follows a moving subject/object.

What´s meant is a pan over a nonmoving background/object, which is entering one side of the frame and leaving to the other side by panning over it with the camera.

Just now, PannySVHS said:

@meanwhile, thanks for testing.

I just tested panning without IBIS. It seems it is pretty much the same mess.

What works very well are tracking movements, vertical and horizontal, are without jitter, even faster ones!

Anybody willing to do a test as well and maybe post a short vid?

Of either GX85 and G85. I don´t mean a pan, which follows a moving subject/object.

What´s meant is a pan over a nonmoving background/object, which is entering one side of the frame and leaving to the other side by panning over it with the camera.

I'll shoot a pan if I manage to get out today (I'm getting over flu and there's a thing called rain in the NW UK a lot of the time.)

You would also try this

...What firmware are running?

Also, are the lens you are using stabilized, and how fast are your pans? How long does it take you to go through eg  45 degrees? What resolution are you shooting in?

1 hour ago, meanwhile said:

I'll shoot a pan if I manage to get out today (I'm getting over flu and there's a thing called rain in the NW UK a lot of the time.)

You would also try this

...What firmware are running?

Also, are the lens you are using stabilized, and how fast are your pans? How long does it take you to go through eg  45 degrees? What resolution are you shooting in?

That looks like it's on a slider. OMG. Pretty nifty little feature.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Also remember to use a strap, keep it taut with your elbows to your side and turn your waist not your arms. It's a good ab workout too. 

I have a nifty setup, rubber bands on my cage and backpack straps:)

Seriously, it might be an issue with the encoder in 4K. Haven´t compared HD and 4K yet.

Looking at this video, pans with a GH5 without ibis. Jitter! GH5 shows it in this video and test.

In this second test, they recorded externally to a Shogun, issue still there:

13 minutes ago, robbino said:

Some suggestions over in this forum post that might help

Thanks. Unfortunately that post does not reveal a solution. @jase, @John Matthews, @Jan G, Maybe some avid GX85 filmers could chim in on this. Already wrote Jonpais,

if he could check if his G85 would have the same issue. Hopefully not, of course! :)

So, 7second rule, SD card, calm hand and strong stance, with and without IBIS, etc. didnt matter to the Studder/Flicker/Jitter.

By the way, cuz this is getting exhausting, here is a beautiful video I found in the GX85 thread, when looking for avid GX shooters. Awesome vid,

with beautiful ooc color, from Jan Groenewoud (Jan G). So I think I need a break from jitter judder and rather watch this beautifully filmed vignette.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

I can't even make a steady slider shot, but I'll try to do some panning shots this morning.

Awesome. Thank you very much! Though people will wonder why you won´t consider them worthy enough of being filmed, Jon: "Get outta here, I need me some store fronts and brick walls!":)