Samsung NX1's Smart Range+ and 0-255 luma

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

When the NX1 came out Philip Bloom bought it but didn't use it very much as he said the dynamic range was limited.

I thought it was a bit limited too, turns out we were both wrong...

Here is the effect of Fast Colour Corrector in Premiere changing output levels to 16-235 for NX1 clips recorded in 0-255 RGB range mode.

nx10235.jpg

Original file - blown out clouds...

nx10255.jpg

And here is an additional 1-2 stops in the highlights from enabling Smart Range + in-camera -

SAM_0050b.jpg

SAM_0051b.jpg

I'd put this camera right up there for image quality now... Right near the top of the pile.

Both sample images shot with the superb NXL adapter by the way with Canon 50mm F1.2L full frame FOV and DOF. Thanks Luca :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

16-235 in-camera stops the clipping so you should use that option like in my guide if you want to maximise dynamic range without having to fix the clipping problem in post.

If you're going to fix it in post using 0-255 in-camera is ok.

Smart Range + is a new thing, I saw the effect it had on JPEGs and realised it could be enabled in movie mode as well... I assumed before that it was some kind of Samsung TV thing!!

18 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Ah, shot 3. Will you revise the camera? This filmmaker has really put other cameras to shame with his NX1 and a lot of NX1 shooters even more.

It was shot with the native premium zoom, which NX1 lovers seem to cherish a lot:

Beautiful skin tones, nice lighting, pleasing shallow depth of field, good performance - and if that's AF, it's awesome that it doesn't hunt back and forth once it locks on. Still wish I could find one of these in Vietnam.

59 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Beautiful skin tones, nice lighting, pleasing shallow depth of field, good performance - and if that's AF, it's awesome that it doesn't hunt back and forth once it locks on. Still wish I could find one of these in Vietnam.

Absolutely! Would be nice, if Andrew would have a chance to revise this camera. It has an awesome, unique look. How awesome would it be

to see a comparison with your Fuji XT2!:)  G85 cannot compete in the ooc color department.

4 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

It's not artificial sharpening. It's the sensor which is incredible.

Even at -10 it's way too oversharpened. RED Helium looks 10 times better with even higher resolution 4k thanks to no sharpening.

Here are some examples 
https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Erste-Schaerfe-Charts-der-Samsung-NX1---Starker-4K-Konkurrent---Aus-dem-Messlabor.html#Aus_d (german)

Basically, with a strong diffusion filter or softer lens, the NX1 does wonderful UHD, since the oversharpening algorithm doesn't know what to do. ;)

On 4/8/2017 at 11:53 PM, Andrew Reid said:

16-235 in-camera stops the clipping so you should use that option like in my guide if you want to maximise dynamic range without having to fix the clipping problem in post.

If you're going to fix it in post using 0-255 in-camera is ok.

Smart Range + is a new thing, I saw the effect it had on JPEGs and realised it could be enabled in movie mode as well... I assumed before that it was some kind of Samsung TV thing!!

Do you recommend always activate the Smart Range + ??
In all the recordings?

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:12 PM, deezid said:

Even at -10 it's way too oversharpened. RED Helium looks 10 times better with even higher resolution 4k thanks to no sharpening.

Here are some examples 
https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Erste-Schaerfe-Charts-der-Samsung-NX1---Starker-4K-Konkurrent---Aus-dem-Messlabor.html#Aus_d (german)

Basically, with a strong diffusion filter or softer lens, the NX1 does wonderful UHD, since the oversharpening algorithm doesn't know what to do. ;)

It is not oversharpened. It has higher resolution than most other 4K cameras due to the oversampled sensor.

People call it "oversharpened" because they are conditioned by cameras with poor resolution into thinking that is what it is supposed to look like, but actually those cameras just have poor resolution.