GH5 owners - 6 months later, how are you liking it?

SuperSet

44 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Can't argue that I'm interested in the GH5, but can someone show me some content from the camera that has truly blown them away?

I've had the A7SII for close to 2 years now and feel very much in-tune with it. I've found a colour profile in SLOG2 and a LUT that works every time (Thanks GFILM!) and produces great results. I could do with better slow mo, I could do with slightly more punchy, clean footage, but it's not essential. There's not a huge reason to upgrade, and I'm gonna preach the 'it's not about the camera' line to myself for a little while yet. If anything, the biggest downside with Sony is native lenses. They're still expensive, and I'm still always tempted to go with Canon and use my Metabones adapter. I just hate adding length and weight to the camera that way.

Anyway, from the specs, the GH5 looks great. There's just no way I'm buying a Speedbooster XL and a new set of lenses for slightly cleaner footage and slightly better slow mo.

Then stick with what you've got. ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Like @ntblowz said, the A7SII cropped slo-mo is borderline awful. It's full of aliasing artefacts! (I know this as I use the camera). 

Vlog is not awful either. Just as steep as Slog. It's a tricky profile but a lot of fun getting results! 

We are comparing cameras: All 120p FullHD seems to use line skipping, on every camera it is borderline "awful" and is clearly inferior to 4K on the same camera in terms of aliasing. But the 120p FullHD on the A7s ii has less aliasing artifacts than most at that frame rate because it does not downsize. I agree it is a nuisance that there is a crop factor, but there is a benefit. Vlog color is what is bad; whatever fun it evokes.

OK, we are all using the term "awful." The GH5 is perfectly fine and has some useful unique features, but let's not get carried away about its DR, low light and AF, which are not the best. They are not awful though.

Had mine for 1 week now, i'm currently traveling Europe with a guitar player and gotta say I am so glad this stabilization is in here. been shooting on my trusty gh4 for 3 years and bought the gh5 specifically for the ibis and just a week in it has earned its keep. I mean the spec improvements over my gh4 are.. negligible for the most part but image stabilization (for me at least) just changes how I can use this cam (I shoot a lot of handheld with various rigs) feels so light with no shoulder rig. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, markr041 said:

We are comparing cameras: All 120p FullHD seems to use line skipping, on every camera it is borderline "awful" and is clearly inferior to 4K on the same camera in terms of aliasing. But the 120p FullHD on the A7s ii has less aliasing artifacts than most at that frame rate because it does not downsize. I agree it is a nuisance that there is a crop factor, but there is a benefit. Vlog color is what is bad; whatever fun it evokes.

OK, we are all using the term "awful." The GH5 is perfectly fine and has some useful unique features, but let's not get carried away about its DR, low light and AF, which are not the best. They are not awful though.

Not all use line-skipping.

Pixel binning yes, not line-skipping. The former bins pixels in groups, say 3x3. It subsamples the image more intelligently than skipping entire lines.

120fps full HD on the A99 II, GH5 and Leica SL is definitely not awful. It's almost as good as the 1080/24p.

120p on the A7S II does not have less aliasing artefacts than the A99 II's full frame 120fps. It is a 2x crop and still has aliasing. The A99 II has no crop in 120p and less aliasing.

The GH5 has the best dynamic range on the market for the price ($2000) especially in the Rec.709 picture profiles compared to Rec.709 on other cameras. In V-LOG it is competitive with S-LOG on the full frame Sonys.

You have so much more headroom in the highs and lows with standard colour in 10bit.

Even in 8bit I think colour and dynamic range is massively improved on the GH5 compared to the GH4.

The GH5 is superb in low light as well, again in part thanks to 10bit, and in part the new sensor.

AF is fantastic in stills mode, but not in video mode, but then there are very few cameras that ARE offering very good reliable AF in video mode with 4K for under $2000.

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

QFTT!  Save your money for house deposit or next travel, if you are happy with what you got there is no need spend money.  I am saving up for newer car :glasses:

I have seen nice footage from the GH5; I'd dig a great EVF and 4K 60p; I'm a nerd too, and I'd also like stuff like waveform monitors; and no extra crop in 4K is big; so are dual card slots. But at this point, my current camera isn't what's holding me back from walking the red carpet. 

7 hours ago, tihon84 said:

Does anyone know how to proper exposure vlog? I need maximum dr, should i expose to 0 using grsy card?

thanks

In my experience, set zebra to 80% and expose to the right (i.e. dial down exposure juuust a notch once zebra appears in the brightest part of the frame you are going to shoot). Then pull down in post if your scene is too bright. Quick and easy.