GH5 owners - 6 months later, how are you liking it?

SuperSet

Just received mine with the Sigma 50-100 (the 18-35 didn't arrive yet...) and Tiffen Black Diffusion FX filters.
I'm really impressed.

Download the Original file to see how organic this camera actually looks
Sorry for the shakiness, just shot out of hand after gym, using no lights at all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, deezid said:

Just received mine with the Sigma 50-100 (the 18-35 didn't arrive yet...) and Tiffen Black Diffusion FX filters.
I'm really impressed.

Hallo, haven´t you been shooting with the GH5 for a while and being unsatisfied about its lack of a zero sharpening setting?

By the way, love your GH4 stuff, especially "Americana"!

On 02/08/2017 at 7:24 PM, SuperSet said:

Hey guys, 

I haven't been really following this forum so thought I'd check back in with the GH5 owners.  It's almost 6 months since the release.  For those who bought the GH5, how are you liking it now?
Did you buy it and sell it later?  Did you keep it and learn to live with its limitations?

I got mine in march. I owned a GH4 before, so I wasn't new to pana stuff, still after the shitstorm on the forums I was pretty unconfident with my new camera and it's capabilies and was thinking about about switching to A6500. After 5 months of use, I am pretty confident not to switch. 

The DR is not really improoved, but still you get a solid slow mo (with a cheap mitakon speedbooster you only have 1.5x crop, while the A7SII crops even more in 120fps mode), the battery is awesome, the ergonomics feels okay, and you get a 4:3 full sensor readout. IMO this is really a big deal, i found myself using this even without anamorphic lenses, I can reframe any shot. 4K 60fps is awesome, but the 10bit codec sucks. IBIS saves my powers, no need for tripods or shoulder rigs while running around on the field. The Like709 will become your favourite, i swear this is the best picture profile i ever used (not counting the logs).

If you watch any review on the YT, they will tell you exactly the same. So if you don't need propper AF (like the A6500 have), get a gh5, get a cheap speedbooster, get some vintage lenses and unleash your creativity.

With me it´s: 10 months later- GX85- how am I liking it. Well, that skinny HD 24p 8bit codec gave me something I would call color mojo.

Shot in classic Natural. I bet the GH5 will be a monsterous color monster with its 10bit and flawless HD, not even to speak of the 4K.

So here, finally my first footage with my GX85 which is a mini G85 which is a mini GH5:)

Maybe I should start a new thread, but...

A few people mentioned that it performs well in low light and has improved dynamic range. Can anyone compare the low-light and DR to that of the sony a6300 / a6500???

Since I shoot real estate videos, I would need MORE depth of field and low-light performance is critical, along with dynamic range.

Thanks in advance.

On 03/08/2017 at 9:22 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hallo, haven´t you been shooting with the GH5 for a while and being unsatisfied about its lack of a zero sharpening setting?

By the way, love your GH4 stuff, especially "Americana"!

Updated there -- just follow the links : )

On 04/08/2017 at 2:10 AM, Mark Romero said:

Maybe I should start a new thread, but...

A few people mentioned that it performs well in low light and has improved dynamic range. Can anyone compare the low-light and DR to that of the sony a6300 / a6500???

Since I shoot real estate videos, I would need MORE depth of field and low-light performance is critical, along with dynamic range.

Thanks in advance.

More shallow DOF, you say?

You can match both GH5 and a6300 / a6500 using a Metabones / Speedbooster type adapter or going with faster glass (large apertures). Other than that, go on Sony's APS-C sensor size camp.

8 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

With a speedbooster XL the gh5 has me questioning my 1dxII - better files sizes, ibis, small size, flip screen, and the colors are nipping on Canon's heals. 

IMG_0018.JPG

I will know the answer to this question soon enough. But for now I think the Canon has the edge. I can take magical pictures all day long without even trying with my 1DXMk2... It's more work with the GH5, as I refuse to ruin the system again with the SB. The 42.5mm Nocticron has magic, but so does most of my Canon L glass. 

Hildy.thumb.jpg.8838589a32a8babd0413fb098ea2b101.jpgCocktailsForTwo.thumb.jpg.a01aef14542ab5a3213edb2febbfcbef.jpg

Monica walkin the dog.jpg

What do I think 6 months on? LOVE IT.

As a former user of an A7sii, I have come to learn that the GH5 is so much better in almost every way. However, I do find the native lenses don't give me the look I want but am getting amazing results from speedboosting some EF mount Sigma's and some old vintage Nikons. Shooting almost exclusively V-Log too and finding the low light is good up to 3200, which is perfect for most uses.

Colours are so much better than GH4, V-log easier to grade and doesn't break or have wired colour/noise issues. Slow mo is great, IBIS is great. Thumbs up all around.

13 hours ago, Mark Romero said:

Please elaborate when you have a moment. Thanks.

Easy. Nothing that hasn't been said before really, but after using the a7sii last weekend I just found it so awkward to use. But if you want me to spell it out, I think the GH5's advantages (from my extensive experience of using both) over the a7sii are...

Better battery, better colors, MUCH better menus, 10bit, NO CROP IN SLOW MO (compared to the painful2 x crop on the a7sii), feature rich (like built in timelapse etc), MUCH better EVF/LCD, dual sd. I could go on.

Yes, the Sony is amazing in low light but ad the expense of colour and dynamic range.

1 hour ago, 64mulford said:

Easy. Nothing that hasn't been said before really, but after using the a7sii last weekend I just found it so awkward to use. But if you want me to spell it out, I think the GH5's advantages (from my extensive experience of using both) over the a7sii are...

Better battery, better colors, MUCH better menus, 10bit, NO CROP IN SLOW MO (compared to the painful2 x crop on the a7sii), feature rich (like built in timelapse etc), MUCH better EVF/LCD, dual sd. I could go on.

Yes, the Sony is amazing in low light but ad the expense of colour and dynamic range.

IMO, for video the GH5 is the best hybrid to date. The jury is out for stills. I think Panasonic needs to add more glass like the 42.mm Nocticron. Great build quality, fast and accurate. It can produce awesome images easily. Perhaps they need to buyout Leica?

4 hours ago, 64mulford said:

Sorry, the DR of the A7s ii is greater than that of the GH5. The A7s ii 120p crop gives you the same fov as the GH5, so that can't make it inferior to it! And the crop means no aliasing aftifacts. Vlog colors are awful. Sony colors have a lot of variants, but perhaps you couldn't figure out the menus to find the set you would like :).

6 hours ago, markr041 said:

Sorry, the DR of the A7s ii is greater than that of the GH5. The A7s ii 120p crop gives you the same fov as the GH5, so that can't make it inferior to it! And the crop means no aliasing aftifacts. Vlog colors are awful. Sony colors have a lot of variants, but perhaps you couldn't figure out the menus to find the set you would like :).

crop in 2X is very bad, especially if you are switching to slowmo on the go as it totally changing the composition. Sony color is really hard to get right, that coming off as formal FS5, A7RII, A7S and A6300 owner, nowadays I use C100MKII for corporate and GH5 for everything else.

DR on Sony camera is very good, so as lowlight, but i dont really miss it (don't shoot at night nowadays), not one client asked is the video getting less DR lol, as long the composition and colour looks right that all they care.

7 hours ago, markr041 said:

Like @ntblowz said, the A7SII cropped slo-mo is borderline awful. It's full of aliasing artefacts! (I know this as I use the camera). 

Vlog is not awful either. Just as steep as Slog. It's a tricky profile but a lot of fun getting results! 

17 hours ago, markr041 said:

You're right with the DR, A7SII definitely got the edge! But the 2x crop is bullshit with the slowmo. If you use a speedbooster with the GH5 you get a 1.5x crop with 180fps. Also strongly disagree with your statement on the color. If you badly expose LOG no matter what brand you use, it'll be crap. 

19 hours ago, markr041 said:

Each to their own. I'm a long time slog2 grader and when I had the GH4 I would have agreed with you about Slog having better colours and DR but with the GH5 I'm getting amazing results and pushing it so much more.

As for the crop, yes I realise that it essentially gives you a m43 crop, but that's not my point. The quality sucks and that fact you have say a 50mm lens on that instantly becomes a 100mm if you switch to 120fps is terrible for run and gun shooting, or any shooting for that matter. Plus I use speedbooster xl on the gh5 anyway, so getting 180fps, better quality than the 120fps on the sony at close to full frame without the hassle.

I've not had it six months, just 6 weeks! But I have fallen in love with it. After using and not liking, specifically the colours off a GH4 a few years back, I was hesitant but I love the image I get and I'm only using the low bit rate MP4. When I've enough storage space I'll certainly start using the 10bit files. No issues at all so far in 'low light' at wedding receptions. Ergonomically as well it just feels right it the hand as well.

Can't argue that I'm interested in the GH5, but can someone show me some content from the camera that has truly blown them away?

I've had the A7SII for close to 2 years now and feel very much in-tune with it. I've found a colour profile in SLOG2 and a LUT that works every time (Thanks GFILM!) and produces great results. I could do with better slow mo, I could do with slightly more punchy, clean footage, but it's not essential. There's not a huge reason to upgrade, and I'm gonna preach the 'it's not about the camera' line to myself for a little while yet. If anything, the biggest downside with Sony is native lenses. They're still expensive, and I'm still always tempted to go with Canon and use my Metabones adapter. I just hate adding length and weight to the camera that way.

Anyway, from the specs, the GH5 looks great. There's just no way I'm buying a Speedbooster XL and a new set of lenses for slightly cleaner footage and slightly better slow mo.