GH5 owners - 6 months later, how are you liking it?

SuperSet

Hey guys, 

I haven't been really following this forum so thought I'd check back in with the GH5 owners.  It's almost 6 months since the release.  For those who bought the GH5, how are you liking it now?
Did you buy it and sell it later?  Did you keep it and learn to live with its limitations?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
44 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

4k 60p is great.  Color is improved.  Ibis.  Keeping mine until Sony relases their equivalent because I really want that af-c.

If you can't make money with this I'm certain it's not the camera...

Hi, when you mention the color, are you talking about SOOC color or ability to grade the footage?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It has amazing dynamic range even in Rec.709.

It has remarkably low rolling shutter compared to Sony.

The 10bit files are amazing in low light with lots of 'depth' and richness to the shadows. It helps that it's so good in low light anyway with very clean ISO 3200.

Tons of features, I will write a guide about it but it will take a while.

Review coming soon, I know it's been ages but I will get round to it!

Do you really find the ISO usable to 3200? I find to stay clean you need to be around 1600 or less. 

This camera is fantastic!...would use it alongside the Varicam LT with no hesitation!...Great in every way, but especially in the ease of customizing and the  myriad of ways you can do it.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It has remarkably low rolling shutter compared to Sony.

The 10bit files are amazing in low light with lots of 'depth' and richness to the shadows. It helps that it's so good in low light anyway with very clean ISO 3200.

Tons of features, I will write a guide about it but it will take a while.

Review coming soon, I know it's been ages but I will get round to it!

Glad to hear you're doing a guide Andrew!...this is a complex camera...I have a feeling you'll sell many!

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Do you really find the ISO usable to 3200? I find to stay clean you need to be around 1600 or less. 

For my experience, if you don't underexpose the image even the G7 is great in low light.

Last week I tried the RED Scarlet-W with the new Zeiss CP3 lenses and Angenieux 30-90 zoom for 3 days and shot most of the images with both RED (in raw) and GH5 with Olympus 12-40 (8 bit). 

Nothing scientific, just some random shots in difficult conditions: honestly the RED is an AMAZING camera, easy to use, super professional, I'd love to buy it... but the GH5 is not bad at all and for my everyday shooting (music videos and shorts) it is far more easy to manage and probably more creative thanks to its dimensions (I would not put the Scarlet on a cheap drone or on a Gorillapod). I'm not saying that the GH5 is in the same league, one is an Hollywood camera, the other is a prosumer little camera, but I do love it! 
V-LogL il great, far better then with GH4 (less noise etc) and to be honest, also RED has some noise in the shadows. Of course you can get rid of that noise in a second, just doing the basic color correction, but I was shocked by the easiness you can match the GH5 with the RED.

So, I'm not only in love with the GH5, but I think it offers more then 99% of the people needs. A great little camera :)

WB is better than GH4 and SOOC colors have been improved over last generation, less Panasonic weird yellow/green.

I never had GH4 but color is decent... nothing in this price range grades super well, you have to get it relatively close in camera.

Really can't go wrong for video unless you NEED low light then of course Sony A7 series is the way to go.

Love it.  There are only a few instances where another camera could do a specific job better.  For 90% of the projects that 90% of us are shooting, its a steal.

The 180fps with 5 axis stabilization has been such a breath of fresh air. Anamorphic mode if that's your thing (which in 6K Photo Mode gives you the same resolution as a RED Epic W in Ana mode btw). The 4K60 is nice, I hardly use it.  Use the 10bit constantly.

It's replaced our RED just from ease of use alone (trying to sell it now).

We simply aren't losing enough image quality to warrant the extra hassle. 

1 hour ago, Neumann Films said:

The 180fps with 5 axis stabilization has been such a breath of fresh air. 

It's replaced our RED just from ease of use alone (trying to sell it now).

Good to hear from you again, Luke. 

Are you guys still using those Nikkors with the GH5? I'm guessing the stabilization works well enough with those non-native lenses to make a difference.

Any other lessons you've learned since you did the first GH5 video?

I am 70% photos, 30% video. The AF is extremely good and for video considerably better than what I see around shot with the A6500. Low light, 10bit, 4k 60p, vlog, audio quality, super wide 4k with no crop, ibis, battery life, colours, no banding, DR, cine-D with Leeming lut, EVF! - all super. Very happy with it. Using the PL12-60 all the time. 

Really like it. Better in so many ways than the GH4.

For paid jobs I really think this is a versitile and really killing combo vs more expensive and bigger cameras. But when I shoot own shortfilms, musicvideos or other more 'art' stuff I would like to have more DR, better motion, even better colors and so on. But have to say in those kind of jobs, GH5 is really capable also!

Here is my latest musicvideo with GH5:

I've had mine since day one and use it for video and photo. Aside from the remarkable video features, this thing is a wonderful stills camera. I shot a wedding this past weekend with it. Had to boost the ISO to 4000 for the reception and it looks fantastic. The AF-C with 225 point AF worked amazingly. Normally I use my Nikon D3s for receptions due to the low light IQ and focussing ability, but the GH5 blew it out of the water focussing-wise. 

Yep, I adore mine. The biggest weakness of the GH3 and 4 were colours and lowlight for me.

The GH5 is awesome in these respects and adds IBIS (beautiful, precious IBIS)

I've always been looking over the fence at the C Line for my business, but since the GH5 I've stopped looking. It does everything in a wonderfully compact form factor which is amazing for travelling gigs, being unobtrusive and getting otherwise impossible shots.