NX-1 320mbps RAW-ish video?

Juxx989

I spent a while reading and watching that Steve Yedlin Argument this inspired me to this experiment

So I was just messing around the other day and decided to shoot 1080p on my NX1 and found myself  Fiddling with the bitrate hack which I usually leave on 140-160 mbps  

Was curious so I started messing with the bit rates and typed in 400mbps and got denied kept dropping down in increments of 10 until it allowed 320mbps

I took it out shooting and the camera didn't skip a beat with audio + Autofocus with both S lenses. was shooting for around 40min and the only thing I could tell was when you pulled the SD card out right after shooting it was a bit a little warm.

I also Shot some 120fps @320mbps and it would only go about 30 sec before failing... I dropped it down to 300mbps and it recorded continuously I just stopped it after 3 min...

Perhaps its wishful thinking but I do "feel" the image is somewhat "thicker" is this basically like shooting 4k 160 and outputting to 1080 and rez up  4k again?  

First shot is the "Raw" File

Second shot is a Grade I was trying to make match/cut with this frame. ( I failed the shot is much more blue than mine)

Untitled_1_60.2.thumb.jpg.89e57f4545e68fc1e783f4fa6f48b1f1.jpg

Third shot is 120fps @320mbps played back @ 20% speed

I uploaded the bike shot Raw out of camera if you wish to mess with it. I have no pro scopes or calibrated monitor to see is there is any advantage to this let me know your thoughts and or findings (about 160mb)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mz6D_bQOx7SFZSWnQyU1VINms/view?usp=sharing

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

I spent a while reading and watching that Steve Yedlin Argument this inspired me to this experiment

So I was just messing around the other day and decided to shoot 1080p on my NX1 and found myself  Fiddling with the bitrate hack which I usually leave on 140-160 mbps  

Was curious so I started messing with the bit rates and typed in 400mbps and got denied kept dropping down in increments of 10 until it allowed 320mbps

I took it out shooting and the camera didn't skip a beat with audio + Autofocus with both S lenses. was shooting for around 40min and the only thing I could tell was when you pulled the SD card out right after shooting it was a bit a little warm.

I also Shot some 120fps @320mbps and it would only go about 30 sec before failing... I dropped it down to 300mbps and it recorded continuously I just stopped it after 3 min...

Perhaps its wishful thinking but I do "feel" the image is somewhat "thicker" is this basically like shooting 4k 160 and outputting to 1080 and rez up  4k again?  

First shot is the "Raw" File

Second shot is a Grade I was trying to make match/cut with this frame. ( I failed the shot is much more blue than mine)

Untitled_1_60.2.thumb.jpg.89e57f4545e68fc1e783f4fa6f48b1f1.jpg

Third shot is 120fps @320mbps played back @ 20% speed

I uploaded the bike shot Raw out of camera if you wish to mess with it. I have no pro scopes or calibrated monitor to see is there is any advantage to this let me know your thoughts and or findings (about 160mb)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mz6D_bQOx7SFZSWnQyU1VINms/view?usp=sharing

Hi mate, your file it's 62Mbit/s!

For nice footage you need to minimize the cpu.

Use this setting: 1) Turn off the audio. 2) setting all manual mode. 3) UHD 24Fps. 4) 250Mbit/s. You Can shoot for about 1 minute.

I wait your response.

Wow you are correct my file is only 60mbps!

I did it again in the hack menu it says HD pro is set to 320 mbps but it is only recording @ around 60mbps....  

I put my UHD up to 160mbps and its recording as stated

tried your settings but I think you need a Sandisk Extreme pro to hit 250mbps I could only get 200mbps with my card.

Epic fail on my part....

but does my theory hold any water? If you can you change you hack to 320mbps and shoot HD and get better color info/ "thicker image"

Camera will only do reliably 140mbps with autofocus + audio + lens stabiliser.

So far I never seen anyone do a proper test with 140mbps vs 250mbps or 300mbps.
I was thinking about doing one but since you practically have to disable everything in order to shoot above 200mbps, it was never worth it for me.

I would suggest if you tried yourself, go find something with lots of contrasts, and then do 140mbps, 160mbps, 200mbps, 250mbps and 320mbps if you can get  it working that fast.
Then start pulling some shadow to and zoom in on the details, I got the Lexar Professional 2000x, if you cannot do this I might spare some time and try. 

If you plan on getting a faster SD card, look at this review, Lexar is still the King but Toshiba is catching up, SanDisk is awful reliability issues.
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/

12 hours ago, lucabutera said:

Unbelievable!
My SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card is just for shooting Full HD video !!

https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/speed_class/index.html

Yeah I never personally had good experience with SanDisk. 
They wont give you warranty if you use them in dashcams either, which I wont use a brand that wont let you use them in your dashcam because remember using them in a video camera is almost as punishing as a dashcam, you want reliability and it does not speak good when the company admits their cards are no good in dashcams. 
Lexar and Toshiba will let you use them in dashcams and they come very high in lots of punishing reads and writes. 

On 4.8.2017 at 10:10 PM, lucabutera said:

Too bad NX1 only does UHS II but it would be great to be able pushing the UHS II reader in the camera to the limit.

• 8 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 9:50 PM, lucabutera said:

Hi mate, your file it's 62Mbit/s!

For nice footage you need to minimize the cpu.

Use this setting: 1) Turn off the audio. 2) setting all manual mode. 3) UHD 24Fps. 4) 250Mbit/s. You Can shoot for about 1 minute.

I wait your response.

What were your camera settings for this footage? i.e. saturation, gamma dr, master black levels etc? What lens? Also did you convert file to another format for editing or did you use raw h.265 file?

10 hours ago, Allen Smith said:

What were your camera settings for this footage? i.e. saturation, gamma dr, master black levels etc? What lens? Also did you convert file to another format for editing or did you use raw h.265 file?

To get the maximum bitrate do you have to use a very fast SD card, Manual mode, disable all automatisms, disable audio recording and use manual lenses.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎30 at 5:13 AM, Allen Smith said:

... raw h.265...

I know there is a big difference between RAW and H265.

Can someone explain, I also read about EOS M writing RAW 2.5k video at 70MBps (560Mbps).
petapixel.com/2018/05/18/the-original-canon-eos-m-can-shoot-2-5k-raw-video-with-magic-lantern
Do these be right figures (70MBps and not 70Mbps), what kind of RAW it is.

Thank you.