RED RAVEN. Only available in Apple Store.

Dave Maze

• Administrators

Still don't really understand how this situation came about.

Apple have promoted cameras before, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera for instance because of Thunderbolt.

Is Apple trying to court pro users again? Been a while.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

FCPX gets an exclusivity period on the plugin to edit content for the Hydrogen maybe?

The maturity of Resolve into a full blown editor and its ability to run on cheaper hardware using different OS might be concerning them ever so slightly.

How long will it be before buying a big spec Mac and FCPX for editing versus a Linux or Windows machine with a monster graphics card and free Resolve looks a bit reckless financially, if its not there already? People are already looking at the cost and performance of newer Macs and not seeing enough difference to buy an upgrade. Supplementing what you've got Mac wise with a dedicated Resolve machine using gaming components seems a better spend to me right now and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that.

Taking some degree of control of the content creation for 'the next big thing' if that's what the Hydrogen is to become is a way of stopping that drain.

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah but I'm sure more people view the Apple store than your site.

Does website traffic play a role in this? I don't think its like average Joe comes to Apple store to buy a cable and suddenly says to himself Wow, look at it, a $15k cinema gear.. lets click add to cart! 

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

Does website traffic play a role in this? I don't think its like average Joe comes to Apple store to buy a cable and suddenly says to himself Wow, look at it, a $15k cinema gear.. lets click add to cart! 

It's getting a ton of coverage this week. That alone is enough traffic to drive sales. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but if we are to believe what they said on RED's forum - that they can't keep up with manufacturing, I just wonder why they'd expand and create longer backorder times. Unless Apple is helping with manufacturing.

7 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

It's getting a ton of coverage this week. That alone is enough traffic to drive sales. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but if we are to believe what they said on RED's forum - that they can't keep up with manufacturing, I just wonder why they'd expand and create longer backorder times. Unless Apple is helping with manufacturing.

Maybe get Foxconn, they got million factory workers to help lol

RED has a strong following but shallow depth ... what better way to increase exposure for the Hydrogen?

May sell 20 cameras but the Apple faithful will recognize the name and associate it with the faith.

So Hydrogen comes along and ... market exposure is bazillions not the small group that live in the RED forum.

Just a guess ... but I can see a number of RED owners jumping the queue by picking a configured camera up from Apple store.

And really 4.5K would work for me ... 

Bob

If I put a deposit on one, I'd be pissed if someone really can jump the queue by walking into an Apple store. If they can't build them fast enough, perhaps Apple is helping out, but still.

IMO placing it in the Apple Store is strictly for the loads of free PR providing added attention to the Hydrogen - since about 2 billion handheld mobile devices will be purchased this year, compared to the Raven which likely sells in the tens of thousands - at the expense of putting off a few Raven customers. For some reason this announcement is blowing up all over the web. A win for Red.

It does appear Apple is trying to show it hasn't abandoned pro users as well. Time will tell.

• Super Members

I remember back in the Epic days they came up with the M version which people could jump the queue ahead of the X version if they stumped up the money so its not without precedent for them.

Not sure whats gone on here as it seems a confused picture as to why they seemingly couldn't deliver until 2018 and now they are available from stock at Apple.

I thought there might be some reaction on Reduser to it if they had bypassed a bunch of backorders to favour Apple but there doesn't seem to be.

Mind you, Jannard could go on there and tell them all to fuck off and the reaction would pretty much be this

python.gif