Mini Slider

mercer

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, mercer said:

Not everybody has Tour De France money... I've gotta separate my needs from my wants. But I will need this in about a month. 

Do you have one and if so, does it have longevity? It seems like a cool product that may break after a couple uses?

Yes I have one and only one piece has fallen off it so far in its travels in my stupidly filled bag in the past three months.

In that same period of work I have broken the memory card slot on a Fuji X-T20, chipped the rear optic on a Nikon 1.4TC, killed a Panasonic battery charger with rain and totally destroyed the rear screen of my beloved Nikon Df. And we still have another week of this current trip to go.

So, in relative terms, its doing quite well !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If it helps, I have a really good way of carrying any sort of gear like this so it is protected and quickly accessible without adding much weight:

- Buy a plastic food storage container - generic tupperware type stuff - slightly bigger than the whatever

- Line with bubble wrap held in place with duct tape; squash selected bubbles or add more wrap as needed.

..That's it. You can carry almost anything this way and if you've spent a little time on fit it will slide in and out of the container fast but by almost invulnerable inside it.

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

You mean you guys don't use camera backpacks or at least the padded compartments you can buy separately?

I have a wide variety of overpriced cases and bags that I haul stuff round in.

Its the abuse the gear gets when its taken out of them that causes the problems for me.

10 hours ago, scotchtape said:

You mean you guys don't use camera backpacks or at least the padded compartments you can buy separately?

I use the tupperware+bubble wrap method for my stills gear. The (generic) tupperware goes in military surplus bags. Usually British Army S6 rubberised gas mask bags. Light, tough, waterproof fabric, cost next to nothing. I link two together with a connector when I need more space, then if I need more again I carry another bag on the other side. Bubblewrap outperforms any expensive camera bag insert for shock absorb in absolute terms or per weight. And the tupperwares are waterproof and keep the bubblewrap together. Better, cheaper, lighter.

Tripods and monopods I carry on a strap - use a cable tie to fasten a spilt ring to them. Reflectors ride on the strap of another piece of gear.

On 8/1/2017 at 5:45 PM, BTM_Pix said:

On a complete tangent.....

Go motorised for under $50 (including some strips of lino which you'll need outdoors!).

Fits in your pocket and honestly with a small camera it is far better than it has a right to be for the price.

Thanks for this, just purchased from Amazon :)

• Super Members
On 01/08/2017 at 6:58 PM, mercer said:

Not everybody has Tour De France money... I've gotta separate my needs from my wants. But I will need this in about a month. 

Do you have one and if so, does it have longevity? It seems like a cool product that may break after a couple uses?

Put it on the floor while with an RX100 on it to record a couple of quick clips for you today so you could see it in action !

This was on smooth-ish flooring but a small strip of lino to run it on would make a difference.

Its not going to give the makers of real motorised sliders any sleepless nights but with a bit of post stabilisation (which these clips obviously don't have) its not bad at all.

And its very stealth.

I'm going to experiment with pimping the wheels with some chunkier tyres. 

C0018.mov

C0017.mov

On 2017-08-01 at 3:14 PM, Gregormannschaft said:

Meant to ask this when I first watched your video, what is that lens you're using at 1:11? It gives an absolutely stunning POV effect, really beautiful. Great work btw.

not 100% sure but it looks very much alike my nikkor 35mm 1.4 ais lens.

On 8/2/2017 at 1:31 AM, cantsin said:

Does anyone have practical experience with these two mini sliders? (They look solid and are affordable.)

Nunber one:

61sUtwRxFlL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Wide-angle-Shooting-Smartphone-Lightweight/dp/B01J2RK3IK

Number two looks like a Edelkrone Slider One knockoff:

2_10_4.jpg

https://www.proaim.com/proaim-wigo-portable-camera-slider.html

YES.  Avoid at all costs.  I have the first one.  It is not smooth at all, a total POS.  

On 31/07/2017 at 11:24 PM, Cinegain said:

Would that give enough of an effect, though?

If you want something easy to pack I'd consider something like this:

Rat rig looks awesome, however I can see it bends with heavier setups. Does anyone have experience with it?

7 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Rat rig looks awesome, however I can see it bends with heavier setups. Does anyone have experience with it?

Unfortunately yes. The GH2 with a 14-140 was acting well, but the 5DII with the Tamron 24-70 2.8 was bending just a little bit. Don't use heavy setups with it. I still love it for light setups, hard to beat it.

2 hours ago, andrgl said:

lol the travel is so short

I guess it depends on what type of slider moves you need. I still have my Konova 32" slider which is also motorized and is hacked to do continuous back and forth motion but I've been using the Edelkrone slider + motion module for about 6 months now and have never felt like I was limited by its length, at all. I haven't even thought about using the Konova since getting the Edelkrone motion kit. The one thing this unit needs to make it completely indispensable is a pan and tilt module (maybe something built into the flex tilt head). I will agree that it's expensive but it helped that I was able to buy the slider component used on kijiji for half the original price.

7 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

I guess it depends on what type of slider moves you need. I still have my Konova 32" slider which is also motorized and is hacked to do continuous back and forth motion but I've been using the Edelkrone slider + motion module for about 6 months now and have never felt like I was limited by its length, at all. I haven't even thought about using the Konova since getting the Edelkrone motion kit. The one thing this unit needs to make it completely indispensable is a pan and tilt module (maybe something built into the flex tilt head). I will agree that it's expensive but it helped that I was able to buy the slider component used on kijiji for half the original price.

Yeah the motorized module looks nice. For panning, look for a mount for security cameras I bought one at WalMart years ago and it work pretty well. I think it even came with a remote control.

31 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah the motorized module looks nice. For panning, look for a mount for security cameras I bought one at WalMart years ago and it work pretty well. I think it even came with a remote control.

Does the remote allow you to adjust the panning range?

4 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

Does the remote allow you to adjust the panning range?

No I don't believe so, but I haven't used it in years. It rotates 360 so if my memory serves me, as long as you hold the button down, it will pan. I had a cheap one... well I found it on clearance, so other variants may have more options. 

2 hours ago, Ivanhurba said:

Unfortunately yes. The GH2 with a 14-140 was acting well, but the 5DII with the Tamron 24-70 2.8 was bending just a little bit. Don't use heavy setups with it. I still love it for light setups, hard to beat it.

Hard to keep the setup light with the 18-35 :D

Anyway, cheers from SVK as well :)