Best 50mm-ish lens to pair with Sigma 18-35mm

meanwhile

I'm looking for something that would have the same focusing direction (so not a Nikon) and would have a similar look...?  I'd shoot the Sigma on a Turbo 2 and the 50mm unboosted to get a 100mm equivalent. 50 is ideal, but I'm open to anything from 35mm to 60mm.

It's possible that I might shoot the lenses on separate bodies, with GX80s being so cheap, so maybe the two could have separate WBs and other in camera settings. But close without that would be nice - although I suppose I could store per-lens settings in a custom mode. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, meanwhile said:

Something cheaper and vintage???

You'll be hard-pressed finding a vintage 50mm that's as ultra-contrasty as the 18-35. Most vintage lenses have significantly less contrast than modern lenses so it can be difficult to get them match. That being said, I frequently pair a CY Zeiss 50mm 1.7 with my 18-35 and things usually turn out looking pretty good. Lovely piece of glass. 

21 minutes ago, Parker said:

You'll be hard-pressed finding a vintage 50mm that's as ultra-contrasty as the 18-35. Most vintage lenses have significantly less contrast than modern lenses so it can be difficult to get them match. That being said, I frequently pair a CY Zeiss 50mm 1.7 with my 18-35 and things usually turn out looking pretty good. Lovely piece of glass. 

When you said "contrasty" I thought Zeiss/Vlander/Rollei - or maybe Pentacon? Thanks, that's a big help.

2 hours ago, Linus N said:

I really like my Canon FD 50mm f1.4. Sure, as the other forumites here are saying it's not as contrasty as the 18-35mm, but imo it's easily fixed in post. I find the image from the FD 50/1.4 really pleasing

The FD is undoubtedly a nice lens. But I'm lazy. And who wouldn't want to buy a lens called an Ultron??? (That's the Rollei version, I think.)

54 minutes ago, jcs said:

Well, yes - a lens that old has to be cheap by now... NASA will probably pay me to take one off their hands.

1 hour ago, TwoScoops said:

Voigtlander 58mm has similar contrast/sharpness from F2.8

I'm not great at vintage lenses, but hat's pretty much a Zeiss with another name, isn't it? The same optical design and coating, but a different factory?

Will a high contrast lens make focus peaking work better? That seems reasonable..

8 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@meanwhile

The 1.8 Ultrons have a different design and different coating. The Rollei Planars and Zeiss ones share the same design and equivalent coating. @Parker s advise, I would second, CY Zeiss 50mm 1.7.

What is your favorite 50mm when you do photography?

I'm fairly lens agnostic. I need the Sigma, so I'm happy to get a match. The Zeiss style does appeal to me though, so I'm happy to go for a member of that family.

Already mentioned, just to add some info: cheap and (still) hidden gem - Voigtlander Color Ultron f1.8. (In fact, there is second "concave" version which is very pricey.)

It is full Zeiss Planar construction, different from CY f1.7. QBM mount is very easy to adapt or - I think even unikely - convert to EOS mount.

http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlnder-color-ultron-50mm-f1-8-in-m42-singapore-t72279.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/rollei-voigtlander-color-ultron-1-8-50mm-on-canon-t3-t71100.html

My 10 cents on the topic: Concerning the question which 50mm lens best matches the Sigma 18-35mm/1.8, the answer can only be the Sigma Art 50mm; a close second is the older version of the lens, 50mm EX DG HSM, which is still a stellar performer and can be found for about $200 used (or $300 new):

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/50mm-F1.4-EX-DG-HSM-Nikon-on-Nikon-D800E-versus-Sigma-18-35mm-F18-DC-HSM-A-Canon-on-Canon-EOS-760D__202_814_1141_1011

My advice to the OP is to forget vintage 50mm lenses, since the Sigma 18-35mm is a modern, high-resolution, high-contrast lens design (using modern types of glass and coating) that can't be replicated with an old lens. (You can do the opposite, make the modern Sigma look old just by screwing a cheap old filter on the lens.)

How about the Canon EF 40 2.8 STM?

Sharp and cheap.      80mm FF angle of view on M43.    Ok it isn't all that fast but do you need faster?

It has the advantage of likely being in better condition than a 3rd or 4th hand old timer (and not as much time would have passed to ruin the lens or it to be dropped ETC).

7 hours ago, noone said:

How about the Canon EF 40 2.8 STM?

Sharp and cheap.      80mm FF angle of view on M43.    Ok it isn't all that fast but do you need faster?

40mm hardly make a difference to the 35mm maximum focal length of the companion Sigma zoom.

57 minutes ago, cantsin said:

40mm hardly make a difference to the 35mm maximum focal length of the companion Sigma zoom.

I'd be using the zoom on a focal reducer and the other lens without. So the 35mm becomes a 24mm. A 40 would pair very well fl wise - but I'm buying a fast zoom and a focal reducer because I do want fast lenses - I live in the NW UK and for a lot of the year light is scarce here -  so the f2.8 loses points there. And Canon lenses have a strong look that I don't think meshes well with Sigma, although it is one I like a lot.

..Thinking about it, high contrast lenses are probably the best choice for shooting in overcast, which is standard for me.

13 hours ago, cantsin said:

My 10 cents on the topic: Concerning the question which 50mm lens best matches the Sigma 18-35mm/1.8, the answer can only be the Sigma Art 50mm; a close second is the older version of the lens, 50mm EX DG HSM, which is still a stellar performer and can be found for about $200 used (or $300 new):

That seems like a very good answer! Thanks.

15 hours ago, meanwhile said:

I'm not great at vintage lenses, but hat's pretty much a Zeiss with another name, isn't it? The same optical design and coating, but a different factory?

Will a high contrast lens make focus peaking work better? That seems reasonable..

They are both made by Cosina, but not sure how close the optics are. I could do a test with Zeiss 85mm at f2.8 in FX mode and Voigt 58mm at f2 DX mode and try and match up the distance etc to see how close they look.

19 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

They are both made by Cosina, but not sure how close the optics are. I could do a test with Zeiss 85mm at f2.8 in FX mode and Voigt 58mm at f2 DX mode and try and match up the distance etc to see how close they look.

Thanks, but would be too much trouble for you - I'm willing to settle for being approximate on fl.

I'm sure I've seen your stills port - which is great - before. ...Did you recently shoot with a model who uses the online name Bluesy?  This is my stills port http://ilikeicicles.weebly.com/