Questions about the X-T2.

deezid

Am thinking about using the Fuji X-T2 instead of the GH5 for a small feature film production.

What I figured out so far is:

• External F-LOG is beautiful, it doesn't even show any processing artifacts, 8 bit doesn't seem to be a big problem while grading.
  • Colors using internal simulations are breathtaking. Astia looks amazing and using shadows/highlights at -2 the DR looks quite adequate.

Open questions:

• Internal sharpening can be set to -4, which seems absolutely ok to me (way better sharpening algorithm than the GH5), but the strong noise reduction is worrying me, lot's of fine low contrast detail is lost. Is there a noise reduction setting for Video as well? If so, I would love to see a 4K example with Classic Chrome or ProNeg, -2 highlights/shadows, -4 sharpening/noisereduction. 
  • Is it possible to set shutter to 180 degrees or 1/48?
  • Which lenses would you guys recommend? I think I'm going for the Kit and the 23mm and 50mm F2.0.
  • How is the battery life with the original battery?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@deezid First of all, can't wait to see the finished film. I've often repeated that the X-T2 would be great for narrative films, but haven't seen much yet. Since I just picked up an external recorder, I've been curious how F-log looks. I'll have to give it a shot sometime this week. The f/2 lenses are superb, especially the 50mm, and they're light enough to allow flying the camera on a small gimbal. There isn't a dud among the lenses I own, but the 90mm f/2 and 50-140mm f/2.8 are among my favorites. Thinking of getting the 16mm f/1.4 if I ever start using the camera again. BTW, battery life is abysmal, get yourself the vertical power booster.

@jonpais

Very beautiful! I really like this color science OOC: balanced, pleasant colors without any work in post and (in my eyes) a very beautiful skin texture.

Now I shot a couple of times with a X-T2 (mainly stills photography) and it was a pleasure to work with: very good ergonomics and feeling and it gives the operator - because of phantastic buttons placement - a very familiar feeling. Miles away from the Sony plastic garbage frustration when holding it in your hands and shooting...

And the SOOC imaging/colors have a kind of unique mojo...

You cant set noise reduction in video but from my experience it is a lot less aggressive than the Panasonic cameras ive had. Its usable at iso 6400 and sometimes more imo. 

I would be careful of using -2 highlights/shadows on everything. It can end up making things look really weird. I used to use mostly Provia or Classic Chrome with -1 h/s. I would use ProNeg Std with -2 h/s when i absolutely needed more DR. This camera changed the way i shot. I stopped looking to capture maximum tonal range and started looking for shapes and silhouettes in the shadows. 

You can get up to an hr's recording on one battery. 

The 35 and 23 f1.4 are gorgeous lenses.  A little slower and heavier than the f2 lenses but worth it imo. The 16-55 f2.8 will also be good but will have to be used on a shoulder rig or other stabiliser.  

• Super Members

Same as M43, you can get adapters to Fuji X from virtually any mount so from CY to Nikon to PL and all points in between.

The Nikon lens turbos are cheap and give some great options with the X-T2 or X-T20

My love affair with the X-T20 hit the rocks on last night's job when the spring went in the memory card slot. Had to fish the card out like getting ketchup out of a bottle with a knife.

I hope the X-T2s is going to be real and dropping sometime soon! ~ http://www.fujirumors.com/?s=x-t2s

Definitely something I'd be into as well. From a sensor perspective you do get that more organic feel, with greater dynamic range, richer colors and better lowlight high ISO noise performance. As well as generally just less crop with better access to wide angle options. Plus, you can use a focal reducer and boost it towards fullframe. Currently though, there's just too much wrong with all the mirrorless APS-C options I feel like. If the X-T2s is like a sorta bigger cousin to the Olympus E-M1 Mark II, with APS-C sensor, that would tick all them boxes!

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

I hope the X-T2s is going to be real and dropping sometime soon! ~ http://www.fujirumors.com/?s=x-t2s

Don't hold your breath. Because

1. The mount size simply doesn't provide the physical margin for effective stabilization. Fuji have repeatedly said this and you can confirm it by just looking at the thing and comparing to stabilized mounts. Does anyone want an IBIS system that would add a lot of cost, drain power, only provide 1 stop of stabilization and cause vignetting and severe loss of contrast around the edges of the frame? I doubt it...

2. That site is beneath contempt. Eg look at the claim that the existence of a prototype XPro1s shows that there is a stablized XT2... When you check the link given, you find that there was a camera of that name - but there was no mention of stabilization. The s seems to have been added just as it was to the XE2s - to show a minor model difference.

If you want to start wishing for new hardware, wish for a stabilized m43 with a BSI sensor. That tech actually exists and would push m43 performance up a full stop...

Well, of course stuff like this is interesting as well... http://www.43rumors.com/press-panasonic-announces-first-organic-sensor-with-global-shutter/ . But Lord knows when implementation is near...

You're very pessimistic about the X-T2s, that's in your own right. I'm more of the 'easy now... let's just wait and see' though. I'd like to be positively surprised. Like a fidget spinner, I'd first like to see for myself what it is about... I can't just tear it down just because I have the idea it would suck (although I'm now at liberty to say: it totally sucks). Like, the X-T2s is just a rumor now. They might've found a great solution to their lack of in-body stabilization. If you have a problem, you get creative and find solutions... that's how innovation works. It's how Canon came up with dualpixel AF for instance.

25 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Well, of course stuff like this is interesting as well... http://www.43rumors.com/press-panasonic-announces-first-organic-sensor-with-global-shutter/ . But Lord knows when implementation is near...

You're very pessimistic about the X-T2s, that's in your own right. I'm more of the 'easy now... let's just wait and see' though. I'd like to be positively surprised. Like a fidget spinner, I'd first like to see for myself what it is about... I can't just tear it down just because I have the idea it would suck (although I'm now at liberty to say: it totally sucks). Like, the X-T2s is just a rumor now. They might've found a great solution to their lack of in-body stabilization.

IBIS consists of moving an image around inside the image circle. If the circle isn't big enough to move around in, that's it.

If you have a problem, you get creative and find solutions... that's how innovation works. It's how Canon came up with dualpixel AF for instance.

No, it really isn't how innovation works. Some problems are tractable, some are not. Arguing that because someone did X someone else can do completely unrelated thing Y doesn't really work...

@meanwhile We had this discussion a while ago. The placement of the sensor in the mount is very similar to that of the Sony E series. And if Sony can do it with a FF sensor, Fuji can do it too. It's not going to be as effective as the m43 one, but it's something at least.

BTW @deezid, photozone just published their review of the 23mm f2 and pretty much came to the same conclusion as I did (and ive had two different copies of the lens). Good build quality, AF and image quality, but the out of focus rendering is very busy - my main gripe with the lens.   http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/1013-fuji23f2?start=1

22 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

@meanwhile We had this discussion a while ago. The placement of the sensor in the mount is very similar to that of the Sony E series.

Speaking more exactly now, it's not the mount margin around the sensor that counts, it's the margin of the image circle. This a characteristic of the lens as much as the camera body. Did you measure that? What were the answers?

Also, if two image circles are "very similar" that doesn't mean much in this context. Eg a 38mm diameter circle may give 3mm of stabilization and a 35mm none. And the mounts and sensor placement may be identical.

...Give Fuji's extreme emphasis on telecentricity in lens design, it would be bizarre if the image circle had a significant margin.

What this story amounts to is a rumour from a rumour site with, as it's only claimed piece of evidence, an actual lie - ie that Fuji demoed a stablized XPro in the past. Against that, Fuji have repeatedly explained why they can't build a stabilized body - and that explanation matches their lens designs and generally makes perfect sense. So I really wouldn't set yourselves up for disappointment!

5 hours ago, meanwhile said:

If you want to start wishing for new hardware, wish for a stabilized m43 with a BSI sensor. That tech actually exists and would push m43 performance up a full stop...

What are you smoking, BSI would not add a full stop. It hasn't come close in any other application, not 1", not APS-c and certainly not FF. No currently available sensor tech is capable of adding a full stop to any sensor size.

20 hours ago, deezid said:

Open questions:

• Which lenses would you guys recommend? I think I'm going for the Kit and the 23mm and 50mm F2.0.
  • How is the battery life with the original battery?

Personally I've found the battery life to be good with the new batteries, but I'm comparing it to the Sony A7's which are much, much worse.

As far as lenses, the kit is ok, the 2.8 zooms are much better. For primes I prefer the faster lenses to keep ISO's down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 2:54 PM, Hanriverprod said:

Great images from a camera at that price but what lens options do you have to use manual focus with good throw for a focus puller on a narrative shoot?

I should add that the Veydra Mini Primes are also available in Fuji X mount and are extremely affordable cine lenses.

The Veydras just might be the ones to get, as they can be adapted to both my Panasonic and Fuji cameras, as well as Sony, should I ever go that route, not to mention the fact that they are compact, affordable and apparently sharp as a tack. This from the Veydra website:

The Veydra Mini Prime Fuji X Mount by Duclos Lenses is an all metal mount that is user changeable for adapting existing Veydra Mini Primes in M4/3, C mount, or Sony E mount to Fuji X mount cameras. Designed and manufactured by the world renowned lens service and custom lens modification experts at Duclos Lenses.