Installing the hack

Andrew Reid

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello everyone I have Firmware Version 1.41 on my Samsung NX1 and I want to install Ottos hack.
In the readme file is stated that firmware version 1.40 should be installed.
So, does the hack also work with 1.41???
Also. it looks like another mod has to be installed before? What do I have to do?
Help  appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, new to the NX1, formerly panasonic GH5S (I know mad arent I) but I love this camera and its a great hybrid. I am having issues installing the hack. I have succesfully installed the NX-ON mod. But I am confused. The mod only works if the install folder remains on the card, so does that mean I can never format it again? I read the part about installing in abother folder onto the actual camera but I am unsure how to do that. Am I missing something? Also with the install patch 5.3 can I also remove the recording limit? I need to remove this importantly. Hope you guys can help.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:35 AM, Jnc0108 said:

Hey guys, new to the NX1, formerly panasonic GH5S (I know mad arent I) but I love this camera and its a great hybrid. I am having issues installing the hack. I have succesfully installed the NX-ON mod. But I am confused. The mod only works if the install folder remains on the card, so does that mean I can never format it again? I read the part about installing in abother folder onto the actual camera but I am unsure how to do that. Am I missing something? Also with the install patch 5.3 can I also remove the recording limit? I need to remove this importantly. Hope you guys can help.

The mod should work after you take the card out. It's been a long time since I've installed the mod, and I forget exactly how I did it. From the readme:

0. The file containing this README.txt includes everything you need.
  1. Make sure the nx-on-wake mod is installed. This mod depends on nx-on-wake.
  2. The zip file includes a nx-patch.png file. Open and print it or
     familiarize yourself with it - it shows the meaning of the various
     bitrate and resolution slots. You will need to know them to use the mod.
  3. Unzip the file where you found this README in the root of your SD card.
  4. Insert the SD card into your camera and power it up. NB. I mean power
     up the camera, not the SD card ?
  5. Pay attention to the messages showing on the screen.
  6. You will be informed when the mod is available (installation is finished).

So it looks like you just put the files on the SD card, put the card in, and follow on screen instructions. Afterwards, you should be able to use the mod without the card being in the camera.

I never had any need for removing a time limit, but it seems that the patch should remove the time limit. (https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/Removing_Movie_Recording_Limit_Without_Hack.md)

21 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

The mod should work after you take the card out. It's been a long time since I've installed the mod, and I forget exactly how I did it. From the readme:

So it looks like you just put the files on the SD card, put the card in, and follow on screen instructions. Afterwards, you should be able to use the mod without the card being in the camera.

I never had any need for removing a time limit, but it seems that the patch should remove the time limit. (https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/Removing_Movie_Recording_Limit_Without_Hack.md)

Thank I will give it a try! it mentions that the sd light should blink 4 times (1 long and 3 short) which shows the nx on mod is active. When I format the card it no longer does this so didnt know whether the mod is actually working or not. I will have another go at it.

• 1 month later...

Ok So I Installed the Hack and it seems to be working although I frequently get an error message that the SD card cannot support eh bitrate I am using. I will buy a faster card an d see but my big problem is that the 1.4.1 camera firmware has a nasty problem of causing the image to flicker from bright to dark in manual mode for no valid reason. I thought this was a setting problem but after trying everything I found another thread that blames this on the 1.4.1 firmware and said that the 1.4.0 firmware doesn't have this problem. So I downloaded it to see. However I launcher does not show a camera connected to the computer when I plug it in to downgrade the firmware. Is this caused by the hack?  Secondly I don't know if downgrading the firmware is even possible with the bitrate hack installed. Has anyone tried this or have any suggestions as to whether this is even possible? 

On 6/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Updated the instructions in the first post, so they're more detailed and cover the preparation steps / nx-on-wake.

Thanks man! I've had an nx1 for two years (after reading your review), debated the hack on and off, and this was the extra boost to finally install it. I've spent a little time in Resolve, but it looks like the footage is holding up well to the grade. While the cameras colors are digitally nice and accurate, I am going to look at boosting some of the lower areas of saturation  to bring the footage to be more filmic. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am barely getting into this camera and I have found all these posts and history incredibly  useful. I have not tried these hacks yet as I am not sure a lens needs to be present to install any of this software (still waiting for an FD adapter to come in).I have tried the simple Dev Tool Hack to make it work without the lens but I cannot get it to work. On my Mac I created a TextEdit file nx_dev.adj and put smart_camera in the file. Saved it but it says like 3xxKB. Not sure if this is the wrong program to create this file in. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, iam_andy said:

Hello,

I am barely getting into this camera and I have found all these posts and history incredibly  useful. I have not tried these hacks yet as I am not sure a lens needs to be present to install any of this software (still waiting for an FD adapter to come in).I have tried the simple Dev Tool Hack to make it work without the lens but I cannot get it to work. On my Mac I created a TextEdit file nx_dev.adj and put smart_camera in the file. Saved it but it says like 3xxKB. Not sure if this is the wrong program to create this file in. 

Haha! Just responding to myself here but after actually installing the Hack(s) I have my NX1 fully working. Though my v60 card may only be able to do like 160mbs though I was hoping to try 320 with a v90 card and see why that does. 

Does anyone know about using a straight external drive such as a Samsung T5 as a recording disk? The camera seems to act a bit wonky when connected to HDMI, I’m not sure if this is just me. 

i would love to get an átomos or monitor but the sound that they emit is not desirable to me. I want something super silent. But idk how you tell the hard drive when to record a clip. Maybe this is basics but as is my level of quality on this thing internally at 160mbs is awesome on my various FD lenses. Favorite of which is the 50mm f1.4! 

I wonder what’s the highest (Mbs) anyone has been able to record??? Is there anyone out there ??? This crap is super interesting!

• 7 months later...