Installing the hack

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

The original creator's instructions are in the Readme.txt file as part of the download (links below), all credit goes to the hack dev. You must read this before installation. However I thought I might summarise how to get started here in a sticky post to save searching for help (if you need it) in the long threads.

PREPARE CAMERA

1. Ensure fully charged battery

2. In the main menu, ensure Auto Display off = 5 minutes and Power Save = 10 minutes

3. In the main menu, ensure Touch Operation = on

4. Ensure firmware is version 1.41 for the NX1 (you can view this in the main menu under the option Device Information). If older, update firmware according to Samsung's instructions online or via Wifi in the camera menus.

5. Format a memory card in-camera

6. Turn off bluetooth and wifi, set mode dial to M

PREPARE THE NX-ON-WAKE PATCH

1. From the following link download nx-on-wake.zip https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/nx-on-wake/nx-on-wake.zip

2. Extract all files in nx-on-wake.zip to the ROOT directory of your SD card.

3. Insert the SD card into the camera, turn on the camera and wait

4. A touch screen menu appears to enter a "Magic Number". This is in the Readme.txt, to ensure you have read it. Please look at that document carefully for the 6 digits. I found "357669" but check to see if different.

5. Message "Thanks, preparing the ground" will appear and the display will go blank momentarily. Green light begins to flash...

WAIT AT LEAST 5 MINUTES

6. Leaving the camera powered on, pull the battery out and wait 10 seconds, then put the battery back in.

WAIT AT LEAST 4 MINUTES

7. Turn off the camera using the power switch.

8. Pull the battery, wait 5 seconds and put the battery back in. Turn on the camera.

9. Look at the green LED, you will see it blink 4 times (one long and three short blinks), to confirm everything went ok.

10. Turn off the camera and remove the SD card.

INSTALL THE MAIN HACK

1. Download nx-patch.zip from https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/tree/master/video-bitrate-mods/nx-patch

2. Delete the all the nx-wake related files and folders from the SD card

3. Extract the nx-patch zip and place everything in the root directory of your SD card

4. Insert card into camera, turn on the camera and wait for the 'Please wait, installing...' message and for it to do its thing

5. Hack should now be activated, turn off/on camera and you can enter the hack menus by rapidly double-pressing the LCD illumination button on the NX1

6. In the hack menus (double-press LCD illumination button), you can select bitrates, and change Pro1 from 80 to an even higher value like 160

7. Press the "Make persistent" option to save any modifications so they remain on the camera at next cold boot

8. Please make sure you have the fastest possible SD card for Pro bitrate 4K recording (80Mbit to 160Mbit). Happy shooting!

nx-patch.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 months later...

Something not working for me ... help needed.

I do not know why, but I imagine that I lost somewhere the SW 1.41 version in my camera and that I am running the hack at SW 1.0 version. That was happened during my holiday in Austria. How that happened... don't know.

Now I will install the SW 1.41 with I-launch, but I cannot connect the NX1 with windows 10. I only see "connection device: not connected" . In windows I can see all images on the camera, I am using the right cable.

Can someone give me some advice? In meanwhile I am looking also at Google to find out.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, keessie65 said:

Something not working for me ... help needed.

I do not know why, but I imagine that I lost somewhere the SW 1.41 version in my camera and that I am running the hack at SW 1.0 version. That was happened during my holiday in Austria. How that happened... don't know.

Now I will install the SW 1.41 with I-launch, but I cannot connect the NX1 with windows 10. I only see "connection device: not connected" . In windows I can see all images on the camera, I am using the right cable.

Can someone give me some advice? In meanwhile I am looking also at Google to find out.

Thank you!

Turn the camera to USB mode.

• 1 month later...

Hey all I have been using the older firmware and KinoSeed hack for a year... I like it but it was starting to get annoying waiting for the mod activated prompt to pop us sometimes taking 5 secs or more...

So I decided to wipe and update to 1.41 

I tested it stock for a bit (80mbps) and popped them into resolve.. the + is they play realtime in my timeline bad is I can definitely feel a difference when grading...

So I got the clean install and tried to install vasile hack

I read the README to a tee got the super secret code... read the quite serious warnings and striped my NX-1 nude...  (no lens, no wires, no battery grip etc)

Copied the files to my SD card... did a cold boot... and ....

nothing happens... I get a lens detached warning and thats it... 

I checked the message a few above about installing the "ON WAKE" mod first.. its on the card and nothing happens...

Any assistance peeps?

I guess I could try KinoSeed again if its out there he seems he deleted his facebook page on the hax 

Did you check that there is anything inside the ZIP-file. I just tested downloading and if I click the nx-on-wake.zip with right mouse button and try to download that way, it wont work. The downloaded ZIP-file is empty. You must click with left button and new window opens and there you can download the ZIP-file. Then unzip it to your empty formatted cards root.

From instructions:

"3. Unzip the file where you found this README in the root of your SD card. Double-check that your SD card now contains two folders: install and nx-on-wake, placed in the root of the card"

HOW TO - INSTALLATION

0. The file containing this README.txt includes everything you need.
  1. Make sure the nx-on-wake mod is installed. This mod depends on nx-on-wake.
  2. The zip file includes a nx-patch.png file. Open and print it or
     familiarize yourself with it - it shows the meaning of the various
     bitrate and resolution slots. You will need to know them to use the mod.
  3. Unzip the file where you found this README in the root of your SD card.
  4. Insert the SD card into your camera and power it up. NB. I mean power 
     up the camera, not the SD card :-)
  5. Pay attention to the messages showing on the screen.
  6. You will be informed when the mod is available (installation is finished).

My clean SD card has on it

INSTALL (Folder)

NX-ON Wake (folder)

COPYING (File)

I did all this to the letter

- NX camera is on firmware v1.41 (NX1) or v1.12 (NX500).

- battery is FULLY charged and that the camera is NOT connected to anything: Bluetooth, wifi, any cables (EVEN CHARGING), external flash, battery grip. EVERYTHING that can be disconnected should be disconnected except the battery and the SD card.

- POWER SAVE settings are: Auto Display Off = 5 min and Power Save = 10 min.

- camera language is set to English <= this is VERY important - mode dial is on M (manual)

and it says its supposed to prompt me for a pass word but nothing ever happens... I let it sit for 20 min a few times... and nothing.

Pretty frustrated and confused... can you link to a video of the process? all I can find is KinoSeed instructions videos and I dont have and trying to avoid KinoSeed for reasons stated above...

Thanks fo the help in advance

@BopBill   Ok we did it I was missing the info.tg went through the mysterious install process I put in the code and did all the things 

It appears it was successful as I see that 4 light blinks on my green light by the menu button... 

Thanks

BUT.......

now I cant seem to get the GUI to pop up so I can change bitrates  Andrew says above that you just double click the little button with the lightbulb on it under the top LCD screen...  Ive been pushing it like crazy and nothing is happening Ill keep trying 

But thanks for getting me this far!

This is the second part of installation prosess:

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/video-bitrate-mods/nx-patch/nx-patch.zip

Instructions are in the ZIP-file.

The hack has the killall button and it is usefull, because using it the other parts of the hack (except bitrates) are not using any prosessing resurces. And after using killall you can't open menu before the battery has been out of the camera ( shut camera and after that battery out for few seconds.)

However the Killall function doesn't remain on many days. You have to do it again after day or two. But you start to make it  habbit to check, with double clicking the little lcd light button, that if the killall function is still on or not. Not a big deal.

@BopBill Hey sir its running great now... thanks for the training wheels treatment  its alot zipper than the other hack 

Now I need to go shoot something   

(FOR FUTURE PEOPLE)

-Download and Install this First

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/nx-on-wake/nx-on-wake.zip

Click this link with left mouse button, and new page opens and there is download button.

-Then install this

This is the second part of installation prosess:

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/blob/master/video-bitrate-mods/nx-patch/nx-patch.zip

Instructions are in the ZIP-file