GH1/GH2 Hack

mercer

10 hours ago, mat33 said:

The GH2 will have a smaller sweet spot to get the best out of it for sure.  When I got my GH3 I found this to be very useful and it is using the GH2:

Pretty good video, thanks. That's pretty much how I expose. Of course he recommends using a light meter, but I'm a little too lazy for that, but with trial and error, I can find how the in camera meter works corresponds with a waveform. I never saw any of this guy's videos, but they seem like a great resource. 

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Awesome idea, you guys, Matt and Glenn! Perfect little manifesto below. Deal!

We could open a thread for this and for discussing ideas, for questions and support.

You guys would come up with the name and would be posting the manifesto/rules below.

I think something like this might sound cool, after it took me 5mins to write it:)

" -- GH2 and friends -- THE ULTIMATE EOSHD GLORIOUS 8bit COLOR shortfilm challenge -- Open til 12-31"

I think we should probably get Andrew's approval to use EOS HD in the title, so maybe something as simple as Back2Basics Short Film Challenge. But since it was @mat33 's idea, I'll concede that decision to him. Another point up for discussion... do we make it a rule that you can only use one lens? Now if you want more freedom, you can use a zoom, or you can really challenge yourself with a single Prime.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Glenn, 100% d´accord:) Back2Basics sounds great. Up to Matt. Using a zoom, awesome. Got my Tokina 28-70 2.6, Nikon mount, boosted on my EF booster.

Helluva awesome lens, beautiful image, no sweat wide open. Optically it is much better than my 24-40 2.8. Sorry to have to say. Didn´t your GAS lead you to that tasty 28-70? :)

Well, this lens is a real beauty, brushing it off of dust every day:)

45 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Glenn, 100% d´accord:) Back2Basics sounds great. Up to Matt. Using a zoom, awesome. Got my Tokina 28-70 2.6, Nikon mount, boosted on my EF booster.

Helluva awesome lens, beautiful image, no sweat wide open. Optically it is much better than my 24-40 2.8. Sorry to have to say. Didn´t your GAS lead you to that tasty 28-70? :)

Well, this lens is a real beauty, brushing it off of dust every day:)

I haven't bought one yet, but that Tokina/Angenieux lens is on my list. I am so happy with my Tokina 24-40mm and its sister the 35-70mm, I may never end up getting one. However, I do remember I didn't love the 24-40mm on Panasonic cameras. I tested it with the G7 and GX85 and it was meh. On Canons and Nikons, it shines. I am on the lookout for a fast 35-70mm for the 5D3. The Nikkor f/3.5 is probably the way I'll go but I am looking for something entirely different for a one lens solution for an upcoming short. 

6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

You might wanna get the Minolta 35-70mm 3.5 Macro, version 3. It is supposed to be an exellent vintage buy. Get em while it´s affordable. Version 3 is important, like the one on the picture.

Here is an awesome read about it from lens afficiando Phillip Reeve:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/minolta-md-zoom-35-70mm-3-5-review/

minolta 3570macro.jpg

I have that lens and it's awesome. But I can't use it on my 5D3 and you can't use it on a speedbooster... so unless I go Sony FF, it kind of lies in limbo land. I love Minolta lenses but going forward, I have decided that almost any lens I buy needs to adapt to every camera I own. This also keeps me from buying dozens of new lenses to try. Because... seriously I would.

44 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Ouch, flange distance alert:) I could use it on a china booster for m43. Another 100 bucks, oh well, it will have to wait:)

No I'm pretty sure that lens, due to the rear element's design (maybe the macro function) doesn't work with any speedbooster. 

Btw, I read that you can use a "slim md to ef adapter" with an ef speedbooster and get infinity focus. I still think that lens won't work but other MD lenses might. The Minolta MD 24-35mm and 24-50mm are a set of primes in a zoom. I like the 24-35mm better because it is tiny and faster.

I think it was a really old article on Lens Bubbles blog. I tend to doubt it but the guy did have photographic proof. 

How about the  'The SUPER 8 BIT Challenge'

-back to basics filmmaking with extra kudos for older cameras such as GH1 and GH2 and the less gear that is used, the focus is on working around limitations and maximising creativity

-3 to 5 minute short by end of year with as many submissions as you like

-any genre allowed

-No 4K

-All footage to be captured in 1080p and glorious 8bit color

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Definitely, but just to be clear, I do actually work on films. I know I'm on here a lot but I've been shooting a film on the 5D3 since April. My problem is I do have GAS and I want more than one camera. So this idea to go old school, as they say, is my way to stop testing every other camera and work on multiple projects... my more "serious" shorts with the 5D3 and some, for lack of better word, impromptu video/shorts with a GH2.

My hands are pretty damn shaky after a pack a day and a few cups of coffee, so I think I am going to go with a Monopod and a mini slider. Of course, last winter, I had some pretty good results with my Benro Monopod, collapsed with the feet open and pressed against my chest. So maybe some kind of shoulder/chest stock will work well, but I'd like to keep the footprint as tiny as possible... Any ideas?

I've had good results using a shorter camera strap around my neck and then pushing against this so the strap is taut, can get some subtle camera movement with this that looks fairly fluid and stable.  The other thing I use for low-profile filming is a gorilla-pod with the legs pressed against my chest.

2 hours ago, mat33 said:

How about the  'The SUPER 8 BIT Challenge'

-back to basics filmmaking with extra kudos for older cameras such as GH1 and GH2 and the less gear that is used, the focus is on working around limitations and maximising creativity

-3 to 5 minute short by end of year with as many submissions as you like

-any genre allowed

-No 4K

-All footage to be captured in 1080p and glorious 8bit color

I've had good results using a shorter camera strap around my neck and then pushing against this so the strap is taut, can get some subtle camera movement with this that looks fairly fluid and stable.  The other thing I use for low-profile filming is a gorilla-pod with the legs pressed against my chest.

That sounds good to me. I like Super 8 Bit 

And the gorilla pod is a great idea as well. I heard about people doing that years ago and it seems perfect. Thanks. Which gorilla pod do you have? I saw the video SLR model, and it looks promising. 

On 8/6/2017 at 8:08 AM, mercer said:

And the gorilla pod is a great idea as well. I heard about people doing that years ago and it seems perfect. Thanks. Which gorilla pod do you have? I saw the video SLR model, and it looks promising. 

I've owned two gorillapods, one smaller, one larger, and the legs gave out on both after an extremely short time using them. I wouldn't trust putting anything worth over $25 on one of those ever again. The gadget @BTM_Pix showed off might be a safer alternative. 

20 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I've owned two gorillapods, one smaller, one larger, and the legs gave out on both after an extremely short time using them. I wouldn't trust putting anything worth over $25 on one of those ever again. The gadget @BTM_Pix showed off might be a safer alternative. 

You certainly shouldn't use them as a chest or shoulder rig - they're not designed for stresses in that direction - and why even bother? Buy a cheap L shaped flash bracket and glue or tape end to a piece of wood to make a butt plate - or stick in polymorph like I did. Put an arca clamp or ballhead at the other end - or just join it to the camera with a tripod screw. If you need a longer support, add a straight flash bracket. (If this description doesn't make sense, bother me and I'll post an image.)

Using something designed to bend as a rigid support - not good engineering!

Otoh, if you use your strap as a stablizer then a gpod can help as a wrist brace. I agree with jonpais that you should never trust your camera to a gpod alone.

I use the SLR zoom model which I think is the largest, and for a GH size camera it has worked just fine for me, its never collapsed or bent when using it as additional support against my body.  Sure it may not be as sturdy as a specific shoulder or chest rig, but compared to those its very covert and dual purpose when travelling light.

On 6 August 2017 at 1:08 PM, mercer said:

Sorry, I've been swamped recently.  We could 'borrow' one of Kodaks old film challenge logos:

super8_challenge2015.thumb.jpg.af94983fd55d20f9f3699d28f4fa04fa.jpg

19 hours ago, mat33 said:

I use the SLR zoom model which I think is the largest, and for a GH size camera it has worked just fine for me, its never collapsed or bent when using it as additional support against my body.  Sure it may not be as sturdy as a specific shoulder or chest rig, but compared to those its very covert and dual purpose when travelling light.

Sorry, I've been swamped recently.  We could 'borrow' one of Kodaks old film challenge logos:

super8_challenge2015.thumb.jpg.af94983fd55d20f9f3699d28f4fa04fa.jpg

That's a good idea. I like doing a twist on that logo. I guess a separate thread should be made for it, since it's not limited to any specific cameras? 

On 8.8.2017 at 3:52 PM, Fritz Pierre said:

@PannySVHS....the Tokina you refer to (28-70 2.6) was designed by Angenieux and is optically indistinguishable from their very expensive Cine version!...the Tokina is one if the great bargains in lenses and as you know, the image is lovely!

Yes, a very beautiful lens. Just a very short focus throw with very sudden and hard stops at both ends:)

I compared it to the 28mm FD at the wide end. The Canon was even a little bit better resolving wide open, due to being a prime.

That little Canon cost me 20 EU on ebay, if I recall right. One of the greatest lenses in price image ratio I know.

Both the Tokina and the Canon are better at 2.8 than the pricey Olympus Zuiko 28mm F2.0.

Have you shot with the Tokina? I have a soft spot for lens testin footage. Mind to share some, cats and flowers allowed :)

1 hour ago, mercer said:

That's a good idea. I like doing a twist on that logo. I guess a separate thread should be made for it, since it's not limited to any specific cameras? 

Matt, Glenn! You lazy cats. I have been waiting for that thread. Where is it? :)  Get outta this thread and do the great 8bit mattyNglenn super8bit challenge.

• 2 months later...

Hey Ricardo! Really nice camera work, exellent job on that! The music, it sounds a bit like the music you hear in this kind of videos a lot. So it sounded it bit cliché like in many webdoc videos:)

But! We should start the Super 8bit Challenge thread and post it as a challenge with certain rules. Give it its own thread. For my taste that would be fiction shortfilms, to begin with. Also, @mercer and @mat33, these guys should be involved in setting up the challenge, cuz it was their idea and energy.

Anyway, back to your video. Great camera work, superbly done. Some nerd talk: for natural profile, give contrast 0 a try:) Gives even greater tonality for post work, not worrying about pseudodetail in shadows and highlights of the REC709 curve. This is from my experience and from some others in this forum, having started with -5, then going to -2, then settling for 0 for contrast.