Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II vs I - IS still sucks

scotchtape

I haven't tested this extensively yet, and I don't have 2 GH5s to do a scientific test of I vs II but I have noticed that the IS on the mark II is exhibiting jerky behaviour with my crane gimbal that I don't get with the mark I.

Even though the mark 1 is atrocious for video use, the dual IS with the GH5 makes it tolerable with the crane for the most part.  Sometimes it's still a bit jittery.  But with the V2 that I have, I get large and sudden jerks that I never get with the mark 1 (I also have 2x mark 1), especially when starting a motion or changing directions.  Maybe it is just this copy but I was expecting way better for the price.  I know they basically just used the same optics and changed a few things here and there, but if you have a mark 1 and use this for video, do yourself a favor and save some money and stick with it because the mark 2 doesn't improve on the IS (for video) and is actually "worse" because of this issue.  At this point I am not going to use it until I figure out what is going on or if it is just expected behaviour (doesn't seem like there is a firmware update for this yet).

Can't believe this coming from Panasonic... I know they barely updated these lenses and used the same optics, but come on.  This was the number one issue with this lens and they came out with a "new" model and didn't bother fixing it.  Ugh.

Thought I would post my experience because there is very little I can find on I vs II of this lens and actual user experience.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

I haven't tested this extensively yet, and I don't have 2 GH5s to do a scientific test of I vs II but I have noticed that the IS on the mark II is exhibiting jerky behaviour with my crane gimbal that I don't get with the mark I.

Even though the mark 1 is atrocious for video use, the dual IS with the GH5 makes it tolerable with the crane for the most part.  Sometimes it's still a bit jittery.  But with the V2 that I have, I get large and sudden jerks that I never get with the mark 1 (I also have 2x mark 1), especially when starting a motion or changing directions.  Maybe it is just this copy but I was expecting way better for the price.  I know they basically just used the same optics and changed a few things here and there, but if you have a mark 1 and use this for video, do yourself a favor and save some money and stick with it because the mark 2 doesn't improve on the IS (for video) and is actually "worse" because of this issue.  At this point I am not going to use it until I figure out what is going on or if it is just expected behaviour (doesn't seem like there is a firmware update for this yet).

Can't believe this coming from Panasonic... I know they barely updated these lenses and used the same optics, but come on.  This was the number one issue with this lens and they came out with a "new" model and didn't bother fixing it.  Ugh.

Thought I would post my experience because there is very little I can find on I vs II of this lens and actual user experience.

I don't doubt your results. Panny's IS ain't perfect and frustratingly unpredictable at times, (I've found their dual IS disappointing) but wanting it to work flawkessly on a gimball is a false expectation, I think. 

IS is designed to handle shake as the camera remains stationary. 

If you move the camera around the acceleration/deceleration momentum can cause dramatic shifts as the IS makes over corrections.

This is typical with Olympus IS as well, which is generally considered the best available. 

Considering the older Mark 1 does not have this issue, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting better or at the very least the same level of performance considering the price and the fact that they have barely updated this lens besides painting it black.

Except for the micro jitters, the mark 1 does quite well on the gimbal and I use it frequently without other complaints.

The 12-35 also worked pretty well and no complaints there...  Don't think I'm being unreasonable considering I'm not doing anything to crazy.  

It jerks on simple pan motions!!!

They have the capabilities. I remember this being a topic of discussion with the 14-140 mkII as well. Apparently their (newer) power OIS is junk. The older ones with Mega OIS were actually pretty solid. I had the original 14-42 and the OIS was great. I also used the original 14-140. Even on the 140 end, stability was great.

It's the newer ones that have the microjittering for some reason.

Dual IS2 is not great for panning, I think your best bet is to write to Panasonic about this, I already write to them that dual IS2 and panning is bad for video.  That why I got Olympus lens, dont really get those Dual IS2 problems especially panning, and ability to switch to full manual focus instead of fly by wire!

Sometimes I feel there is photo vs video division fighting each other inside the group. POIS is good for photo but not great for video compare to MOIS, same for Dual IS, great for photos but can be problematic for video.

21 hours ago, meanwhile said:

What mode did you have the stabilization in???

I didn't know you could switch them.  I just turned it on and it said dual IS 2.  The mark 1 just says dual IS with GH5.  I know the 70-200mm have different modes, but the Panny just has an on/off switch...

Turning on stabilization while on gimbal usually produces much better footage in my experience.

The complaints are because there are other lenses that work just fine (12-35 f2.8) not to mention the older model that is cheaper.  I would not use OIS for the 35-100mm F2.8 V1 without IBIS, with IBIS the micro jitter issue is vastly improved and it is useable.  But the supposed "improved" v2 does even worse because of the jerks.  WTF...

I will try to write to them (just tried to email on their support page, response: we are not checking this email account anymore), maybe they will issue a firmware fix like they did for the older version.  But they won't do anything unless more people complain.  Until then vote with your wallet!  Don't get this lens for video!

• 9 months later...

The 12-35 does nice handheld, but the 35-100 does get jerky when making very slow moves left to right. Not noticeable at 35, unusable at 100. Seems to kick in around 70mm.

The IS lock in video improves the issue a bit (keep electronic stabilisation off as well), but it seems the IS system has problems with subtle movement, it seems to pause and then overshoot. This should be addressable in firmware I think (or hope ?). Otherwhise, great lens. Just put it on tripod for the 70 to 100 range. Or turn IS off on the lens. Or the IS lock on. ?

On 27/07/2017 at 4:56 AM, ntblowz said:

Sometimes I feel there is photo vs video division fighting each other inside the group.

Makes sense technically - the two uses are at odds with what they would want in terms of behaviour.

For a photo mode you would want the IS to zero out movement to the full extent of its range of movement, but for video that results in a shot that is still and jerks suddenly in the direction of the pan and then becomes still again.  For video you want to have it zero out movement for a percentage of the range of movement, but when motion gets towards the edges you want it to start allowing movement in the frame, this would allow for smooth pans (and transitions between stationary and moving shots) but would provide less stabilisation for stills shooters.

• 9 months later...

I contacted Panasonic about this problem and I feel they want to shift the problem to a defect lens and that it's not a problem with the lens itself. 

I've tested over 10 and all have the same problem. Did anyone contact Panasonic and did they ever acknowledge the problem? If yes, what were they giving as a solution?

I find it quite weird that a 1000usd lens has such big problems, it's pretty unusable after 70mm, making the tele lens not so tele anymore.

Cheers

Jens