Pistol Grip - still relevant?

Dustin

I'm looking for a cheap solution to effectively improve my handheld. Something that is a small form factor but will add another point of contact. I've seen pistol grips for approx 10-15 dollars on eBay/amazon etc. All the YouTube footage I find is at least 4-5 years old. So my situation is this:

using my current kit: Nikon D5300/Tamron 17-50 2.8VC would a pistol grip aid in handheld work, even when shooting 60fps..? I do have a benro monopod but again something like a pistol grip would fit in my bag/pocket whereas the monopod has its own seperate bag

Thoughts? Would it make enough of a diff to warrant a purchase??

Edit: for $15 just picked this up....certainly shouldn't hurt..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
30 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I'm looking for a cheap solution to effectively improve my handheld. Something that is a small form factor but will add another point of contact. I've seen pistol grips for approx 10-15 dollars on eBay/amazon etc. All the YouTube footage I find is at least 4-5 years old. So my situation is this:

using my current kit: Nikon D5300/Tamron 17-50 2.8VC would a pistol grip aid in handheld work, even when shooting 60fps..? I do have a benro monopod but again something like a pistol grip would fit in my bag/pocket whereas the monopod has its own seperate bag

Thoughts? Would it make enough of a diff to warrant a purchase??

Edit: for $15 just picked this up....certainly shouldn't hurt..

I'm going to pimp this again!

Really flexible (literally) thing that can adapt itself to numerous support functions and thanks to the mounting threads all over it can have other things like monitors and recorders attached to it as well.

Folds down small as shown with the diminutive GX80

@BTM_Pix man I forgot about that, certainly looks cool but again a little more than I wanna commit to!

@jonpais yep same one! Figured what the heck, cheap and good reviews.

i will try to post footage when I have the time. Should at least help a tad bit even when using warp stabilizer and I think it will rig the camera up a bit better to feel how I want it to!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Let us know, I use one for my NX500 and NX3000, brings a certain super 8 atmosphere back in videoing family videos.

Do you have footage you can link to?

@Dustin sorry, personal/family videos. It doesn't do much in terms of stabilization, it's just easier to hold (it also has a trigger) and with a view finder (the ones that cover the whole screen) it is exactly like an old camera.

Another trick that works better and it is completely free, is to use the camera strap to hold the camera against the back of your neck (or whatever this part of the body is called!).

If you master this technique you can reach very stable shots and you can start practicing immediately.

Cancelled my order... used the neck strap + Warp stabilized last time and it did help it's just tough to see focus. But I thought about it and I don't shoot enough to warrant buying that I'd rather save my money for a better camera altogether i.e. Gh5/Olympus om2/a6500/g85 etc

• Super Members

I've been asked via PM regarding is it possible to use a pistol grip with the MOVO foldable rig so thought it better to share the answer here in case anyone else needs it.

The answer is yes, you can use one such as this cheapie from Amazon and screw it into the mounting plate either fore or aft of the camera. As the MOVO also has mounting points on all of its arms you could side mount it with any number of adapters if you'd prefer it on either side of the camera. 

Once its on you can then do the usual shaping stuff with the MOVO to use it as a shoulder mount or top handle as shown in the inset pic.

Handle I'm using is this one here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Handheld-Stabilizer-Panasonic-Samsung/dp/B018LQEFL4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501604216&sr=1-1&keywords=Neewer+Camera+Handle+Pistol+Grip

Grip.jpg