Nikon D850 development with 8K timelapse officially announced.

wolf33d

New: the D850 LCD will have twice the resolution of the D810

New: slo-mo full HD 120fps video

New: the SD slot will support UHS-II

New: improved LiveView split-screen display

New: improved silent shooting mode

New: improved battery life

New: lighter than the D810

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/01/additional-nikon-d850-specifications.aspx/#ixzz4oXaQLgFn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So what's the consensus on this? $4k ish for 4K, finally 1080p 120fps slow mo, Ibis, full frame sensor.. still not Sony/canon level continuous auto focus right? For that price you could buy 2 g85/a6300 plus lenses. I do love my Nikon though and can't imagine how detailed 40+ mgpixel stills would be 

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

So what's the consensus on this? $4k ish for 4K, finally 1080p 120fps slow mo, Ibis, full frame sensor.. still not Sony/canon level continuous auto focus right? For that price you could buy 2 g85/a6300 plus lenses. I do love my Nikon though and can't imagine how detailed 40+ mgpixel stills would be 

I have an aging D800 that I've been thinking of upgrading for a while, so I'd be interested in a D850. I'd probably sell my D500 for the D850, if it shoots as fast as the rumours say and has 120fps slomo video.

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

I do love me some good slow mo!

Hell yeah! I just got a C100 mk2 and the only thing it didn't do was 120fps. I'd been looking at maybe an A6500 or a GH5 to fill that gap, but if I could get something I can use for more than just slomo then that would be ideal. I keep saying I'm ready to sell up and go to Sony, but then Nikon dribbles out a feature that I want...!

• Administrators
On 03/08/2017 at 2:47 PM, Eric Calabros said:

If they wanted to make a A99II clone, why didn't tweak the already available 42MP sensor instead of fabricating new one that naturally will be more expensive? 

Because time moves in a forwards direction!

The 42MP sensor came out in 2015, it's practically 2014 tech!

Thankfully Sony isn't Canon and they do go forwards rather than use the same sensor tech for 10 years. Or even backwards with 6D Mark II.

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It should be called the Nikon A99 II :)

If it matches the video of the A99, also has decent AF, and lets folk use their Nikon glass natively, that would be an decent option for those invested in Nikon glass.
On the other hand if they brought out a video oriented D750 upgrade, 24 MP full frame sensor down sampled to 4K (A9 style) for half the money, then you can keep the 40+ MP camera.

Can someone more tech minded tell me why noone has brought out a 39 mp full frame.  My back of fag packet calculations tell me that's an 8k 16:9 window, computational ly easy to downsample to 4k, 39 mp is craploads of pixels...

On 03/08/2017 at 1:47 PM, Eric Calabros said:

If they wanted to make a A99II clone, why didn't tweak the already available 42MP sensor instead of fabricating new one that naturally will be more expensive? 

The existing D810 sensor has a lower base ISO than that of the A7R or A7Rii/A99ii. Their photography users will likely call foul if Nikon produces a new camera that's worse in that regard, so they need to keep parity in that area, while being competitive in megapixel count with both its Sony competition and the 5DS(r) on Canon's side.

On 8/6/2017 at 8:31 AM, gethin said:

Can someone more tech minded tell me why noone has brought out a 39 mp full frame.  My back of fag packet calculations tell me that's an 8k 16:9 window, computational ly easy to downsample to 4k, 39 mp is craploads of pixels...

That's what the 42 MP sensor is for? 
A full downsample from 8K to 4K seems to be beyond current processors, but at least line-skipping gives a tidy 4K matrix of pixels, even if the gaps can lead to more aliasing.
The 4K full frame out of the A99II seems fairly clean, when in theory it should be roughly the same as the A7Rii - is there some clever voodoo going on there then?

3 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

That's what the 42 MP sensor is for? 
A full downsample from 8K to 4K seems to be beyond current processors, but at least line-skipping gives a tidy 4K matrix of pixels, even if the gaps can lead to more aliasing.
The 4K full frame out of the A99II seems fairly clean, when in theory it should be roughly the same as the A7Rii - is there some clever voodoo going on there then?

The d810 doesn't has Strong aliasing compared to the d800, the d850 will probably do the Same with 4k.

On 7/25/2017 at 6:40 PM, Mattias Burling said:

I'm not sure who did this first. Panasonic did it with the GH5 but I have a vague memory of Fuji doing the same, but might be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure this has been around for years and years, decades! The doing pre announcements that is.

on those leaked chinese slides that this info is taken from the last but one was translated as:"features for video" followed by "empty page".  Inference hopefully is there are some to follow, not none at all!

So apart from waiting for some sample footage, I guess we're still waiting on

codec, data rates, peaking, zebras, (anything else?)

it was also pointed out on nikon rumors that the high iso is conservative.