gx85 to gh5?

gethin

Got a chance to buy a gh5 on special :)  Should I pull the pin?  Anyone out there used it and the gx85?  I'm currently liking the look I'm getting out of the gx85 (with the cinelike hack), but would trade it if the paper gains of the gh5 are real (like if the footage really is more gradable, or will it just fall apart with noise?)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If not grading it much then the IQ is pretty much the same. For grading the 10bit files are outstanding and makes playing with vlog very enjoyable. 8bit at 4k50p is also great to have, as are the much easier ergonomics and buttons and operation, screen, evf, inputs, full size hdmi, better battery, better ibis and options. Having both the GX85 and the GH5 would grant you even more options of course. In an ideal world I'd have a second GH5.

The quick answer is it really is more gradable and there is quite a lot of examples out there you can download and try out. But also having the second cam around is handy. 

@gethin I'm not disagreeing at all with @Orangenz, but is it the GX85 that is holding you back from making that feature film or whatever it is you're working on? Because for two grand, you could get yourself a whole lot of gear: a nice motorized slider, a single handed brushless gimbal stabilizer, a decent microphone, and an HD monitor, as well as some LED lights - equipment that you could use for years to come and which will increase your production value far more than the latest and greatest camera, which you'll probably upgrade in a couple of years down the road anyhow. Out of curiosity, what are the issues you're having with grading footage from the camera you already own?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@gethin I'm not disagreeing at all with @Orangenz, but is it the GX85 that is holding you back from making that feature film or whatever it is you're working on? Because for two grand, you could get yourself a whole lot of gear: a nice motorized slider, a single handed brushless gimbal stabilizer, a decent microphone, and an HD monitor, as well as some LED lights - equipment that you could use for years to come and which will increase your production value far more than the latest and greatest camera, which you'll probably upgrade in a couple of years down the road anyhow. Out of curiosity, what are the issues you're having with grading footage from the camera you already own?

I second that completely!

well have decided to wait to hear all about the d850.  I'm currently using a d5500 on a gimbal, and the gx85 for bits and bobs. But the cinelike look is making me think about shooting with it on the gimbal instead BUT is lacks 4k 60, and its 1080 60 is horrible.   I've just started shooting with the phantom 4 pro and it's 4k cuts quite nicely with the 4k from the gx85, the d5500 1080 is beginning to stand out like dogs balls.  

soooooo my main motivation for getting it would be 4k 50 and to be able to push the files round a bit more, which I tend to.  

on the other hand my d800 is on its last legs.  My ideal camera would be a mirrorless nikon with the same DR as the d800 shooting full frame 4K vid. How hard could it be? ;)

what's the point of pushing the files around a bit more? what is it you're trying to achieve? waiting around for the next great camera sounds like just a weak excuse not to go out and shoot. why can't they build a full frame camera with 4k 240fps, no crop, no aliasing, 1000 bit, 4:4:4 for $100.00?

jonpais I shoot at least every week, its my job, i"m not able to make excuses, weak or otherwise: It pays my mortgage.  I currently use the d800 for stils and the d5500 on a gimbal for video.  Having one camera to do both would speed up my workflow and reduce my hassle immensely. Currently there is no camera that shoots stills with the same DR as the d800 and full frame 4k.  If I went the a7r2 I'd have to change lenses to shoot 4k crop defeating the purpose. A7s2 does not have the same DR so I'd have to bracket stills meaning longer in post. D810 is a possibility but its very heavy for gimbal work blah blah blah.

If I want to grade my work a lot, whats it to you? I like it.  And why would you frame my flippant comment about a 4k mirrorless nikon as a childish plea for a new toy?

• 4 weeks later...

can anyone tell me if the gh5 displays the shutter speed in A mode?  I just replaced my d5500 with the gx85 for a shoot and realised you cant see what the shutter speed is. Bonkers.  Also not loving the highlight roll-off or dynamic range. GH5 any better?

15 minutes ago, gethin said:

can anyone tell me if the gh5 displays the shutter speed in A mode?  I just replaced my d5500 with the gx85 for a shoot and realised you cant see what the shutter speed is. Bonkers.  

The shutter speed should appear when you half press the shutter and will display for 5 or 10 seconds after you take a photo too. 

1 hour ago, gethin said:

but it doesn't display anywhere whilst shooting? pressing shutter no good to me on a gimbal!

I'm missing half the phone call here. Are you not shooting photos? I thought you said something about photos. For video on the GH5 I am in a custom video mode manual, usually with auto iso set from 200 to 1600, shutter angle set to 180 degrees. In bright conditions I lock to iso 200 and use the ND filter.

And if you're talking about video on the gx85 I hope you're using cine D to get the most DR 

On 7/25/2017 at 2:52 AM, Hene1 said:

I find V-Log unusable colorwise and I don't see a big difference between 10 bit and 8 bit footage.

hmm ok, whatever.
We are basically talking about a consumer codec with REC709 space limited to 10 stops max vs. a professional tool with a 10 bit codec, ACES enabled workflow using V-log, no banding, no macroblocking and an almost perfect noise texture here (sharpening and nr at -5, 10 bit codec).

I have the GH5 since June and the gf just got her GX80 yesterday (we spent 2h walking around randomly and photographing stuff).

Obviously the pictures and videos look more or less the same (besides that she doesn't have V-Log L and me being rather indifferent to minuscule nuances in color differences) and there's all the differences you find on the spec sheet (10bit, 150 Mbit/s, slow motion framerates, burst shooting, etc.).

GH5 lies subjectively better in the hand, has better EVF, fully articulating screen, more buttons & wheels & the joystick while the GX80 is smaller, has the screen that swivels (keeping the footprint smaller than flipping it out to the side). Big lenses balance better on the GH5 but then you'll never get that into your coat pocket with the 20 1.7 on.

Horses for courses, best have both :grimace: We've put the GH5 into a cage for rigged handheld shooting, the GX80 will go on the gimbal. The GH5 is for shooting during the day, the GX80 you can also bring to a restaurant for pics, etc.

On 8/23/2017 at 6:53 AM, tweak said:

I was pretty sceptic about the GH5 at first, I ended up pulling the trigger on a good deal and I'm glad I did. Easily worth the money to me, the quality/spec is amazing for the price. I came from GH4/gx85. If you're doing paid jobs/ you're serious about video, then the GH5 will not disappoint. 

Since you've been a major proponent of ML Raw, how would you compare the two?

Sorry to the OP for the OT.

I started with the GX85 and then got the GH5, couldn't be happier. 

10bit Vlog on the GH5 grades very nicely and it has 4k60 8bit, which has been a life saver. 

Right out of the camera, 4k footage from the D850 should look nicer. But Nikon doesn't have a log profile.

On 24/08/2017 at 5:00 PM, mercer said:

Since you've been a major proponent of ML Raw, how would you compare the two?

Sorry to the OP for the OT.

MLRaw is RICH. I'm still shooting MLRaw for sure, but GH5 is another tool in my bag. For most gigs I shoot with the GH5 4K60p and 1080 120fps as it's a better tool, if I'm shooting something that needs the richest look I use MLRaw. It's like the Mayweather Vs McGreggor fight, the GH5 is a MMA fighter, it's never going to beat 14Bit raw in a fight of colour accuracy and richness... however, shooting with an ML hacked camera you can't even shoot 4K 60p or 120fps... there's no comparison to be made in that regard.

In summary I'm still pretty impressed by GH5s colours and DR, especially coming from GH4, I don't think anyone could be dissapointed with this camera unless they use AF a lot, something which I basically never use since I shoot mostly vintage glass and anamorphics. (I use GH5 with Metabones XL).