240fps: When?

Window_Frame

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, aldolega said:

Not with full pixel readout, no way, not in a year. Unless it's a native 1080p (2MP) sensor. I think we'd be lucky to see continuous clean(full pixel readout) 120p in the next year. Aren't the RX cams doing some sort of binning in 120p mode?

with clean 4K 60p the GH5 should be able to give us pixel perfect 120fps in HD. Unfortunately it doesn´t. Perfect HD up to 60p, still nice up to 75fps HFR mode, from

there on it´s not getting better:

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-GH5-Sensor-Verhalten---Aufloesung--Slowmo--Rolling-Shutter---Slow-Motion.html#Slow_

• Administrators

No shame in pixel binning if done right.

The Sony A99 II does very detailed 120fps from a 42MP sensor! It has hardly any moire.

Don't know what the RX100 IV and V do in 120fps but the quality is the same as the full pixel readout 1080p mode.

A full pixel readout is still binned for 1080p... Just on the image processor, not the sensor.

17 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

with clean 4K 60p the GH5 should be able to give us pixel perfect 120fps in HD. Unfortunately it doesn´t. Perfect HD up to 60p, still nice up to 75fps HFR mode, from

there on it´s not getting better:

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Panasonic-GH5-Sensor-Verhalten---Aufloesung--Slowmo--Rolling-Shutter---Slow-Motion.html#Slow_

If you go strictly by counting pixels, 4K60 is equivalent to 1080p240- both give you 497,664,000 pixels per second of output resolution. But processing that info is apparently not just a matter of sheer pixel count- at some point there's a time restriction independent of pixel count. Meaning 1/240th of a second is just not enough time to process the sensor's output into HD (2,073,600 pixels), while 1/60th of a second is enough time to process it into 8,294,400 pixels (four times the pixels but also four times longer to do it). So it seems binning or skipping or some other shortcut is introduced after a certain point, to reduce the amount of data being processed, and allowing the higher framerates.

17 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No shame in pixel binning if done right.

The Sony A99 II does very detailed 120fps from a 42MP sensor! It has hardly any moire.

Don't know what the RX100 IV and V do in 120fps but the quality is the same as the full pixel readout 1080p mode.

A full pixel readout is still binned for 1080p... Just on the image processor, not the sensor.

I wasn't assigning shame though, just giving my opinion on the answer to his question, which specified full pixel readout. I assumed this excluded other methods, which may very well be perfectly acceptable for most people's uses (like your A99II example).

I don't think conflating scaling with binning is accurate, or helpful.