Lens test Kowa Prominar 16 H - Sony Zeiss / Minolta MC

Dick Sweeney

Heres a few lenses tested in stills mode - The Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 is sharp as - where as the Minolta MC 58 1.2 is loose and funky as hell. I need to get the Novoflex Minolta adaptor to iron out some of the issues - most of the funk lies at 1.2 - stopping it down reduces the life out of it - I think at F2 a happy medium can be struck although you loose those blacks which have that nice veiling flare.

_DSC7970.jpg

_DSC8436.jpg

_DSC8456.jpg

_DSC8818.jpg

_DSC8822.jpg

_DSC9005.jpg

_DSC9105.jpg

_DSC9136.jpg

_DSC9230.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this information.

I really like my GH5 - Metabones Speedbooster 0.67XL - Minolta Rokkor PG 58/1.2 EOS mount and B&H Kowa 2X combination.

I use the great Rapido anamorphic lens clamp V2.

I recently purchased a Porst 55/1.2 in Pentax K mount.  Need to get a dremel tool to mod certain parts of the mount to have this fully useful for my configuration.  Hope to do this soon.

So your Rokkor 58 1.2 ends up being .1.  or a  .95 !!!!    IS anything in focus with it wide open - I'm sure it would look lovely !  The Porst 1.2 should be nice - I need to play with mine a bit more - I wasnt that keen on the top and bottom edges being so soft..... but my test was very basic.

Sorry, yes, it's the 0.64 XL Metabones I have.

Oh, yes, things are in focus.  *8^)   And yes, I shoot it at 1.2, though, i guess the B&H Kowa 2X would be the limiting factor, no?

I use the Rokkor 58/1.2 for the character.  I have yet to do any real work with this combo, just play. 

I am just a hobbiest, and suffer from a full time max stress job, so, I am still learning all of this.

Here is a STILL I took - Panasonic GH5 - Minolta Rokkor PG 58/1.2 EOS mount- Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster - Bell & Howell Kowa 2X - cheap 4+ diopter

The full sized image dimensions are - 10368x3888

_1044248-resized.jpg

Hmm, looks horrible against a white background.

Shrug...

Epic Buggz - I know how hard it is to get anything in focus with such a lens and then the Ana !!!! I just tested again with my new novoflex adapter - to see if there was more clarity and it certainly helps - although its not the sharpest combo - its certainly the most characterful.