Panasonic Lumix G80 / G81 unlimited recording

Frank Sonneberg

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So I just tried the "hack" with the two G80's I recently received (from a UK seller). I couldn't get unlimited recording working on either of them sadly. Thanks for the tip about pressing the DISP button though. The video I saw didn't mention it and I was left unable to restore the original recording framerates!

Hi,

Also bought my G80 from UK and still not find solution for the 30 mn time limit. :angry:

To restore initial settings, you have to use the right button.

You can see this service manual who explain all (same as gx80), page 20 : 

http://www.panasonic.com/content/dam/pim/au/en/DM/DMC-GX/DMC-GX85GN/LUMIX GX85 Operation Manual.pdf

The click on this link strangly doesn't work, so you have to copy and paste it directly in your web browser.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 11:13 AM, jonpais said:

Thanks, Grimor. The screen grab above is from the BMD Video Assist, 1080p, ProRes 4:2:2. I shot at ISO 400, SOOC. I was shooting with the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. Below is a comparison between the 4K from the G85 (top) and the 1080p file from the Video Assist (bottom). Again, ISO 400, SOOC. Incidentally, I just made a split screen clip of the two files below on a 1080p timeline, exported it and uploaded it to YouTube. YT compression just kills 1080p, so if you're planning on using a video sharing website, I'd go with 4K.

Edit: I send 4K to the Video Assist. Sorry, I didn't understand the question at first. :) 

4K.png

ProRes 1080p.png

This shows the problem of the BMVA (and the 4k version) which do not have master level settings. Set the camera to 16-255 and there shouldn't be a difference.

• 8 months later...
On 12/23/2017 at 11:15 PM, Serafí Lliteres ? said:

No solution here for the 30 minutes limit. Seems there's no way for the moment to unlock it.

Any progress since 2017 in discovering if there is a hidden unlimited recording mode for the Panasonic G85?

In the quest to find vlog or any other high bit rate modes, i send thousand of html request to my camera. (Thanks BTM lord, you show us the way to your holy light)

Only 2 weird hidden formats appeared with corrupts .mov file sistem and when we could recover the files, they were no high bitrates at the end.

So no succes.

• 1 year later...

Hi i bought my camera second hand its a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 and every time i turn it off a giant yellow ! appears. i asked my friend about it he said it was because he tried and failed to remove the recording limit. does anyone know how to factory reset this (other then in the menu cos i tried that) or to fix it, i dont care about a longer recording time or removing the limit i just the ! gone 

13 hours ago, Cally said:

Hi i bought my camera second hand its a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 and every time i turn it off a giant yellow ! appears. i asked my friend about it he said it was because he tried and failed to remove the recording limit. does anyone know how to factory reset this (other then in the menu cos i tried that) or to fix it, i dont care about a longer recording time or removing the limit i just the ! gone 

Have a look online about upgrading the firmware, which may overwrite whatever is going on.

If it's got the latest version of the firmware then see if you can find an older version and try and install that, then install the latest one over the top of it so you're back to the latest features.

Often firmware upgrades can be triggered via having a file on the SD card and holding down a button on startup, so may not require the menus to work, see if you can get lucky with it.  Otherwise, trying to get around the recording limit essentially voids the warranty, so if it's bricked, then it's bricked.

13 hours ago, Cally said:

Did you try the procedure, "Reverting back to initial state," given in the first post of this thread?

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, George1994 said:

Forgot to mention that my camera is the G80 and is giving me the "error 0A" when press the WB 2 times in order to restore it to the factory default.

Anybody has any idea has to resolve it?

Thank you,

George

20211011_112119.jpg.a2d2b7e28b7bb3a0528d6e05eb5d0cca.jpg

I think you have to push "disp" button to exit "strict mode" first. 

Is on page 18 of the service manual

Screenshot_20211012_115021_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_20211012_115029_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_20211012_115058_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

32 minutes ago, Grimor said:

I think you have to push "disp" button to exit "strict mode" first. 

Is on page 18 of the service manual

Screenshot_20211012_115021_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_20211012_115029_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Screenshot_20211012_115058_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Thank you very much for your help, the problem is resolved and my camera is back to factory default.

I do not have the service manual, so I wasn't aware about the above pages.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for pulling up this old topic, but I registered here just to say a big THANK YOU for this thread, specially to the user Grimor.
I stumbled upon a Youtube video how to hack the recording time limitation but of course it didn't work out for my G81 (80/85) as well and I was very unhappy with the exclamation mark.
This topic here seems to be the only source on the whole WWW for solving this problem.

So, once again: thank you so much.