Nikon Flaat 11 on D5300 PNG examples from Travel Video

Dustin

Below are stills from a recent travel video I made. The video was shot on my nikon d5300 with a tamron 17-50 2.8. Everything I shot at 60fps slowed down to 23.976 for that cinematic look. But if anyone is curious on the results you can get from shooting in FLAAT 11 on Nikon below are some examples. I will say I've only had decent results shooting in good light. Secondly, I am no colorist and I was using an Osiris lut on this. I am trying to go for a very stylistic, miami/beach vibe. I was happy with the end result for a fun little travel video. I might post a link to the video but below are some stills. Curious to know your guys thoughts. Yes I know on the beach flat/color grade file I went a little overboard per the sky. Love the colors in that lut though...

---edit---

I realize these are not the sharpest shots but as I'm not sure if I can share this video yet due to family members being in it this is just some examples....

beach flat.png

beach color grade.png

beach 2 flat.png

beach 2 color grade.png

car color grade.png

car flat.png

pool color grade.png

pool flat.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks cool! Gotta love those Nikon colors. Btw, I didn't forget about the GX85 vs D5500 video... honestly I was bored by it. Simply put, the IBIS is good with the GX85, way better than I was able to get handheld with D5500. The GX85 has a more perceived sharpness by downscaling the 4K to 1080p ProRes before I brought it into FCPX but I also converted the Nikon footage to ProRes as well and it took the same amount of time to convert 45-50 Nikon h.264 files to ProRes as it did to downscale 4 4K GX85 to 1080p ProRes. Also, the Nikon files were easier to get a pleasing, simple correction/grade with and in the end, the colors looked better. So, if you want IBIS and 4K, get a GX85... if you want better colors and small files and really good 1080p... keep your Nikon, or upgrade to the D5500 for the Flat Profile. If you want the best of both worlds... minus the 4K... maybe look at the Olympus e-m5 mk ii. 

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Looks cool! Gotta love those Nikon colors. Btw, I didn't forget about the GX85 vs D5500 video... honestly I was bored by it. Simply put, the IBIS is good with the GX85, way better than I was able to get handheld with D5500. The GX85 has a more perceived sharpness by downscaling the 4K to 1080p ProRes before I brought it into FCPX but I also converted the Nikon footage to ProRes as well and it took the same amount of time to convert 45-50 Nikon h.264 files to ProRes as it did to downscale 4 4K GX85 to 1080p ProRes. Also, the Nikon files were easier to get a pleasing, simple correction/grade with and in the end, the colors looked better. So, if you want IBIS and 4K, get a GX85... if you want better colors and small files and really good 1080p... keep your Nikon, or upgrade to the D5500 for the Flat Profile. If you want the best of both worlds... minus the 4K... maybe look at the Olympus e-m5 mk ii. 

Appreciate it mercer! Honestly, I was really impressed by some of the shots I got in this video. Hopefully I can share it if so I'll post a link. I was renewed shooting with it for a week. With a little practice and some warp stabilizer it's not impossible to get a decently steady shot on this. Just takes more effort!

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Appreciate it mercer! Honestly, I was really impressed by some of the shots I got in this video. Hopefully I can share it if so I'll post a link. I was renewed shooting with it for a week. With a little practice and some warp stabilizer it's not impossible to get a decently steady shot on this. Just takes more effort!

Yup, Nikon is one of the most fun little cameras to shoot with, but not a lot of people realize it. It has its quirks, but you get used to them fairly quickly. If you're content, then maybe a new lens is in order instead of a new camera?

I've posted this before, but this was all handheld with my D5500, a 28mm f/2 lens and I just used my Benro Monopod with the ball loose and the feet pressed against my shoulder. I think a simple shoulder pod or something would work better but having that extra point of contact was helpful. I think Edelkrone makes a Pocket Rig that is real small that has a chest/shoulder pad.

It's kinda long and boring, so you can just scrub through it in a few spots to see the steadiness... of course it helps that I shot it in 60p as well. 

• Super Members

If you're looking for a cheap, small and ludicrously flexible rig solution then definitely check this out.

Because it can be articulated in all directions you can make whatever you want out of it. What's interesting is if you make it be a shoulder mount you can lock it onto your shoulder like a hook.

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you're looking for a cheap, small and ludicrously flexible rig solution then definitely check this out.

Because it can be articulated in all directions you can make whatever you want out of it. What's interesting is if you make it be a shoulder mount you can lock it onto your shoulder like a hook.

Bro! That does look nifty! I was thinking something like that or a gorilla pod like every Youtuber and their moms use..

2 hours ago, Bizz said:

Oh man...You made me miss my D5300 :( Now i have a G80. The PNGs look really nice.

Appreciate it man! Just enjoy whatever you shoot man. I got some great shots with the d5300  and I'm sure you can get great shots with g80!

13 hours ago, Dustin said:

Appreciate it man! Just enjoy whatever you shoot man. I got some great shots with the d5300  and I'm sure you can get great shots with g80!

I really loved the image that the D5300 produces (with flaat_10 or 11) but it was a pain in the ass using it with lenses with no aperture ring :)  Basically thats why i sold it.

7 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

It's a pity the Nikon Hacker raw video thing never seemed to go anywhere. Imagine ML-esq raw on the D5300 or D750 etc.. :astonished:

Agreed! I've come to not like the standard profile at times especially with how it crushes the blacks but other than that it produces a fine image in the right hands/with the right support gear!